Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I went grocery shopping for the first time in about 10 or so days on Tuesday and the shelves were pretty bare all over the store. Not much of anything except for beef. Still plenty of beef, probably because it's so expensive compared to chicken and pork. Still not a single roll of TP to be found anywhere. Guessing suppliers are dealing with sickness and fear with employees.
They've already figured out why there's no toilet paper.

None of the commercial toilet paper is being used. All the schools, offices, etc are all closed. No one is pooping at work or school.

The supply chain of retail toilet paper is not elastic enough to meet the demand.

So there really is a toilet paper shortage for retail toilet paper, because people are pooping at home more.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Couple more personal anecdotes.

Found out I can get an antibody test at my neighbors office, going to do that some time next week. Wonder how long results take.

My wife’s former boss died of covid today. He had a stroke like 6-7 years ago and has been in a nursing home ever since. Think he was around 60 years old. He had quite the sad ending to his life, he was a pretty unique guy before the stroke.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They've already figured out why there's no toilet paper.

None of the commercial toilet paper is being used. All the schools, offices, etc are all closed. No one is pooping at work or school.

The supply chain of retail toilet paper is not elastic enough to meet the demand.

So there really is a toilet paper shortage for retail toilet paper, because people are pooping at home more.
My brother works at WB Mason in Boston and scored us that.commercial toilet paper. It's expensive as fuck but I don't think I'll live long enough to use it.all

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My brother works at WB Mason in Boston and scored us that.commercial toilet paper. It's expensive as fuck but I don't think I'll live long enough to use it.all
Most commercial toilet paper is about as comfortable as wiping your ass with newsprint.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
No good deed goes unpunished. To be fair though they should have access to similar stimulus funding. Should being the opportune word. My uncle who owns a general contracting business and my father who owns a clean energy company (both on Long Island) did not get their applications in before the "first come first serve" money was gone during the first round. I guess the town of Brookhaven is doing something separately that my father was able to leverage but his business is going to completely fail during this if he can't get access to the stimulus funds.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Hello adult children,

We deployed 20-30 EMTs and Paramedics to New York 2 weeks ago. The first of them came back to our base in St. Louis to demobilize and go home today. I was the Supervisor on duty so I got a chance to hear their raw verbal (non-official) reports of what it was like.

The general report is grim.

One story was from a set of two EMTs who worked as partners in New York for the last 2 weeks. They reported that New York City is an absolute shit hole and they can not believe how good they ever had it in St. Louis. This was not surprising to me personally and probably had nothing to do with COVID. I also served in New York City during 'Super Storm Sandy' and found NY to be an approximation of hell.

This same crew also reported (again none of this is official, only anecdotal) that the general leadership within FEMA is nothing but bullies and whipcrackers. The one EMT told me that he had worked 13 days in a row, 12 hours a day, running constant 911 calls back-to-back-to-back and he started to feel weak so he told his local FEMA supervisor and they set him up with a Nurse who told him that he was dehydrated. The nurse gave him an IV and gave him a 2 liter bolus of saline and told him to eat a good fat meal or two take a 48 hour break.

When he reported this to his FEMA supervisor, that supervisor told him that he thought that our guys were 'milking the clock' and would in fact be re-deployed for a full 12 hour shift the following day. Our guy told him that he would settle for 24 hour break instead of the 48 recommended by the Nurse and this offer was rejected. Our guy then said that if he cannot get at least 1 day off, then he would prefer to just be sent home. FEMA obliged and sent him home yesterday and he arrived at our base just today after his flight.

In general, this crew had nothing positive to report at all. They said New York City is still running it's rental bikes and scooters, still has its buses and subways at full capacity, and that the general concept of 'social distance' is not a real thing. They hated the way FEMA is handling this and they hated the entire city of New York. They said they couldn't wait to get back home.

--------

Another crew member came home a bit later in the day. His story (so he says) is that the City was getting 7000 911 calls a day and that they were consistently backed up by at least 1000 calls at any given time (average over the course of 15 days). I know enough to know that these numbers are probably over-inflated, but I also know enough to know that he probably isn't trying to lie to me.

