Crowfall

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
just in time for me to go to work, ask some good questions guys and remember, this isn't Brad or Curt.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's an artist. What's there to shit on him about? What's he gonna say, that he prefers studded leather on elven archers over mithril chainmail? The horror.

xWJRQzX.jpg

Oh, I've got one. Draw more boobs. There is no upper limit on the amount of boobs you should include in your work.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
I'm not even going to look through his stuff but I'm going to call his art shit until I see a decent fuzzy troll posted.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm not even going to look through his stuff but I'm going to call his art shit until I see a decent fuzzy troll posted.
Lol, first 2 commissions must be fuzzy troll and a red panda pirate.
Also, to get it out of the way: what happens in 30 days?

Hey all! Was directed over here by Gogojira.. did a quick read of the thread so far. Agraza is right, as an artist. I can only talk about so many things. I am also only allowed to say so much, as you can guess. Todd does answer alot of questions on the crowfall forums though. But let me go through a bit of history of myself. Unlike most concept artists in the industry. I am a mmo nut. I neglected painting classes in college to finish my emp key in ssra during luclin. I am a long time eve online player as well (till recently I was in No Holes Barred living in polaris (a c6), doing largescale wh pvp for years. I've had to go a bit dormant lately though from all the work we are trying to push out. I am recently getting back to playing on p99.

I am the Lead Artist at ArtCraft working on Crowfall, and I am also the lead concept artist. 99% of the painted work so far has been my own. I saw someone post some of my work earlier. as you can see from some of them, I also produce work for Games Workshop for 40k and warhammer for their books.

It's interesting to be in this position.. because over the years.. I've been in the same place as being hyped for games... and then having them be huge disappointments (warhammer, conan, etc we all know the list). I am also trying to obtain a certain look and feel for the characters and world. I don't feel personally my work is as cartoony and animated as eqn.. I want to get a balance of real world grit.. with also getting personality.. pops of color.. and unique shapes and designs into it. It's a tough area to hit but I am working like crazy for it.

We have tons and tons of info coming out in the next weeks.. so definately check it out. I will be hanging out on the forums also.. I IM'd Bentos right now about that post.. which is funny cause we talk alot about old eq stories and about how crazy that time in mmos were.

Also, anyone can follow me on twitter (where i spend alot of time lately) @myelectronicday
i will be posting crowfall art.. shots from the studio etc on there as well.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I neglected painting classes in college to finish my emp key in ssra during luclin.
One of us...One of us...

I have to say, that the first thing I saw for Crowfall was the art (particularly the soldier in the character creation screen) - and I was instantly interested, before even knowing anything about the game. It looks great, and I think you've struck a great balance between stylized and 'cartoony'.

Look forward to seeing more!

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
As an mmo nut, how nervous does it make you to be in production concurrently with Brad McQuaid's mighty Pantheon?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Welcome to the board! I think you're hitting the sweet spot with art and I hope it translates in game. What engine are you guys going with?

I like realism in certain instances but it's so easy to go all uncanny valley which is incredibly painful to the eye. You're work looks great so far.

Maybe this has been addressed already but are you guys working strictly with investor money or are you taking to crowdfunding eventually?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The more Eq neckbeards on this project the more likely it'll fail.
Only if they're going the Brad McQuaid route in thinking that EQ was the pinnacle of MMO design, and trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again (Pantheon).

gogojira_sl

shitlord
That's a random statement considering in this instance it's very easy to quantify what value is being brought to the table with art direction.

And for as much as I'd love a game inspired by EQ neckbeards (pantheon that is actually a thing and is good), this game really doesn't seem to be that.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'm interested with a dose of optimism.

Have they mentioned anything with regards to instancing? Let's leave the world as one world please.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm interested with a dose of optimism.

Have they mentioned anything with regards to instancing? Let's leave the world as one world please.
They haven't said specifically whether there will be instances on a per server basis (like instanced dungeons). But all 'servers' will have unique world geographies, and you can travel between them.