Crowfall

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm sure some of the PVE only (survival against zombies) servers will have fixed durations.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A big part of early access is thinking you can get a leg up by learning the world and finding out the best routes etc. This game appears to not need that sort of thing. So early access means nothing other than learning the ins and outs of the systems. If they can accomplish what they want to do, you'll see revolving games and worlds which will be awesome. So even though you're playing the same game it's often fun each time. Just like a game in a MOBA and there is less burn out there.
I am confident the people who play the paid alpha/beta in this game extensively will have a huge leg up on the rest of us. They'll rush and be the first to hit a level/gear soft-cap and then 90% of them will quit and go hype themselves on the next game.

Ex: I actually think you spent more time in character builders in AA than playing the game post release.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I beat AA in early access basically it really ruined it for me.

Having to go through RNG jesus for lvl 50 crafted gear once was good enough for me, and amassing like 6k gold, did everything but build a castle.

game looks deep, but its incredibly shallow when you get down to it.

Vitality

HUSTLE
AA was a FAR FAR FAR better game in alpha/beta LOL, it's not even close to close.

Advantages to be gained in this game for alpha and beta players are probably just class/skill optimization considering the fact they're saying the world levels and rulesets will be a changing factor of the game to keep it fresh.

Primary differences in this topic regarding AA is that AA is a very static world with a very static ruleset.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
AA was probably the most alpha-experience friendly because of the land-rush and because the alpha players had an idea of what stuff would inflate faster and could invest accordingly. Of course nobody predicted that labor pots would be duped to high heaven and kept low due to incredible amounts of supply.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
AA was probably the most alpha-experience friendly because of the land-rush and because the alpha players had an idea of what stuff would inflate faster and could invest accordingly. Of course nobody predicted that labor pots would be duped to high heaven and kept low due to incredible amounts of supply.
You didn't know this at the end of alpha? I sure did, this game had potential but once that patch 1.0 hit, it was lights out for this game and I saw the writing on the wall with that shit early.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
he was there at the end though, to see what a massive heap of shit this was gonna turn out to be.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it's anything like path of exile leagues (which I still hop back in the game for) the start of a new league is pretty hype every 3 or so months.
guessing ive probably played more PoE than anyone here and id agree its fun for a few weeks every new league. Im not complaining that they reset, id just rather players be in control of when the phases change rather than some clock.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Idk man, Tuco's guild is going to wake the sleeper on a server and cast a shadow across the land boosting all the zombies so new players with rusty swords can't do anything for weeks until his guild beats the sleeper to reset the world.

I guess it doesn't matter that much if Tuco's guild does that because they can always play on a different fresher world.

But you know there's going to be one or two rulesets that everyone is just going to pile into.

It would be a whole nother type of PVP for a notorious guild to join a fresh world and quickly flip the seasons.

It has to be done pretty well though or people will quit when said guild lords over the servers like that.

EditEditEdit: It looks like the devs are open to player suggestions when faced with the decisions for new worlds. For instance there's a reddit post already about a world where there's no win condition and the world resets when the last player owned structure is destroyed. Every season change (whatever time limit that may be) the zombies get harder and harder and harder. Kind of like a survival server.

So what's stopping them from releasing player controlled season change rulesets where if a guild defeats a particular boss the world spins into a harder version? With the win condition being the final boss of that world is killed? It's within the realm of what their pitching.

For fucks sake they can even make a win reward that lets the winning guild decide what the next ruleset will be.

In theory I'm against it, but it's unavoidable that players use their RL assets to gain advantages in the game. Been that way all the way back to the early MMOs. So the company might as well monetize it I guess, better then putting blatant P2W into the (also inevitable) cash shop.
If you think about Dota 2, it's mostly cosmetics that the RL assets are flowing into. Nothing really affects gameplay advantage.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't know if I would even want ships in this game. If you're going to have ship combat you need to make it critical to your game like AA and AC4 did. Ship gameplay is a serious investment and you can't just tack it on. I'd rather they focus on making a coherent land-only game before worrying about the sea.

Plus once 1.7 comes out in AA I'll probably get my fill of ship-pvp. Like any gameplay it's fun but only to a point, and water gameplay is generally awful.
Waterworld campaign.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I am confident the people who play the paid alpha/beta in this game extensively will have a huge leg up on the rest of us. They'll rush and be the first to hit a level/gear soft-cap and then 90% of them will quit and go hype themselves on the next game.

Ex: I actually think you spent more time in character builders in AA than playing the game post release.
I did because the game was boring. I don't have a lot of time to game in the evening, maybe an hour or two. Logging into an MMO and sitting around for 30-90 minutes while figuring out what to do is boring to me these days.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Like hang themselves?
image.png

moar news

[...] We are *NOT* f2p. It's not the right model for this experience in our view.More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdown ends.
about active blocking

Interesting to me because we debated blocking many times on my last project (DCUO). We ended up with an active block, as often as you wanted to go into block mode. Part of every characters basic kit was an attack that had a "block breaker" component which severely penalized any player blocking if hit by it. Npc's were also able to block break. So there was a decent counter balance to blocking, and no one "turtled up" for very long. That was also in a combat system that was loaded with combo chains and you could predict where your opponent was going with their combo chain with a high degree of certainty as long as you had some knowledge of that weapon's combos.

We are still chatting about this one because it moves you much further along into the action combat spectrum and how far do we want to go into that spectrum? Dashes instead of a dodge skill, and real physics instead of server movement and fancy client trickery already put us in pretty deep. I suspect varying masses for characters is going to create some behaviors I haven't seen in an MMO before.Slam into a centaur and you might bounce back (Yah centaurs are OP, I know, but when was the last time you got to play a centaur as a character race?).

Always open to discussion, let's see what y'all think.