He said he was running almost back-to-back cardiac arrest calls. And this is as a BLS unit. He said he ran maybe 20 of them in 15 days interspersed with 'regular' calls. His description was that they would show up, apply the AED, pump on the patient's chest for 20 minutes, and then call it. Then they'd go on to the next one.

Bandwagon Bandwagon One phenomenon he described was people who were fully alert and able to ambulate, but would have a respiratory rate of 40-50 and a blood oxygen saturation of no more than %70. They would complain of weakness and then 'drop dead' right there. I know for a fact that this EMT is exaggerating, but at the same time, he is one of our better ones. I also know for a fact that there must be at least some kernel of truth to what he is telling me.

-----

Another EMT called me from New York today and told me that his 'Stair Chair' was stolen from his ambulance. He said that FDNY paramedics are not equipped with Stair Chairs and they see them as a 'hot commodity'. He said that it seems that it was stolen from his ambulance while he was parked at an ER. He said that he didn't want to throw stones, but that if he had to guess, a local FDNY Medic probably took it.

This is consistent with my experience with FDNY back in 2011. When I saw and was able to inspect my first FDNY Ambulance in 2011 during 'SuperStorn Sandy' on Rockaway Island... I was blown away by how ancient and old and frankly bad their set-up was. They were at least 5 or 10 years behind what my private company in St. Louis was able to provide in terms of equipment. To hear, today, that they still do not have basic Stair Chairs does not come as a shock.

-------

I dunno. The folks coming back from New York so far as of today painted a relatively bleak picture. Maybe that will change as more of them come back.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dunno. The folks coming back from New York so far as of today painted a relatively bleak picture. Maybe that will change as more of them come back.

Sounds to me like your medics think NY is a pretty great place in comparison to what I think.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hello adult children,

We deployed 20-30 EMTs and Paramedics to New York 2 weeks ago. The first of them came back to our base in St. Louis to demobilize and go home today. I was the Supervisor on duty so I got a chance to hear their raw verbal (non-official) reports of what it was like.

One story was from a set of two EMTs who worked as partners in New York for the last 2 weeks. They reported that New York City is an absolute shit hole and they can not believe how good they ever had it in St. Louis. This was not surprising to me personally and probably had nothing to do with COVID. I also served in New York City during 'Super Storm Sandy' and found NY to be an approximation of hell.

This same crew also reported (again none of this is official, only anecdotal) that the general leadership within FEMA is nothing but bullies and whipcrackers. The one EMT told me that he had worked 13 days in a row, 12 hours a day, running constant 911 calls back-to-back-to-back and he started to feel weak so he told his local FEMA supervisor and they set him up with a Nurse who told him that he was dehydrated. The nurse gave him an IV and gave him a 2 liter bolus of saline and told him to eat a good fat meal or two take a 48 hour break.

When he reported this to his FEMA supervisor, that supervisor told him that he thought that our guys were 'milking the clock' and would in fact be re-deployed for a full 12 hour shift the following day. Our guy told him that he would settle for 24 hour break instead of the 48 recommended by the Nurse and this offer was rejected. Our guy then said that if he cannot get at least 1 day off, then he would prefer to just be sent home. FEMA obliged and sent him home yesterday and he arrived at our base just today after his flight.

In general, this crew had nothing positive to report at all. They said New York City is still running it's rental bikes and scooters, still has its buses and subways at full capacity, and that the general concept of 'social distance' is not a real thing. They hated the way FEMA is handling this and they hated the entire city of New York. They said they couldn't wait to get back home.

--------

Another crew member came home a bit later in the day. His story (so he says) is that the City was getting 7000 911 calls a day and that they were consistently backed up by at least 1000 calls at any given time (average over the course of 15 days). I know enough to know that these numbers are probably over-inflated, but I also know enough to know that he probably isn't trying to lie to me.

He said he was running almost back-to-back cardiac arrest calls. And this is as a BLS unit. He said he ran maybe 20 of them in 15 days interspersed with 'regular' calls. His description was that they would show up, apply the AED, pump on the patient's chest for 20 minutes, and then call it. Then they'd go on to the next one.

