Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
EHR (electronic healthcare records) data trading in the USA is about 30 years behind the curve. It's why legislation like "meaningful use" had to be passed so patients could actually get access to their own goddamn health records. Doctors are fucking terrible about adjusting to the times.

Here we are in twenty fucking twenty, and I am still requesting faxed clinical from 70 year old biddy office managers who refuse to submit PDFs through our online portal.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's not a HIPAA issue, it's an issue with the state of EHR in the United States. It's absolutely abysmal. Try getting your own health records from your PCP. You'll probably be given a book of physical printouts and charged for every page over 10.

I buy that. I just tried to get my daughter's immunization records for school and had to dig up a fucking fax machine to submit the request. The same form signed the same way was not accepted electronically.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here we are in twenty fucking twenty, and I am still requesting faxed clinical from 70 year old biddy office managers who refuse to submit PDFs through our online portal.

And when you request a single two page report you end up with (literally) 75 faxes pages of random ass labs and suddenly you’re medicolegally responsible for reading a damn novel when all you wanted was the colonoscopy report!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I work with gentlemen that would fall into the obese category. He continually complains how no one is following the social distancing rules in the stores and arent taking his health seriously. He harasses any employee he sees at these stores doe not enforcing the rules.

Today I had enough of hearing and I told him no one is taking his health seriously because its obvious that he doesn't. I laid out that he eats fast food for breakfast and lunch, drinks 60oz of Mt dew at work, and takes a smoke break every hour.

Its laughable that he wants others to tip toe around him when he knows he's high risk and hasn't done anything to change his lifestyle. I told him he's being selfish by expecting everyone to change their daily lives so that he doesn't have to.
I dont think he cared for that because he took a half day off at lunch.

This is the way I feel about motorcycle riders who never stop lecturing people who drive cars about how they need to be more considerate of motorcycles. Motherfucker, you're the one who chose to drive a vehicle that you're 30 times more likely to die driving than a car. If you can't be bothered to consider your safety, why should I do it?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is the way I feel about motorcycle riders who never stop lecturing people who drive cars about how they need to be more considerate of motorcycles. Motherfucker, you're the one who chose to drive a vehicle that you're 30 times more likely to die driving than a car. If you can't be bothered to consider your safety, why should I do it?

I feel the same way. I actually also believe their selfish decision impacts more than just themselves. Let's be honest, no one is a perfect driver and even if you are close, accidents happen. If i accidentally hit your car and cause some moderate, but not severe damage its an annoyance, will cost me some money, but we all move on. If I do the same with someone on a bike likely both our lives will be changed forever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Read the thread. Look at the charts. The statistical odds of the virus being this fatal in NY vs. every other state in the union (including CA with 2x the population) is beyond imagining. Forget politics. Just look at the math.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey, don't ever let the trust get in the way of a good story....or agenda, or money, or greed, or power, or....

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Read the thread. Look at the charts. The statistical odds of the virus being this fatal in NY vs. every other state in the union (including CA with 2x the population) is beyond imagining. Forget politics. Just look at the math.

Random hypothesis: there are more people of specific and vulnerable ethnic decent, like Italians, in the more heavily impacted areas.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not to mention NY is the biggest international hub on the East coast. How long were we allowing unrestricted international flights from everywhere imaginable on the planet? Of course they are going to have one of the highest rates of infection early on.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I didn't post about rates of infection. The data was all about fatality rates. If 1000 people get Coronachan in South Dakota and 1000 people get it in NY, why are 10 people going to die in SD and 65 people going to die in NY. 6.5% fatality rate in NY doesn't make any sense. Its using Wuhan math.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because a disproportionately high amount of at-risk people were deliberately exposed to the virus in New York, inflating the fatality rate.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

I didn't post about rates of infection. The data was all about fatality rates. If 1000 people get Coronachan in South Dakota and 1000 people get it in NY, why are 10 people going to die in SD and 65 people going to die in NY. 6.5% fatality rate in NY doesn't make any sense. Its using Wuhan math.

Edit: Sorry, I misread the thread. Twitter is a shit medium for this kind of presentation. Anyway, it's really hard to know what to make of rate data without knowing exactly what was used for numerator and denominator. Anything that uses active case counts is going to be noisy as fuck due to changes in availability and application of testing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
The thread you linked only had total counts and not any rate calculations. As poster said, "*Label for above should be deaths not fatality." You probably read it when the labels were wrong.
Yeah. Well. I knew what I was thinking when I posted it.

Seriously though, my normalization post above stands. The fatality and confirmed cases I took from the Github for NY and SD. The fatality numbers for NY are for shit. Even counting the thousands Cuomo killed with his nursing home order that he now no longer takes any responsibility for. 6.5% fatality rate is absurd.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

I'm speculating here, but of the 4250 cases in SD, 3195 of them were from the county with the Smithfield pork slaughtering plant. I think there's 2 contributing factors there.

1) there's no 80 year olds at the packing plant. It's a hard physical job and the people doing it tend to be in pretty good shape
2) they tested everyone in the plant so all the asymptomatic people were caught

A very large percentage of the meat plant workers who have been tested positive were asymptomatic. In some cases like 90%. It stands to reason that the actual cases in NY are much, much higher than the positive tests at this point because they have been so busy dealing with sick people they haven't tested people without symptoms.

EDIT: My numbers were out of date.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I'm speculating here, but of the 4250 cases in SD, 3195 of them were from the county with the Smithfield pork slaughtering plant. I think there's 2 contributing factors there.

