Cowboy Bebop

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Speak like a child is so damn funny. Jet and Spike going twice to get the right vcr.
Pierrot Le Fou is also great.

Don't know my top 3 in order but Ballad of Fallen Angels is by far, the best episode in any media.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Toys in the Attic is the episode that took me the longest to come around on, but its a genius midpoint of the series. The issue is all of the Vicious episodes that flush out the main story are so good its easy to forget a lot of the little hidden gems in the series.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

People who want more Cowboy Bebop might want to check older shows that use similar tropes (most notably this type of main character that is super cool and super competent one second and clumsy and goofy the next). With the sci-fi but without the team : Cobra. Without the sci-fi but with the team : Lupin the 3rd. Both are manga and anime series. I think Lupin had some recent reboots that I have not seen, but it also has an animed movie which is great (even if not very Lupin-esque as the team does next to nothing) and is an early Miyazaki movie : The Castle of Cagliostro. We are talking '70s, '80s stuff, so it's technically not on par with a Bebop, but it's not less imaginative.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Finished the anime and now I need MOAR. What should I watch next?

220px-Berserk_%281997_anime%29%2C_DVD_cover_1.jpg

90s Berserk is fucking amazing. The worst thing about it is the series ends at a part where you really really want it to continue

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
The Made in Abyss live action adaptation just proves that western execs have no idea what they are trying to adapt:

A faithful adaption would result in an entertaining number of traumatized children, but I can't imagine any universe in which it would happen.

What would they even... oh - by the guy that did the netflix version of Death Note. Say no more.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would say no but after starwars, Predator, terminator, alien, etc, I think it won't hurt anymore.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
we havent even gotten season 2 of the anime yet wtf

I am so happy they knew how to end the series, and not fuck it up with a second season. Shows real art. I'm sure they could have gotten tons of money for a new season, but knew the story was over.

I am sure it will suck, but I will give it a shot. Almost everything that comes out these days is terrible woke sjw crap. Seeing as this has non-woke source material, maybe it won't be too bad.

It's similar to ghost in the shell stand alone complex season 1, which had an overarching plotline filled with smaller adventures. or trigun that was mostly adventures then about half-way through changed to focus on a main story arch.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Watched the first episode. Saw it was 50 minutes instead of the original 20. Fuuuuuuuuu…

Yeah it's more or less the first episode filled with fluff and they added Faye, Vicious and Julia to make it 50 minutes. The intro is a copy of the original intro except they have removed Ed for some reason even though theyve confirmed he is in. As expected, they took a winning formula and made it stupid. Not sure I'm gonna watch the rest

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I liked it. It’s bad, but kind of fun. The characters are so unlike the original that it’s almost like new people overlapping the original story, but somehow after I watched it a while and rolled with these versions I was ok with it. Maybe I’m just hungover

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m going into this mostly as if it was new, I saw the original 20 some years ago and I barely remember the characters, episodes or overall plot.

As such, I enjoyed it quite a bit to be honest. Interesting visuals, excellent music, cool setting and honestly fun episode overall. Definitely going to watch more.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'm only a couple episodes in but I find this enjoyable so far. I've never watched the anime so it's nice being able to not worry about previous lore. The setting is well done and the overall atmosphere to the show is pretty good.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
In a little ways in now.

I'm finding the pacing weird, the directing clumsy and the acting...not good. Yes I have the expectations of a fan but it isn't that. It just had the feeling of a high school play that was really well funded to me. The strength is the story, which is to be expected. Everything else seems 3rd rate.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So expectation where low but goddamn. I can't believe anyone is saying they enjoyed this. Watched the first episode trying to keep an open mind and I was tempted to turn this off before the opening credits hit. The acting is poor, the humor doesn't hit, it feels like they had the budget of an ScbooyDoo cartoon.

It isn't just that it's a netflix live action that's the issue. It's that is feels like a brand name knock off. The best way I can describe it is this.

This is what you go in expecting.

images

and instead you get some version of this.

4697ED5600000578-5108335-image-a-100_1511370861111.jpg

I have seen many a bad TV show in my time but this is campy, shitty, and wrong. The best way to watch this is grab a couple of buddies and bottle of vodka and a desire to piss on any childhood memories of the Anime.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is very off-putting as a fan of the original. As Guurn said it is close to looking like an amateur production, but not. The whole atmosphere is strange. Cho is not aloof, confident, and dark like Spike should be. Not really mad about too much. The English VA was just incredible for that character. The material just isn't near as good hear even if he wanted to more closely mimic that style. Pineda is aggressively offensive as Faye. This is a person that there is no way she put any research in to this character and came out with this interpretation. Just terrible.

Shakir is miles beyond anyone else in this and Jet is awesome. I'd watch a whole spin off detective show of just him. He's as close to Jet as he could get and still trying to do his own thing while not insulting the source material.

Vicious is some actual cosplay level high school shit.

Having said all that it isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. It is missing a lot of charm and character that the anime had. The world feels empty and like more should be going on in scenes. Some of them just feel barren.

Through Episode 5 and will finish it out but wish overall it had been better. Some small things would have gone a long way.

*edit: Okay, Episode 6 is just some garbage tier trash, dumpster fire.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Saw the first two episodes and am having fun with it. The faithfulness to the look of the anime makes it surreal at times, like cosplay characters running around a sci-fi set. The main 3 leads of Spike, Jet, and Faye are solid, and work well together imo. A lot of artistic license taken by the producers such as Vicous/Julia that I don't agree with, but that's what makes it interesting to watch.

I'm curious if this gets traction with a wider audience. It is its own bizarre thing.