Cowboy Bebop

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I honestly don't get the complaints about Ed? Do people just think it's cringey because it's live action instead of a cartoon? That's almost exactly what a live action Ed is going to be like. Did people not even watching the fuckin' anime?

I'm failing to see how that clip with Cho is played that far off from the above compilation.

Just quoting your original post Kir, apparently you forgot it. You were trying to defend this shit acting direction and the actress acting like an enormous, cringey retard on camera because "DERP dats how the anime did it!"

Here is my reply, also nothing about gender...Arguing about the acting direction.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. If you are just being a retard, then I have to ask why the director didn't force the actors to play out those really exaggerated, stupid anime faces that are frequent in this show. You know, the faces that get drawn that way to convey an emotion without the dozens of subtle muscles in a human face that are normally used to convey said emotion?

Oh, because that would have been retarded. Just like it would be retarded for a director to take 'goofy kid shit' in an anime, which is clearly exaggerated because its supposed to be in a stand in for all the more subtle mannerisms of RL and have that be translated DIRECTLY to live action. Human expression in the real world has a lot more avenues of communication, which is why things have to be exaggerated in anime.

Being a silly kid in RL is not the same as being one in anime. Fuck sake.

No gender...your reply, trying to defend the acting...again

I can't wait to hear how Ed was supposed to be "played straight" in a fucking live action adaptation of an anime character who was already exaggerated as shit..

Hmm, no gender. Anywhere.

My reply....shocker, no gender politics! Its all about the acting direction!

Can't wait to have the director insist Spike make this face in live action...After all, have to 1:1 translate, right?

View attachment 383959

DEERP.

Damn, so there was no gender politics...at all, in our responses. It was all about acting. Until all the sudden you think it was all about gender politics. (Which I can only surmise is a terrible attempt to troll because you felt a little sheepish at how dumb your original argument about defending the acting direction was)

Oof, you hate to see it indeed.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So change a character(Faye) and people get pissed, don't change a character(Ed) and people get pissed. :)

The irony in my opinion is changing Faye was not necessary, while changing Ed might have been necessary. So if they had done the opposite keep Faye as is, and change Ed both might have better received. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I think the real problem is they changed Faye in a way that fundamentally changed the character and worse than that, it was a terrible change. Ed was always a stupid little deus ex machina so toning it down wouldn't have mattered.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Rando cosplay dorks do it better than Netflix.. Cowboy Shitbop

72317-39651-d88d55f15f520e145465bf76a3e0ac40.jpg

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Hard to like. Bad script. The 'female interest' characters that were invented or adapted in service of the neccesary TV show padding are useless. Vicious is being played by Javier Bardem's overcompensating younger brother. The Ed reveal was stunningly bad. Shit was actually baffling. How does something like that get in the can without a single production honcho stopping the whole thing and saying 'literally nobody is going to like this bullshit, fucking fix it.'

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Hard to like. Bad script. The 'female interest' characters that were invented or adapted in service of the neccesary TV show padding are useless. Vicious is being played by Javier Bardem's overcompensating younger brother. The Ed reveal was stunningly bad. Shit was actually baffling. How does something like that get in the can without a single production honcho stopping the whole thing and saying 'literally nobody is going to like this bullshit, fucking fix it.'

Oh it's simple this is a story as old as Hollywood... They do not give a fuck about the source material, they do not give a single fuck, they would take a hot steaming shit in it's mouth. The only thing they want is the brand recognition. It will bring in eyeballs, because it's less risky than making something original. So they couldn't care less, they get a free build in audience and advertising off brand recognition alone, as such it's guaranteed to make at least X dollars. Which is an acceptable risk in a big nose super jews mind.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh it's simple this is a story as old as Hollywood... They do not give a fuck about the source material, they do not give a single fuck, they would take a hot steaming shit in it's mouth. The only thing they want is the brand recognition. It will bring in eyeballs, because it's less risky than making something original. So they couldn't care less, they get a free build in audience and advertising off brand recognition alone, as such it's guaranteed to make at least X dollars. Which is an acceptable risk in a big nose super jews mind.
the ppl just watched the DUBBED version of bepop

thats why all you ppl are fine w/ jet being a black guy (even tho his acting is atrocious)

what you saw for the 1min of cringe is what ed is like in the DUBBED version

sub original ed is not like that.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So change a character(Faye) and people get pissed, don't change a character(Ed) and people get pissed. :)

The irony in my opinion is changing Faye was not necessary, while changing Ed might have been necessary. So if they had done the opposite keep Faye as is, and change Ed both might have better received. :)

I mean, this just illustrates its the director who is awful here. Faye is a character that very little of needed to be changed, but she was altered dramatically...meanwhile one of the dumbest, most annoying characters in the anime is left to be a 1:1 translation. Its just really bad directing, it shows a complete lack of artistic vision in terms of getting a feel for how things would come off. (The whole sit-com feel of the dialogue is the same way. The noir, gritty, cynical dialogue of the show is replaced effectively by Seinfeld's absurdity. Really just so many choices feel nonsensical.)

That doesn't even go into the casting. Cho might have been a decent choice for spike...20 fucking years ago. Its all just bad.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀

Deathly cynicism has always been your brand, and I get the feel, but I also believe that at some point there was a whole platoon of people interested in making this a good homage that was 'respectful' of the source material. I know some people complained about the cheap look of the set pieces but there was a lot of fucking love put into the ship set that you can appreciate for those long, occasional tracking shots. The CGI is serviceable for what it is and was clearly put together with an eye towards cool as fuck grungy space visuals.

As per usual, the artists and craftsmen employed for the construct and framing of a show have absolutely no say in the final product and are completely removed from the process of giving the story its 'flesh'- script, story, the nuts and bolts. So what you end up with is a very schizophrenic experience where the good, momentary glimmers of nostalgia are constantly interspersed with scenes of unrecognizable characters standing around in canned sets reading shitty lines only meant to pad the run time. It absolutely sucks for the people involved to see all their hard work get remanded into the Shit pile when the producers/writers don't hold up their end and turn out a product so panderingly desperate to pull in certain demographics. I have to agree with Lithose right down the light with this shit. Gross.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive never watched the anime. But I enjoyed episode 1 and will probably like the show overall. But I can see the parts where it just doesnt translate well from an anime/cartoon aspect.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ive watched 7 or 8 episodes. I tried to get into it, I really did. But good lord this show is just painfully awful.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Ive watched 7 or 8 episodes. I tried to get into it, I really did. But good lord this show is just painfully awful.
Bro I stuck with it to the end to see if it recovered and honestly in episode 10 they just give the fans a big "fuck you" for even sticking around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bro I stuck with it to the end to see if it recovered and honestly in episode 10 they just give the fans a big "fuck you" for even sticking around.
most of us were like that old guy on the left going wtf
qjnEB0.gif

and left

you stayed around for log to dick
bang-ouch.gif

• 2Worf