Counterpart

spronk

FPS noob
First episode up for free for everyone on Youtube

Enjoyed the second one, extremely slow moving but very methodical and character driven, really great acting all around.

"There will be a reckoning for what the other side did to us." Man, that tranny in the Crying Game fucked that dude up and now he wants revenge on our entire universe

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, the second episode was a little slow.

But all in all, I am interested.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This may get kind of whatever if Other Howard is just a bumbling fool the entire time.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I've really liked both episodes so far - it's a very different feel and style of show, which I appreciate, and some great performances. Plus, tits, which there are never enough of on TV lately.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This may get kind of whatever if Other Howard is just a bumbling fool the entire time.

Yeah, I'm hoping he starts to smarten up. He did get himself a promotion at work and punch out the guy at the end. I kept waiting for him to analyze some part of what they were finding and think of something the rest of them hadn't seen yet. Never happened, but maybe it will down the road.

Agreed 2nd episode was a little slow, but I like how they set up ways to compare between people and their other. Definitely a little nebulous who the big players on each side are yet aside from Other Howard. Although certainly seems that Other Howard's side is pissed off at the normal side (the first side we were introduced to) for reasons not quite known.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I'm hoping he starts to smarten up. He did get himself a promotion at work and punch out the guy at the end. I kept waiting for him to analyze some part of what they were finding and think of something the rest of them hadn't seen yet. Never happened, but maybe it will down the road.

Agreed 2nd episode was a little slow, but I like how they set up ways to compare between people and their other. Definitely a little nebulous who the big players on each side are yet aside from Other Howard. Although certainly seems that Other Howard's side is pissed off at the normal side (the first side we were introduced to) for reasons not quite known.

It would seems both world diverge from a single point, but an "average" has to remain, i.e. as things get better on one side, it has to become worse on the other side, and for some reason everything seems to be going wrong on one side and it gets worse and worse. Well that's what I thought looking at this episode

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Wonder what's with the 80s-era computers and monochrome monitors? The show is obviously present-day judging by the cars and cellphones.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Maybe it has to do with making it feel to the people on the other side like the people on this side have crap technology? To what end, not sure yet.

That we aren't a threat to them?
That we aren't worth bothering to come over to this side?

Goatface

all the tech inside both buildings looks like it is from the 80's
the computers, phones, typewriters, etc

my theory, the offices are located between worlds and new tech doesn't work there

the other side has a clear mobile phone, which i don't know if better
other than being clear, looked like it could be from 2000's

they have brought up cancer on the other side a couple of times now
cigarettes are banned
and that the church is used more for viewing ghosts than worship

could be result of something that was done to them

the other sides city it much more built up
other than just all the "twisted" skyscrapers, looks like there are more solar panels
while the main side has dish/satellite antennas

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I mentioned it earlier but it feels very Archer-ish in that the time period is kinda 80s but it sometimes has modern tech too. Its gotta be an important plot point down the road since its way harder to make all the monitors CRTs than just using modern LCDs

The whole code writing stuff is weird too, I just can't fathom what that is about and we've seen two groups now doing some weird shit with words

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Watched the first 2 episodes last night and really enjoyed them.

They need to bring over the girl from Orphan Black. She'd make a good sidekick to J.K Simmons. =)

ShakyJake

<Donor>
all the tech inside both buildings looks like it is from the 80's
the computers, phones, typewriters, etc

my theory, the offices are located between worlds and new tech doesn't work there

Well, after this past episode I think it's pretty obvious that they are intentionally keeping the tech in that building locked to the era of when the event happened. I assume the standard-operating-procedure is any visitors from the other side are not allowed to leave that area. That way they can't judge the technological differences between the two worlds which both sides want to keep secret. Obviously, the cat's out of the bag since they clearly have spies who are freely moving around.

What I found odd, though, is that we apparently got the genome sequencing tech/info from them but yet the other side apparently isn't as advanced when it comes to mobile technology? That seems rather backwards since the whole genome thing, I thought, would've involved some heavy computing power...? Unless LCD tech has alluded them.

Anyway, fascinating series.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, after this past episode I think it's pretty obvious that they are intentionally keeping the tech in that building locked to the era of when the event happened. I assume the standard-operating-procedure is any visitors from the other side are not allowed to leave that area. That way they can't judge the technological differences between the two worlds which both sides want to keep secret. Obviously, the cat's out of the bag since they clearly have spies who are freely moving around.

What I found odd, though, is that we apparently got the genome sequencing tech/info from them but yet the other side apparently isn't as advanced when it comes to mobile technology? That seems rather backwards since the whole genome thing, I thought, would've involved some heavy computing power...? Unless LCD tech has alluded them.

I don't understand that part. Unless I am delusional that same guy answered a cell phone like moments afterward. Unless the smartphone is the hidden part not the mobile phone technology.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Yeah that seemed strange. Although when you think about it, if they had some sort of pandemic, good chance a lot of their scientific research went towards understanding how whatever disease that killed so many was attacking their cells/genes in an effort to solve it. Very interesting idea though, two separate worlds, two divergent paths of advancement. Would make Diplomacy talking about how the real value of keeping the door open was that very information they were getting. If the two sides went really far with it...they could each help each other out by specializing in different areas and sharing the knowledge. I doubt there is that much trust though, especially since I'd bet there is a 0% chance that at least some on the other side don't suspect the original world in causing whatever the pandemic was.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Honestly, why the secrecy? Other than via the tiny doorway, there's no way to reach this other world -- there's no way to go there by conventional means. So it's not like one side could invade the other and ravage their resources.