Bandwagon Bandwagon One phenomenon he described was people who were fully alert and able to ambulate, but would have a respiratory rate of 40-50 and a blood oxygen saturation of no more than %70. They would complain of weakness and then 'drop dead' right there. I know for a fact that this EMT is exaggerating, but at the same time, he is one of our better ones. I also know for a fact that there must be at least some kernel of truth to what he is telling me.

-----

Another EMT called me from New York today and told me that his 'Stair Chair' was stolen from his ambulance. He said that FDNY paramedics are not equipped with Stair Chairs and they see them as a 'hot commodity'. He said that it seems that it was stolen from his ambulance while he was parked at an ER. He said that he didn't want to throw stones, but that if he had to guess, a local FDNY Medic probably took it.

This is consistent with my experience with FDNY back in 2011. When I saw and was able to inspect my first FDNY Ambulance in 2011 during 'SuperStorn Sandy' on Rockaway Island... I was blown away by how ancient and old and frankly bad their set-up was. They were at least 5 or 10 years behind what my private company in St. Louis was able to provide in terms of equipment. To hear, today, that they still do not have basic Stair Chairs does not come as a shock.

-------

Well other than the walking hypoxic, that doesn't sound too bad. Cities confirmed garbage.

I was in NY for a week for a trade show about a decade ago and I don't think city people can even comprehend how foreign their way of life is to a lot of people in the US. It's like freshman dorm living, but worse.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Well other than the walking hypoxic, that doesn't sound too bad. Cities confirmed garbage.

I was in NY for a week for a trade show about a decade ago and I don't think city people can even comprehend how foreign their way of life is to a lot of people in the US. It's like freshman dorm living, but worse.
Surely this is the one thing we can all agree on.

I went to college outside the city and we went in every now and then. Always amazed me to think people live like that willingly.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No good deed goes unpunished. To be fair though they should have access to similar stimulus funding. Should being the opportune word. My uncle who owns a general contracting business and my father who owns a clean energy company (both on Long Island) did not get their applications in before the "first come first serve" money was gone during the first round. I guess the town of Brookhaven is doing something separately that my father was able to leverage but his business is going to completely fail during this if he can't get access to the stimulus funds.
If it helps, my business is also in Suffolk. While the wave of applications is massive, nearly zero of the 350b has been disbursed. Its a massive shitstorm on twitter hastag #PPPloans . We worked with our bank account rep constantly to get our apps in the day our bank opened their portal (Monday). My best advice is if they haven't already is reach out directly to their account reps at the bank. Even if they have stopped "accepting apps". Hopefully the account rep will assist them with getting their apps at least put in the queue. Our govt screwed the pooch on this by ignoring all of us who were telling them their wasn't enough loan processing in the entire country to handle the amount of apps they were going to be facing. As usual the govt "knew better" and ignored what we all warned about.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hello adult children,

--------

-----

-------

NYC is a shit hole. A liberal run, liberal dominant shit hole. I speak as a former resident. It is run by arrogant douchebags of the highest order.

As for the O2 note, I was reading online about the virus impacting negatively blood cells ability to carry oxygen. Ill try to find an article.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
As for the O2 note, I was reading online about the virus impacting negatively blood cells ability to carry oxygen. Ill try to find an article.

My sister is dealing with this right now in the hospital. It's her most worrisome symptom and what's keeping the doctors from sending her home to recover there.

I love NY. I would even like to live there for a couple years. And then move back to the west coast.

• 1Picard

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of our friend is an emergency medicine doc that did her residency in nyc. She said hospitals were overwhelmed in your regular flu season. She isn’t surprised they are fucked.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My sister is dealing with this right now in the hospital. It's her most worrisome symptom and what's keeping the doctors from sending her home to recover there.

I love NY. I would even like to live there for a couple years. And then move back to the west coast.
I live here now (Long Island). I have lived in Midtown. The only thing keeping me here are the public schools. On Long Island the public schools are phenomenal. The day my daughter graduates HS, my ass is gone. NYC is probably an amazing place to live if you are a liberal multi-millionaire. Correction, Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are probably amazing to live in if you are a liberal multi-millionaire. The rest is a giant shit hole. Cool to visit for a week to see the shows, museums, history etc. But to live? No.