Critical Roll Animated Special

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sevens

Log Wizard
I love these guys and I love this show...this has me pretty excited. Not even an hour and it smashed its budget goal.
Can't Wait. I put this in Table Top gaming because it is a DnD show, if its not in the right place feel free to move it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Jesus buttfucking christ. I just saw this pop up as well 45 day kickstarter $750k goal and it's almost at $3mil 45 minutes into the fucking thing.

By comparison look at the Pantheon thread kickstarter link for some lulz.

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They're going to hit 4mil probably in the next hour or two. The animated flick is now 88 minutes long, lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've never heard of this. What is it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
I've never heard of this. What is it?
Critical Role is a bunch of nerdy ass voice actors who play DnD....
Matt Mercer and crew are voice actors who use to play dnd in a home game, Felicia Day convinced them to live stream their game on the Geek and Sundry twitch channel and the thing has become a massive hit. They recently created their own company and have moved to their own Twitch stream and you tube channel where they now produce lots of different content
That is the first episode of Campaign 2...well worth a look see to see if its something you would enjoy

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Ugh didn't see this separate thread...

Anywho they are a bunch of voice actors who got together and played D&D for a birthday party years ago, discovered they had fun and kept at it and then started recording their sessions.

They now have their own production studio in LA and a ton of fans. Wizards of the Coast owes much of the current D&D resurgence to Critical Role.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
as of the posting of this ......5.2 million and I guess its going from a special to a series

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I stumbled across Critical Role pretty early on as I liked Felicia Day and would sometimes check our her Geek and Sundry stuff. It is kind of amazing still how popular and how much this little thing has grown. Hell go back and look at their first few episodes which was them sitting around a white table ordering food and joking around to where it is today. I wonder if Orion Acaba is kicking himself in the ass over being kind of a douche and getting himself kicked off.

Over 5 million in less than two days is pretty nuts, the jaded side of me never really likes famous people using crowd sourcing dollars since they have connections with studios and things, but these guys aren't that famous and they just seem like really cool genuine people who you can't help but support.

I haven't really watched any of their second campaign but seeing this news makes me want to for sure. I am curious how far this kick starter will go.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
I loved loved loved the first campaign to be honest, but I have actually found myself actually liking the second one better....Its low level DnD where shit is just crazy and silly and there arent "The fate of the world hangs in the balance" type scenarios going on

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I loved loved loved the first campaign to be honest, but I have actually found myself actually liking the second one better....Its low level DnD where shit is just crazy and silly and there arent "The fate of the world hangs in the balance" type scenarios going on

A few weeks ago I decided to get back in to D&D (haven't played in years) and I have thrown myself in to learning as much about 5E as I can. I've purchased literally every official 5E book that's been printed and spent several dozen hours listening to D&D YouTube channels on 2x speed to refresh my DM chops. My first come-back session is next weekend and I'm really excited.

Now, to your post. It's no surprise that I discovered Critical Role while consuming the type/amount of D&D content that I have been, but there were so many episodes that I just selected Campaign 2, episode 23 and started from there. I think I'm on episode 34 now. I really enjoy it, but I've found I like listening to it rather than watching it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Despite my enjoyment, I find myself more and more acutely aware of the total bullshit SJW rhetoric infesting the game. It didn't exist last I played. As much as I like Critical Role, I have played the game enough to know that their game is very A-typical of what D&D really looks like. Also, there is absolutely no question in my mind that aspects of it are scripted. There was one scene in particular that was so over-the-top obviously pre-planned, it really irritated me. However, those things I can look over because it's modeled to be entertainment and it is. What I can't stop doing is sneering at the pandering to the SJWs. Every time I hear Mercer reference a single character with "their eyes go wide," I want to vomit.

It's all just so fucking ridiculous. Even the core books are drenched in it. I got my PHB in the mail a few days ago and I remember opening it to look over the classes and thinking "Jesus fucking Christ, is every piece of art for the classes a female?" Ya, pretty much. One of the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE reasons I completely abandoned Magic was because of WOTCs complete shift to mental illness, yet here I am supporting the same illness with a different name.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if Orion Acaba is kicking himself in the ass over being kind of a douche and getting himself kicked off.

i love the FAQ question... "Will Tiberius be featured in the special?" "No."

• 1Like

j00t

A few weeks ago I decided to get back in to D&D (haven't played in years) and I have thrown myself in to learning as much about 5E as I can. I've purchased literally every official 5E book that's been printed and spent several dozen hours listening to D&D YouTube channels on 2x speed to refresh my DM chops. My first come-back session is next weekend and I'm really excited.