1) there's no 80 year olds at the packing plant. It's a hard physical job and the people doing it tend to be in pretty good shape
2) they tested everyone in the plant so all the asymptomatic people were caught

A very large percentage of the meat plant workers who have been tested positive were asymptomatic. In some cases like 90%. It stands to reason that the actual cases in NY are much, much higher than the positive tests at this point because they have been so busy dealing with sick people they haven't tested people without symptoms.

EDIT: My numbers were out of date.
I know nothing about SD, I just picked it as it was near the other end of the spectrum. I agree that testing determines cases which determines the denominator. I stand by my position that NY numbers are shit either through malfeasance or incompetence. Most likely a combination of both.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Update on my personal shit show with all this Covid mess. High risk girlfriend, so we're basically still on indefinite isolation. Her doctors say don't go back to work unless they can provide accommodations, and work has been cool about it but nothing they can do to further reduce my risk, which wasn't much to begin with.

The county and government office I work for went from one week saying it was so risky we had to have limited emergency hours to reduce staff and public exposure, and would follow the Gov stay home order, follow the limited schedule set by court, etc.... but then I guess just got sick of it, so one day just decided back to 'normal'. Which I support, but that doesn't address the issues for people who don't get to go back to 'normal' just because your boss is sick of people getting paid to stay home.

Talk to a nonprofit unemployment attorney says inform work it's not safe to return, and then don't, but doesn't say what to do next. Union rep and attorneys talk to boss and HR and nothing can be done, they aren't doing furloughs and even short term leave without pay could "lead to issues" with my employment. Everyone agrees without any issue or bitterness that it's just not feasible to keep me on, but nobody knows how to proceed. There is apparently no way for a mutual termination, even in the middle of emergency orders and pandemics and shit.

So, got left deciding if I should follow the nonprofit attorney's advice and just not return and make the county terminate me for job abandonment, or follow what the union and my bosses agreed would be better and just quit, which quitting always gets unemployment's panties in a bunch even in a situation like this. But all the emergency money and emergency orders and emergency rules and changes to unemployment and everything and nobody thought to guide even government employers on how to handle these situations. They just sit there and shrug and say I can quit anytime I want.

So, I quit and just have to hope it doesn't screw up unemployment. They're of course back logged to hell. Have never been able to get through on the phone enough to even be put on hold, it just says they're experiencing high volume and hangs up. Just have to apply and fingers cross hope the government will sort things out.

I know my application is at least being reviewed, because first they need more information because I marked that I quit, and then ask a bunch of the same questions I already answered. Then they say they can't verify my identity and I have to fax a copy of my drivers license and social security card (thankfully I realized if you keep clicking past their message to fax them it eventually lets you upload copies directly). That's all I've heard from them in two weeks. And maybe someone committed fraud in my name such that now they can't verify my identity? So a little stressed.

The thing that pisses me off is sure, I got the short end of the stick on this and had to make a tough decision for myself and my own family, but why did we have to treat the entire country like they were high risk? My girlfriend and I are having to distance and wear masks and isolate because of Covid (and honestly would have to anyhow eventually leading up to transplant because even having a cold means you could miss your window), but it makes no sense that it was the 'norm' for everyone.

Of course it becomes a social fad to become Covid Karen mask police about other people not wearing masks, so then I occasionally get looks like I'm some pussy for wearing a mask when my specific situation dedicates it. I have to, and it sucks, but I don't give a shit if others do. I would prefer they do if they're sick or concerned, but when you have an actual relevant situation like we do you're too busy worrying about what you can control to police other people.

And people I talk to now think I must be a super supportive of Democrat overreach suddenly, and I have to explain to them that just because the one-size-fits-all government solution happens to be applicable to my personal situation and I benefit from it doesn't mean it's good policy or applicable to the other 99% of the population being forced into it. I mean, I'm thankful there are resources in place to help people in my situation, but counterpoint, those resources are being drained because the government decided to break the economy, which doesn't help any of us.

Let me tell you this isn't the time to have a nuanced opinion of anything, as people rush to their political corners to argue the most extreme points possible. Like the dumb arguments over masks or not, as if it's there is one solution that applies to everyone. Meanwhile, the people actually dealing with the risks of this are told to shut up by governments and pundits and activists alike so they can keep fighting these dumb political battles.

It's all very dumb and I'm getting sick of being stuck in the middle of pissing contests. And even I'm getting a bit antsy, and I'm pretty introverted and asocial, but we basically haven't done anything social outside of the house in 3 months since we got to start early before emergency orders and stuff. My family isn't local, and it was more fun complaining when I had to go visit with the inlaws instead of not being allowed to. Thankfully my relationship is pretty good and we actually like each other, so aren't at each others throats or bored with each other yet. And my dog is loving me being around and taking him for walks most days, and he's what matters most in his world, so there's that.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's easier to get unemployment after being fired for cause than it is if you quit? I thought you were pretty much out of luck with unemployment either way?

Captain Suave

Update on my personal shit show with all this Covid mess.

That's a sucky situation. My cousin in Brazil is in a similar bind. She works as a chef in a high-traffic international hotel and lives with her mid-60's parents and 90 year old immuno-compromised grandmother (multigenerational houseolds are common there). They can't afford the loss in income and unemployment there is laughable, so she has moved in with a friend for the forseeable future. She has a 10 year old daughter who she hasn't seen in person for a month or two, which is hard.

• 1Solidarity