Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The people working at home doing nothing are the same people who were at the office doing nothing. Its just easier to pretend you are doing work when you are in a glass tower and can wander around 'catching up' and 'touching base' etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've more or less adapted to working at home. I stuck it out until the state mandated otherwise. I was not trusting of my ability to get work done with my desktop right there.

Now I don't want to go back. Pajama pants and hoodies, relaxed shaving schedule, no commuting. Gotta be saving at least an hour a day on bullshit.

HR sent out an anonymous survey asking "yes, no, maybe" if you would be returning to work when the ban was lifted. They also added some stipulations:
  • Closure or restricted use of shared spaces (conference rooms, kitchen)
  • Physical distancing measures
  • Wearing face masks/coverings while in the office
  • Clean desk policy / daily workspace disinfection requirement
  • Frequent hand washing
  • Limiting number of employees in the building, reduced density
  • Daily sign in/sign out requirement for contact tracking purposes
  • Health status self-monitoring (fever free, not exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, etc)
I don't know if this is HR's requirements or the state's but fuck that. My son has been hospitalizing twice for respiratory issues and honestly, it was quite stupid of me to not work from home as soon as possible. I won't be returning to work until testing capacity makes it easy to track this disease. Vaccine would be nice too.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
At the very least it's going to be used to justify extended shutdowns. We both work for the federal government and technically in Illinois, my wife is part of the committee that will transition the base back to work. The plan is to lag behind the state by about 2 weeks but at this point they wont be back to work until 2022.. I'm essential and actually enjoy how little traffic is here now. 😀
Is there anyone who actually wants extended shutdowns if they aren't actually necessary? I hate people as a rule anywa, but I don't think people are staying up nights hoping we have more food shortages and higher unemployment numbers for no real reason.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've more or less adapted to working at home. I stuck it out until the state mandated otherwise. I was not trusting of my ability to get work done with my desktop right there.

Now I don't want to go back. Pajama pants and hoodies, relaxed shaving schedule, no commuting. Gotta be saving at least an hour a day on bullshit.

HR sent out an anonymous survey asking "yes, no, maybe" if you would be returning to work when the ban was lifted. They also added some stipulations:
  • Closure or restricted use of shared spaces (conference rooms, kitchen)
  • Physical distancing measures
  • Wearing face masks/coverings while in the office
  • Clean desk policy / daily workspace disinfection requirement
  • Frequent hand washing
  • Limiting number of employees in the building, reduced density
  • Daily sign in/sign out requirement for contact tracking purposes
  • Health status self-monitoring (fever free, not exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, etc)
I don't know if this is HR's requirements or the state's but fuck that. My son has been hospitalizing twice for respiratory issues and honestly, it was quite stupid of me to not work from home as soon as possible. I won't be returning to work until testing capacity makes it easy to track this disease. Vaccine would be nice too.
Any time in the past I've done one-off work from home days I always felt a little useless. But with t his shutdown they let us take office equipment home and I have a big disk so I got it all setup like work. And now it's just the new normal like you said. I still dress fairly normal and shower every morning, the only change really is I'm not driving 2 hours a day and I don't have the autistic kid at work constantly coming into my office (he IM's me instead).

I'd be ok with never going back.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WFH is here to stay. I have friends in finance in London and despite the call back to work by the Prime Minister, both of their firms have stated that employees are welcome to WFH for the rest of the year. I know from a business perspective, the cost of a desk at a firm like Goldman's, JPM, MS, etc are in the £150-200K range. That is a massive savings if you shift your workforce to home and can maintain / increase productivity. No one likes commuting into London. That's for sure.

The hit on the commercial property market and commercial rents will be staggering for the foreseeable future. "New normal" indeed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I got pulled into some remote work task force thing. Leadership was surprised when I said that long term, I see no more than 30% of people who are able to work remotely volunteering to go back to the office full time. I think the commute is the big thing. If you live in an area that has high traffic, get just got hours back to your day, every day. Given the option, I think even now a lot of companies underestimate how many people won't choose to sacrifice those hours again for no real gain.