Now, to your post. It's no surprise that I discovered Critical Role while consuming the type/amount of D&D content that I have been, but there were so many episodes that I just selected Campaign 2, episode 23 and started from there. I think I'm on episode 34 now. I really enjoy it, but I've found I like listening to it rather than watching it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Despite my enjoyment, I find myself more and more acutely aware of the total bullshit SJW rhetoric infesting the game. It didn't exist last I played. As much as I like Critical Role, I have played the game enough to know that their game is very A-typical of what D&D really looks like. Also, there is absolutely no question in my mind that aspects of it are scripted. There was one scene in particular that was so over-the-top obviously pre-planned, it really irritated me. However, those things I can look over because it's modeled to be entertainment and it is. What I can't stop doing is sneering at the pandering to the SJWs. Every time I hear Mercer reference a single character with "their eyes go wide," I want to vomit.

It's all just so fucking ridiculous. Even the core books are drenched in it. I got my PHB in the mail a few days ago and I remember opening it to look over the classes and thinking "Jesus fucking Christ, is ALL the class artwork of females?" Ya, pretty much. One of the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE reasons I completely abandoned Magic was because of WOTCs complete shift to mental illness, yet here I am supporting the same illness with a different name.

DnD has ALWAYS been incredibly inclusive in that respect. in the 70's, when gygax said there's no difference between male and female stat-wise, it was insane. and not a single person raised an eyebrow because it wasn't about an agenda other than "we just want people to be able to share their imagination with other people"

i've watched all of crit role (except the last few weeks), what parts are you thinking are scripted?

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DnD has ALWAYS been incredibly inclusive in that respect. in the 70's, when gygax said there's no difference between male and female stat-wise, it was insane. and not a single person raised an eyebrow because it wasn't about an agenda other than "we just want people to be able to share their imagination with other people"

i've watched all of crit role (except the last few weeks), what parts are you thinking are scripted?

I can't remember what edition it was specifically, but I know for a fact one of the old hardback source books had two separate (male/female) tables for maximum physical stats.

As far as a the CR scripting, it was a few episodes ago maybe S2/30-32. I can't remember exactly, but Liam seemed to randomly ask Matt about some obscure lore and Matt conveniently had several paragraphs waiting to be read. Matt wasn't generating some lore on the fly or reciting it from his general interpretation of his world, you could see him reading it. It wasn't general knowledge, it was specific. Coincidence that Matt just happened to have what Liam was looking for and didn't miss a beat when Liam asked about it? Maaaaybe, but I'd wager the house against it. There have been a few other telltale signs, but nothing incredibly egregious. Generally speaking, the players are aware of specific plot beats they're supposed to hit to keep the story moving and interesting. There's just too much money involved now for them to risk losing viewers for there not to be. It's a fantasy soap opera now, and that's ok.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?

j00t

honestly i don't think any of it comes across as scripted. there've been a few times where matt reads off of his notes. GENERALLY speaking, yeah most dm's aren't going to be that prepared but matt is an extremely intelligent guy and he's EXTREMELY organized. he's also been playing in this world for like 20 years so it would make sense that he's written plenty of it down and has it organized well, especially since he already had to rewrite most of his stuff for his campaign guide.

but hey, if you think it's scripted (or semi-scripted) that's fine with me. we can disagree and still be entertained

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
I can't remember what edition it was specifically, but I know for a fact one of the old hardback source books had two separate (male/female) tables for physical maximum stats.

As far as a the CR scripting, it was a few episodes ago maybe S2/30-32. I can't remember exactly, but Liam seemed to randomly ask Matt about some obscure lore and Matt conveniently had several paragraphs waiting to be read. Matt wasn't generating some lore on the fly or reciting it from his general interpretation of his world, you could see him reading it. It wasn't general knowledge, it was specific. Coincidence that Matt just happened to have what Liam was looking for and didn't miss a beat when Liam asked about it? Maaaaybe, but I'd wager the house against it. There have been a few other telltale signs, but nothing incredibly egregious. Generally speaking, the players are aware of specific plot beats they're supposed to hit to keep the story moving and interesting. There's just too much money involved now for them to risk losing viewers for there not to be. It's a fantasy soap opera now, and that's ok.
Dude, they are ALL professional actors and improvers...there is no script. Yes they communicate about the game even outside the game, so maybe Liam had asked Matt about a certain something and Matt had all the Lore / information prepared and read it to the group at large instead of just answering Liam. The only story beats are the back stories the players give to the DM that he then takes and incorporates into the game narrative.
And here is a pretty good article concerning the stat differences in Old DnD
Save Versus All Wands: Gender Based Strength Maximums in Old School D&D

• 1Like

Sludig

So I miss my DND days, don't have anyone nearby to play with. (Strangely some other sheriff deputies I heard play so maybe an in there) But I would say while our DM did try all the description stuff, most of us were playing more "tactically" and fairly minimal in the trying to voice act and otherwise like roleplay audibly. All of us heavy consumers of all things nerd, but I think we all drew the line at trying to be voice acting dorks.

