Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Best of luck! I know it's extra stressful at this time. My wife just gave birth 2 weeks ago and days after, the news posted they had confirmed Coronavirus patients at that hospital. Think we dodged a bullet, but now we are due to go in for vaccines in a few weeks. The last place I want to be taking little man is to a medical center with the masses.

Our pediatrician is doing teleconference wellness visits and mobile/drivethrough vaccinations. Hopefully yours will come up with something. You definitely dont want to be inside a healthcare facility.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

1586209668354.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Interesting to see how it literally triples from 30s to 40s to 50s on co-morbidity factors. Age truly is the biggest killer for this.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My sister was just admitted to the hospital. Won't know if it's COVID-19 for sure until five days when the results come back but the doctors strongly suspect that it's COVID. Shitty.

• 8Solidarity
  • 4Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 11 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I know, it's conspiracy theory stuff, but is it coincidence or just epidemiological statistics that some of the most common disease states in the US are also the most lethal comorbidities? Diabetes and hypercholesterolemia are much more common here than in China. About 1/3rd of adults in the US have hypertension as compared to about 13% in China.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's pretty lame to list "hyperlipidemia" as a comorbidity and not obesity. Plenty of people have high cholesterol that aren't fat, and it's a stretch to call that a "condition". I'd be more interested to know how many of them are actually fat.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's pretty lame to list "hyperlipidemia" as a comorbidity and not obesity. Plenty of people have high cholesterol that aren't fat, and it's a stretch to call that a "condition". I'd be more interested to know how many of them are actually fat.
The vast majority would be my guess

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What the data supports is basically common sense. Human beings above age 70 are on the downside of life. Not saying it to be mean just factual. We weren't designed to live for a century. We can in outliers beyond 2 standard deviations but not generally. Our bodies aren't as strong at that point.

I am curious if they find underlying health issues in the 20 and 30 something victims we haven't identified yet that made them more susceptible. Maybe lifestyle choices or a non-apparent health problem.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Japan is going to get hit extremely hard especially due to their older population, and it's going to be compounded by their very slow start.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My sister was just admitted to the hospital. Won't know if it's COVID-19 for sure until five days when the results come back but the doctors strongly suspect that it's COVID. Shitty.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully the quicker test works and gets sent out faster. Baton Rouge got picked for 2 walk in clinics to do test they said could ID it in <15 minutes.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Experiencing the same thing. I do ER shifts a few times a month between ICU/anae. It’s like we’re all on top of each other to see the few ptt that actually show up. Corona suspect are diverted to corona admittance wards. And the ICU is 1/3 full after diverting all non-critical OP anae personal to ICU. It’s really weird. Either we’re too good at isolation, or we’ve yet to be hit full on.
All the models say outside of NY we're far from the peak.

IMO these problems are the result of one size fits all federal guidance, but that may have been the only politically viable strategy.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
All the models say outside of NY we're far from the peak.

IMO these problems are the result of one size fits all federal guidance, but that may have been the only politically viable strategy.
You realize you're replying to Izo Izo who lives in another country, quite different from the US...

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Figured I'd add some updates on how non-medical and non-service industry is being affected from my own personal experience.

So I do technical sales of industrial manufacturing equipment. This often includes walk-in freezers as part of the production process. Our walk-in freezer vendor let us know this week that lead times are going to be increased over the next couple months as they prioritize state governments that have been contacting them needing temporary cold storage for the impending wave of dead bodies.

We're also completely dry on our supply of ethanol and very limited on access to isopropyl as it's all being routed to hand sanitizer. Our ration for our customers is 83 gallons of isopropyl per week. For my largest clients, they go through that quantity every 20-30 minutes.

I import about a million dollars in goods per year from a factory in northern Italy. Things are so bad over there that even though this company's equipment is widely used in food and medical fields, they've been forcibly shut down by the government for the last few weeks and it's been extended to at least May. They've applied for an exemption and we'll just have to see how that goes. I have a big system that was supposed to ship in March that is delaying the onboarding of a new $13M facility in the US by at least 2 months.

Two facilities I work with are dumping their 2020 equipment budgets into paid time off for employees to prevent layoffs. The group of owners of both are running production themselves while the employees are all home. So not only are they very limited with the amount of product being made, it's also severely dampening their expansion plans by 6 months to 2 years. That, or they may have to seek outside investment and sell off part of the company to keep expanding.

I do believe that the measures taken so far have been necessary but there's a degree of difficulty in personally watching the economy collapse day by day and week by week.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
My wife and I work for a large restaurant company, ~180k employees across multiple brands. About half of the restaurant employees were furloughed with 4 weeks of pay and medical (thru April). I got word today that everyone at corporate got 10-50% pay cut. We both got 20% which sucks but we're able to handle it. It's got ta be hard for those restaurant people. That like 90k people.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just some anecdotal stuff from me.

My massage therapists brother-in-law died yesterday from covid. Youngest person to die in Indiana so far, under 40. He was obese, just recently got over normal pneumonia so he was a perfect target for it. My previous massage therapist in the same studio also has it.

A few people from work have it, and my departments first shift crew just all got put on quarantine because one of them tested positive today and they all work closely together. One of them is a really good friend of mine, hope he does alright. I sent him some words of encouragement today after he found out he can’t come to work tomorrow.

38BEDBAA-85D1-43C3-9FC1-8C05067AFCF5.jpeg

A whole shitstorm of people in my life, all today!

• 3Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
18,000 jobs. Poof. One shot. I am getting close to hating our elected officials almost as much as I hate Islamic jihadists. I am honestly surprised violence hasn't begun yet.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>