Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The main thread is getting to be active and argumentative to a point that important info is being buried under the usual shit. This thread will serve as a place for updates and important info that people want to post, without it getting lost in the chaos. Mods might copy posts from the main thread into here from time to time if it seems to get buried.

Discussion here will be heavily moderated, and that means:

No memes
No endless arguments over pedantic bullshit
No trolly bullshit

Posts along those lines will just be moved to the main thread.

-

Some updated useful links to keep up-to-date

-
COVID19 - Maps|Dashboard: (Thanks Lanx)

-

A post has been created by Oldbased with perks that are being given by companies as a result of the crisis. Visit the post itself for updates:

Will be updating this post with benefits as they roll in and I suspect several over time here.
Starting with:
T-mobile and Metro cell services will have unlimited free data until May 12th. This is to help with online classes/school issues for people without or poor internet.
  • Starting now - ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
  • Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon.
  • Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months.
  • Increasing the data allowance for free to schools and students using our EmpowerED digital learning programs to ensure each participant has access to at least 20GB of data per month for the next 60 days.
Additionally, we are now:
  • Offering free international calling for ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers to Level 3 impacted countries.
  • Supporting the FCC’s Keep Americans Connected Pledge focused on ensuring residential and small business customers with financial impacts do not lose service.
Also USPS service mailer 3/14
View attachment 254192

Comcast-Comcast has increased the speeds of its Internet Essentials plan aimed at low-income earners as of March 16, Dana Strong, president of Comcast Cable consumer services, said in a blog post Thursday. This involves offering 60 days of free service, after which people will be charged $9.95 per month, and increasing speeds on this plan from 15/2Mbps to 25/3Mbps.

ATT-
AT&T is waiving fees for going over data caps, adding that many of its internet customers already have unlimited data.

"Additionally, through Access from AT&T we'll continue to offer internet data to qualifying limited income households for $10 a month," an AT&T spokesperson added in an emailed statement Thursday, March 12.

On Friday, AT&T added all home internet users have access to unlimited data; it will offer Cisco Webex Meetings video conferencing for free for the next 90 days for businesses, universities and schools; customers will be credited for the costs of calling CDC Level-3 countries; its World Connect Advantage plan will be 50% off; and it is supporting the State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA), which is developing "communication tools for parents, teachers and school boards to help them handle school closures and the increase in virtual learning."

Verizon-
On Friday, Verizon said it will waive late fees for the next 60 days, and keep homes and small businesses connected while they're "negatively impacted by global crisis."

"We want to ensure that our customers can continue to use the internet to work, learn, and carry on with their lives as we all address this collective challenge," Hans Vestberg, Verizon CEO, said as part of a new FCC pledge by carriers March 13 that involves not terminating residential or small business services due to their inability to pay bills during the coronavirus pandemic; waiving late fees; and opening their Wi-Fi hotspots to all Americans for the next 60 days.

Sprint-
Sprint announced Friday that it'll offer unlimited data for 60 days starting next week. The arrangement will kick in by March 19, and Sprint will also provide customers with an extra 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for the same time period.

The carrier is also waiving late fees from Friday, and won't terminate services if customers are unable to pay their bill due to the impacts of the coronavirus. By Tuesday, it'll introduce free international calling for CDC Level 3 nations for customers with long-distance calling plans.

Customers who don't pay for mobile hotspot services will get 20GB per month for the next 60 days "soon," Sprint added.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 13Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 13 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you don't feel well stay the hell out of public places.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
First county in Switzerland closed their school.
This will probably be the biggest economic burden for small enterprise as the parents will have to stay at home

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Research is showing LY6E function can prevent coronaviruses from infecting. And if I understood what I was googling about LY6E, nicotine basically causes impairment.

This could explain the corresponding higher fatality rates for the males in China due to higher prevalence of smoking, and the absence of fatalities and symptoms in children.

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It looks like the number of new cases dropped yesterday here in Norway. If so, shutting everything down does seem to help.

Hopefully the trend continues.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pops

New Coronavirus Test 10 Times Faster Is FDA Approved

Finally some fast track action.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The main thread is getting to be active and argumentative to a point that important info is being buried under the usual shit. This thread will serve as a place for updates and important info that people want to post and discuss, without it getting lost in the chaos. Mods might copy posts from the main thread into here from time to time if it seems to get buried.

Discussion here will be heavily moderated, and that means:

No memes
No endless arguments over pedantic bullshit
No trolly bullshit

Posts along those lines will just be moved to the main thread.

Maybe put this thread in the grown up forum?

• 3Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Maybe put this thread in the grown up forum?
The purpose of the thread is to provide important accessible info. Burying it in the grown-up section detracts from that, so it's here. It can always be moved later if people are too autistic to be unable to handle having two similar threads in one section.

• 4Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The purpose of the thread is to provide important accessible info. Burying it in the grown-up section detracts from that, so it's here. It can always be moved later if people are too autistic to be unable to handle having two similar threads in one section.

I wouldn't call it burying the thread, but that's a fair point.

• 3Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If anyone is keeping an eye on official numbers of cases and their locations and wants to have them presented and updated at the start of the this thread and the sister thread, and would be willing to keep up on it: PM me please so we can get something setup.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The test itself that has been developed in the U.S. is like something out of a victorian novel. Its incredibly labor intensive as a very precise but arcane series of chemicals are applied to the sample and nearly all the work is done by hand. A good technician can, apparently, only process about 60 tests a day.

Why did the CDC develop such a laborious test when already proven PCR tests, also searching for the N and E genes, were already being successfully used in other countries on a much larger scale? Mayo clinic announced yesterday that their highly mechanized testing lab had developed their own PCR test, but their capacity is still only a few hundred tests a day scaling up to maybe 500 / day in a few weeks.

*edit* Apparently the CDC test can tell the difference between COVID-19 and SARS or MERS and the others lump all of them together and can't distinguish which of the three you have. It seems to be precision at the cost of efficacy.

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
if you're gonna make a "INFORMATION" post, then it has to be constantly updated on the first post with collated good information (b/c the point is to only read the first post and not comb through an entire thread)

i offer
---
COVID19 - Maps|Dashboard:
---
just copy and paste

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
if you're gonna make a "INFORMATION" post, then it has to be constantly updated on the first post with collated good information (b/c the point is to only read the first post and not comb through an entire thread)

i offer

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS (John hopkins)
Experience (WHO)
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (web scrapper)
auspice (timeline) (spread)

Yeah, I agree. We're looking for someone that has the time and desire to do something like this.

• 1Worf

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
This link seems to autoupdate the number of cases in the title. It went up by 1 just in the minute I refreshed before posting. And in landscape on my phone it shows the deaths.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I agree. We're looking for someone that has the time and desire to do something like this.
Does the forum support any form of web embed for things? To do a mobile format webpage like we currently embed twitter and other social media links?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This link seems to autoupdate the number of cases in the title. It went up by 1 just in the minute I refreshed before posting. And in landscape on my phone it shows the deaths.

Thanks, I added it to the first post.

• 1Like