Credit Score Question

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Submit a claim with Equifax. If you have prior evidence, even better. They'll review and correct it. They're legally obligated to have accurate reporting or you can sue the shit snickers off em if not you're not responded to within 30 days, and resolved within 60.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone else's credit score get majorly fucked this month? My credit score was over 800 last month... Equifax is reporting my average age of credit as 3 years this month. Accounts I've had opened for 15+ years are being reported as being open in December 2014. In fact all my accounts older than Dec 2014 are being reported as having been opened in Dec 2014.

My credit scored dropped all the way to a fucking 651 according to Equifax. Everything else is perfect. Credit Utilization is at 2%, on time payments are 100%, derogatory marks are 0, number of credit inquiries in the last year is 1, and total number of accounts is 31.

Parents/sisters' dived 20+ points in June, they did not have any major account changes. Mine declined about 20 over two months, although in my case, I did open a new account for the cash bonus. Maybe one or more of the bureaus changed their scoring model?

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

didnt think anything of my little 10pt bump down, figured it was adjusting because I paied off 90% of all our cc debt the month before and that usually actually lowers it a bit before it goes up as "utilization" takes a hit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Alright so I pulled the actual reports because of this to try to get to the bottom of it and it turns out it was because American Express reported one of my accounts as past due. Had to call AmEx this morning to get it straightened out.

Goddamn bros, 1 account being reported as 30 days past due when I have 17 years of spotless credit history will drop a score by 150 points? Jesus. Sorted out now and they say it will be reversed and taken off the reports within 48 hours.

Siliconemelons

Yes, if your in 800+ scores are adversely affected quite a bit and easily.

But glad they fixed it! Just be sure they do

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Apparently the change to credit scores went thru on the 1st. I got a 101 point gain on the 1st. I think they dropped medical debt that was being paid by insurance or whatever. I haven't lagged behind on any payments but it's taken quite a while for stuff to work thru the insurance payment. Back to 760which isn't bad considering I've been unemployed for almsot 4 years. It was 805 before I got sick cause I had just checked for a home loan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Creditwise said my score was 784 think they are drunk

IMG_20180831_1551591.jpg

Siliconemelons

Apparently the change to credit scores went thru on the 1st. I got a 101 point gain on the 1st. I think they dropped medical debt that was being paid by insurance or whatever. I haven't lagged behind on any payments but it's taken quite a while for stuff to work thru the insurance payment. Back to 760which isn't bad considering I've been unemployed for almsot 4 years. It was 805 before I got sick cause I had just checked for a home loan.

Just read this, maybe that's why my creditwise is so stupid high...

But I am also dropping a "red" 120+ late every month from my short sale - so with that and my reduction of all debt 4 months also, so I expect it to go up, slowly. My other card that reports, I think BOA card - I am 720

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So recently I got a limit bump from $1000 to $2000 on my one credit card so I could use it to buy some airfare for my fiance and I to CA, so about $1k in airfare. That balance just showed up on my credit report and I went down 50 points from it. Is that a normal amount for that kind of CC usage? This is my first credit card and I've only had one other purchase on it which I paid off a couple months ago (was $700 out of $1k credit limit). Checking credit karma, the changes reported for this were a bunch of decreases on my student loan balances, my upped credit limit on the card, the new balance on the card and the removal of an AmEx account belonging to my parents that I had a card for, but credit karma was showing that removal as a positive. My big worry is we're going to be moving apartments soon and that change just shoved me back under 700 on my score and I don't want to get hosed when trying to apply to the new place now.

Vinen

God is dead
So recently I got a limit bump from $1000 to $2000 on my one credit card so I could use it to buy some airfare for my fiance and I to CA, so about $1k in airfare. That balance just showed up on my credit report and I went down 50 points from it. Is that a normal amount for that kind of CC usage? This is my first credit card and I've only had one other purchase on it which I paid off a couple months ago (was $700 out of $1k credit limit). Checking credit karma, the changes reported for this were a bunch of decreases on my student loan balances, my upped credit limit on the card, the new balance on the card and the removal of an AmEx account belonging to my parents that I had a card for, but credit karma was showing that removal as a positive. My big worry is we're going to be moving apartments soon and that change just shoved me back under 700 on my score and I don't want to get hosed when trying to apply to the new place now.

Pay off the balance. This is likely not due to your credit increase but is instead due to utilizing > 50% of your current credit.
I had the same happen with my Chase card when I paid for a trip to China.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Get more credit cards! Jack up your total available balance and then don't use it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pay off the balance. This is likely not due to your credit increase but is instead due to utilizing > 50% of your current credit.
well, maybe if you're building credit, keep a 50$ balance

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

At the moment, I don't want to blow a whole chunk of cash to pay all of it off, just because I don't want to dip into savings right now just in case. If I pay it off over a couple of months, that should still bring my credit back up to it's old position, right? Also, generally when companies or what not run your credit report, do they see a history of your point score or just the current score when it's run?

Also, I have a PayPal credit account as well with a large limit, and while I see the inquiry that was run to get it, so far I haven't seen it, or the balance on it show up on my credit report and it's been open since July. Should that be showing up as well or is PayPal credit not considered a "real" account or something?

Last edited:

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Every month that your utilization is too high it will continue to drop.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
At the moment, I don't want to blow a whole chunk of cash to pay all of it off, just because I don't want to dip into savings right now just in case. If I pay it off over a couple of months, that should still bring my credit back up to it's old position, right? Also, generally when companies or what not run your credit report, do they see a history of your point score or just the current score when it's run?

Also, I have a PayPal credit account as well with a large limit, and while I see the inquiry that was run to get it, so far I haven't seen it, or the balance on it show up on my credit report and it's been open since July. Should that be showing up as well or is PayPal credit not considered a "real" account or something?

I believe most places penalize you when you start using more than 30% of your credit - So either pay down to the 30% or get more cards that will offer a free balance transfer and spread it around. If you don't expect to be getting any loans any time soon its not a big deal though, and when you pay it off your credit will slowly go back up.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
So I understand changes were made how scores are calculated but did they actually change the 850 ceiling or is something fucky is going on here?

Screenshot_20180928-103515.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I took a hit the other day when I purchased a new truck. I was 802, but the free credit score my card offers every month (from only 1 source) showed it down to 790. Not sure why the 12 point drop for purchasing a new vehicle. /shrug

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Big purchases always gives you an immediate credit hit, but it'll recover easily in a couple months. I think my house dropped me from 790 to 730 the day after.

Siliconemelons

WTF my almost 800 is now 750... there is some bullshit 171$ hit that is showing up now, got a hit in sep and oct... wtf...

down the road of disputes I go >_<

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So I moved to a new apartment a couple months ago. In the business of moving I forgot to pay my final electric bill at my old apartment.

Today I got a letter from a debt collector for the amount (45.57) of the bill. The debt collection agency wants me to send a check to them. I went on to my old electric company's website, and I see that I can pay for my final payment online like I used to do. Is it better to do the online payment or send a check to the debt collection agency? If I pay online, do I need to notify the debt collection agency that I paid it online?