But a lot of people won't have that chance. Was talking to a manager who was complaining that they weren't able to micromanage employees efficiently enough remotely and the numbers were down due to them not being able to physically look over employee shoulders and ensure they are on task. People like that will fuck things up for everyone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
When we get to the point that everyone has to just request their own medication, then we are truly fucked.

with the fairly recent (past decade) change of letting patients review doctors and hospital bureaucracy having those reviews actually count for their career / pay, we are pretty much there - doctor reviews along with corrupt as fuck big pharma paying doctors off and lieing about addictiveness is how we have an opioid epidemic, but the patient /doctor review issue doesn't just apply to pain killers

edit: i read your post as "can request their own medication" vs "has to" - still relevant though I think

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Patient review is the most retarded idea ever. It isn't fucking customer service Karen. Now instead of making the best decision for people's health they have to weigh that against getting their bonus or pay increases, or in some cases, I have seen at places my wife has worked, actually getting reprimanded for bad reviews. I didn't get all the narco I can eat is not the same as you forgot to refill my coke.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
CA counties are re-opening, some of them are only semi-rural too

apparently 27 other counties are in talks with the governor to do the same modified phase 2

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Patient review is the most retarded idea ever. It isn't fucking customer service Karen. Now instead of making the best decision for people's health they have to weigh that against getting their bonus or pay increases, or in some cases, I have seen at places my wife has worked, actually getting reprimanded for bad reviews. I didn't get all the narco I can eat is not the same as you forgot to refill my coke.

it's a large contributor to the opioid deaths of 100s of thousands of people, for sure

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I got pulled into some remote work task force thing. Leadership was surprised when I said that long term, I see no more than 30% of people who are able to work remotely volunteering to go back to the office full time. I think the commute is the big thing. If you live in an area that has high traffic, get just got hours back to your day, every day. Given the option, I think even now a lot of companies underestimate how many people won't choose to sacrifice those hours again for no real gain.

But a lot of people won't have that chance. Was talking to a manager who was complaining that they weren't able to micromanage employees efficiently enough remotely and the numbers were down due to them not being able to physically look over employee shoulders and ensure they are on task. People like that will fuck things up for everyone.
My boss is remote, literally halfway across the US and works from home full time. That's the one thing I got going for me

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm in an industry where States require us to work in the office. During the whole pandemic the States just didn't enforce the rules. Our owner gave us the option to come in on the 18th or June 1st. 4 people are coming back on 5/18. Everyone else wants to work from home until 6/1.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Been remote since 2004. I get more done in 8 hours then I got in 24 in office hours. The constant need to bullshit coffee break lunch and shit was beyond fucking annoying. Nevermind commuting.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I could never get away with doing nothing. The tech enterprise sales life. Never-ending. Unless you work with a company that's going down the shitter. Then sales is really easy because you're not selling shit. You're just in a depressing environment.

Really?

Can't bring out the "I probably could have closed but feel a far larger opportunity is a bit of negotiating away?"

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm in an industry where States require us to work in the office. During the whole pandemic the States just didn't enforce the rules. Our owner gave us the option to come in on the 18th or June 1st. 4 people are coming back on 5/18. Everyone else wants to work from home until 6/1.

$5 says those 4 workers have been dealing with their Karen wives and just want out of the house!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
$5 says those 4 workers have been dealing with their Karen wives and just want out of the house!
I know one lives with his 20 year old son and two grandchildren, so for sure he wants out. The others are married as well.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can probably do about 75% of my job from home. There has been a massive shift towards WFH in all the departments where I work (NHS hospital), but obviously there are also an awful lot of staff whose jobs are hands on.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really?

Can't bring out the "I probably could have closed but feel a far larger opportunity is a bit of negotiating away?"

That wouldn't fly. Obviously not happening in the current environment, but we're planning on going public really soon. We have monthly commits now. It's annoying.