Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
One of my best friends is a pilot in the Air Force. He's approaching 15 years and is retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. When he notified his CO he asked him what it would take to keep him in the force and his response was "massive systemic changes in how the American military operates". I rofl'ed really hard when he told me that.
Sounds like he was at the end of his career, no matter what. So many people just don't brown nose enough to make O-6+

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Getting Lt. Col in 15 years is alarmingly fast? Most officers I met got Major at like 12 years in. You end up being an O3 for like 6 years minimum

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Getting Lt. Col in 15 years is alarmingly fast? Most officers I met got Major at like 12 years in. You end up being an O3 for like 6 years minimum

It's a little faster nowadays, you get Major in the AF in 10, LtCol usually around 15. Usually still need 20 to retire though unless you qualify for early retirement due to medical or them doing a round of cutbacks.

Back to the topic, I think it being "permanently disqualifying" is an asinine knee-jerk reaction, even if it is waiverable.

My initial thinking was that if you make a virus that could theoretically infect that large a percentage of the the U.S. a permanently disqualifying condition, you are going to limit your recruiting pool so much that it will make it impossible to make your goals with quality recruits. But then I realized that the number of military applicants goes up whenever the economy goes in the shitter...so I guess it all balances out? Good for the military I guess? It's kind of fucked up.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unless you are a prepper who hasn't left your shelter, everyone is going to get exposed to it at some point.

• 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
MLB tested 5,754 employees (seems mostly a combination of players + front office types). Just 60 of them tested positive for antibodies. Because math, that's between a 0.28% and 1.15% rate of prior infection.

Quick ESPN plug because I haven't taken the time to look up the study.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Sure but is shutting down gyms killing people more than corona? I've got a hard time believing that. I know the importance of exercise
Like much of the shutdown outrage it's an overreaction to the loss of a trivial preference.

Nobody said stop exercising, they just closed the disgusting sweatboxes where people congregate to exercise in ridiculously close proximity to each other.

Gyms were gross and unappealing before covid. Reasonable people wouldn't want to go the gym right now anyway, and find other ways to exercise.

There are no health risks to missing legs day or whatever the gym fetishists are upset about missing.

• 1Potato
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Like much of the shutdown outrage it's an overreaction to the loss of a trivial preference.

Nobody said stop exercising, they just closed the disgusting sweatboxes where people congregate to exercise in ridiculously close proximity to each other.

Gyms were gross and unappealing before covid. Reasonable people wouldn't want to go the gym right now anyway, and find other ways to exercise.

There are no health risks to missing legs day or whatever the gym fetishists are upset about missing.

trumpwrong.gif

Are some gyms cramped with way too many members and no personal space? Of course. Is every gym like this? No. I am a reasonable person and I am ready for my gym to be open and will absolutely go to it when it does (which will hopefully be in 9 days)

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah idk, the numbers aren't yet trending down where I live, I'm not rushing out to hit any gyms or restaurants or anything. My wife still orders food and it drives me nuts. We're like kids playing a pretend quarantine game. I don't know if that's the right answer or not but wut do, you only get one fuckup so...

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah idk, the numbers aren't yet trending down where I live, I'm not rushing out to hit any gyms or restaurants or anything. My wife still orders food and it drives me nuts. We're like kids playing a pretend quarantine game. I don't know if that's the right answer or not but wut do, you only get one fuckup so...
Aren't you in Northern VA? Numbers are decreasing

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Aren't you in Northern VA? Numbers are decreasing
Yeah. I just read yesterday that numbers are increasing, but overall % of those tested coming out positive was decreasing. I'm probably worried for nothing, no doubt, but you know how it is, no idea who to bellieve and I have a kid who is supposed to be at risk for complications.This morning I looked at 3 different sources for numbers, all 3 slightly different. Fuckin lol.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah. I just read yesterday that numbers are increasing, but overall % of those tested coming out positive was decreasing. I'm probably worried for nothing, no doubt, but you know how it is, no idea who to bellieve and I have a kid who is supposed to be at risk for complications.This morning I looked at 3 different sources for numbers, all 3 slightly different. Fuckin lol.
You should be able to get FOUO stuff from CDC and DoD which will be the most accurate, assuming you still work on Belvoir or whatever.

What are you doing about childcare? We are freaking out because slowly every single camp we were going to utilize is closing this summer. Silver lining is like 5k saved though

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You should be able to get FOUO stuff from CDC and DoD which will be the most accurate, assuming you still work on Belvoir or whatever.

What are you doing about childcare? We are freaking out because slowly every single camp we were going to utilize is closing this summer. Silver lining is like 5k saved though
Nah I got out of the govt stuff except for some light consulting.

No camps or anything this year, we were looking at a couple of things out at the Workhouse Arts Center in Burke but as far as I know everything is cancelled now.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Building a skate park for my kids in the back yard. It's going to be a looong summer.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Preschool being closed.for the rest of the year saved me a few grand

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
96380354_2935884899833010_8263917828017487872_n.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users