I tried watching that S2:1 episode..... I just can't do it. I realize I'm just a jaded asshole probably. But Can't stand bitches that suddenly hoot etc. I can't take seriously for whatever reason the guy and his gnome voice or whatever the fuck. Guess It's why I was much bigger into stuff like warhammer 40k. Get all the scenery/lore/tactics/dice rolling, without the acting a fool parts. (Was really excited to try playing D20 modern, and some other battletech/sci fi RPG's but our group was falling apart after high school so never got much of a chance at them.)

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I miss my DND days, don't have anyone nearby to play with. (Strangely some other sheriff deputies I heard play so maybe an in there) But I would say while our DM did try all the description stuff, most of us were playing more "tactically" and fairly minimal in the trying to voice act and otherwise like roleplay audibly. All of us heavy consumers of all things nerd, but I think we all drew the line at trying to be voice acting dorks.

I tried watching that S2:1 episode..... I just can't do it. I realize I'm just a jaded asshole probably. But Can't stand bitches that suddenly hoot etc. I can't take seriously for whatever reason the guy and his gnome voice or whatever the fuck. Guess It's why I was much bigger into stuff like warhammer 40k. Get all the scenery/lore/tactics/dice rolling, without the acting a fool parts. (Was really excited to try playing D20 modern, and some other battletech/sci fi RPG's but our group was falling apart after high school so never got much of a chance at them.)

Sam Riegel is who you're referring to. He plays a female goblin 'rogue.' Initially, I also had a hard time taking him seriously, but I've come to really like him. Don't get me wrong, there are some cringe moments (for all of them), but his character is interesting and endearing. I'm like you in that I have a general dislike for the 'silly' spin some people portray with their characters. However, Sam does it well. He's a bit of comic relief, but he also knows how to play the game mechanically and does so pretty well.

The voice acting I like the least is Laura's cutesy cleric. She's basically a female version of Tasslehoff Burrfoot. You either loved or hated Tass and I found him to be exhausting. Also, Marisha's butch, lesbian monk is incredibly boring for me. Despite that, they work well together and it's very entertaining.

Sludig, try just listening instead of watching. It makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’m also not a fan of Laura’s character in campaign 2, it’s just too over the top with being ridiculous for the sake of it and kind of takes the mood away in a lot of circumstances. I also really, really disliked The Beau character as well but after a certain episode Marisha kind of seemed to change her attitude with the character a bit and I kind of like her now. Sams character is goofy but he does pull the comic relief off much much better than Laura’s does.

As for it being scripted, I don’t think so. Matt released his notes for an episode once and that dude comes ridiculously prepared with lore and scenarios he thinks the party might come across. A lot of it I’m sure is improv too (like having to think up plots to smut books on the fly). It always blows my mind what a good DM can do. When I first started playing last year, I didn’t have a set table to play at so I hopped around a few different DMs and it was fun, but then I managed to get a spot at a table that just finished a campaign and had a spot freshly opened and the DM is goddamn amazing. Apparently a lot of what we’ve done is heavily deviated from the book we were running and it’s crazy the stuff that he just pulls out of his ass at a moment’s notice.

Sludig

Sam Riegel is who you're referring to. He plays a female goblin 'rogue.' Initially, I had a hard time taking him seriously as well, but I've come to really like him. Don't get me wrong, there are some cringe moments (for all of them), but his character is interesting and endearing. I'm like you in that I have a general dislike for the 'silly' spin some people portray with their characters. However, Sam does it well. He's a bit of comic relief, but he also knows how to play the game mechanically and does so pretty well.

The voice acting I like the least is Laura's cutesy cleric. She's basically a female version of Tasslehoff Burrfoot. You either loved or hated Tass and I found him to be exhausting. Also, Marisha's butch, lesbian monk is incredibly boring for me. Despite that, they work well together and it's very entertaining.

Sludig, try just listening instead of watching. It makes a huge difference.

I guess to refine some of it. I just dont like role playing dialogue so much. Like rather than full on RP, I'm happy with a DM saying Hey you are here, the x person wants you to do this or else that. You reply with course of action/general responce ala like the spin dials in PC rpg's, then just roll for effect if appropriate with appropriate skills. So fairly predictable and not just to the vagaries of the GM liking your drama class skills.

I guess you could say I'm basically the Sheldon of RPG's. I like it clinical.

Sevens

Log Wizard

If youre not into the RP aspect of it then yeah, CR might not be for you...as they are all VO actors. You might want to check out Matt Colvilles streaming campaign, hes more into the tactical from what I can gather (I havent watched his yet). I think (From what I have heard) that this is more akin to what a regular home game of DnD is...these guys are not actors but were just co workers who play together

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users