Crowfall

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
There won't be a good full-loot mmo until some developer wises up and moves beyond the standard "HP up and down until 0" combat model, the typical character power curve, item-centric progression, and the thoughtless conventions governing inventory capacity, item ownership, criminal law, player reputation, and every other system that interacts with the concept.

Full loot should simply be a natural expectation in any persistent world game that allows pvp. I've found that the more natural expectations a game breaks, the shittier it tends to be. Speaking of which, it hasn't been confirmed that crowfall will allow full loot.
rrr_img_88755.png

Crowfall - Raph Koster Introduction - YouTube@ 1:40

It has been hinted at more than once. I think its a pretty safe bet.

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Welp my body is ready to rabidly follow this for five years across various forums before it inevitably turns to ashes in my mouth due to terrible design decisions or funding fuckups. Let's do this.
I'm with you brother. We will be horribly disappointed together.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Welp my body is ready to rabidly follow this for five years across various forums before it inevitably turns to ashes in my mouth due to terrible design decisions or funding fuckups. Let's do this.
What are you talking about? This almost never happens!!!1!1!eleven

=**(

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
The crafting dev (Tom Blair) that did that interview was one of our officers in Triton (EQ) for years and I passed leadership to him when I retired. Main toon was Bentos The Hero, eventually went to work for SOE and was the GM (Blixtev) that suspended Legacy Of Steel for "exploiting". He's always been a crafting nut so I hope he can see his vision realized. I haven't played MMOs in a long time but this looks decent.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm curious if they'll work off the SB/EVE/TOR model of crafting where you cook items and come back to the finished product later. I think it works well for mass producing PvP gear to be used up and replaced, but I'd like to see someone take the contract system of SB much further. SB's NPC contracts + EVE's mineral distribution would be sexy. Manually crafting each item ala EQ/WoW is blah to me. Resource collection and crafting equipment acquisition is the more enjoyable moment to moment activity for me as a crafter than the "press button receive item" part. Toss in EVE's PI system and let me network mine with other players to handle pushing gear through multiple layers of power or complexity.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Crafting systems are fine, but to truly make it engaging is in the gathering. If its running node to node and clicking, it will be shitty. If its kind of idle mining it'll be a bit better. If its building buildings and maintaining them like an Rts then it'll be interesting.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I was hoping they would do the starwars galaxies style shifting resources. There would be several types of steel (cubirian, dura etc) and copper and such, but unique variants would spawn with randomly generated names and stats. Once the unique variants shifted away they were gone forever, but you could usually find the type you needed by flying around to a few planets.

Though, later on, they made a special item, seems like it was a loyalty type item for being subbed for a long time, called the resource crate, where you could type in a name and it would give you 200k of whatever resource that was. So mostly people used it to look up the best lightsaber copper or steel that had ever spawned on their server and used it for that.

Resources also had a gradient of purity across an area that was random. You had to follow your survey device around to find the richest spot. Usually you knew you were in the ballpark when you started seeing huge clusters of heavy mineral harvesters. Though sometimes the hotspots would end up in a town. Tying extraction to an area meant that there was an upper limit to how much of the stuff could be extracted per hour. It was either well thought out or just worked out to be great by accident.

Once used in crafting it wasn't perfect though. Often only one stat of the 5 or 6 resources had mattered.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
A lot remains to be seen, but if they are trying to be more of a Fantasy EVE rather than a traditional MMO, then I'm tentatively excited.

EVE seems like the only MMO that has really sort of flourished in spite of WoW (other MMOs seem to have a huge rise, followed by an epic drop), and no one compares to two really whatsoever.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
One of the devs says he might stop by and post. Here's to hoping all that lovely Rerolled charm doesn't put him off completely, it'd be nice to have a dev to engage with.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
He's on the art team, says he's making an account today. Checked out his work at his personal art page, some really really good work.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Has he been informed that this is a hive of scum and villainy, that we're in league with terrorists?

I like his art.

Theodlard

Golden Knight of the Realm
A lot remains to be seen, but if they are trying to be more of a Fantasy EVE rather than a traditional MMO, then I'm tentatively excited.
Cautiously optimistic as well.

EVE has the best means of getting equipment out of circulation, which in turns drives the economy. Even PVE death results in some loss of items. I'd love to see this in other games to help stimulate the economy and make crafting more viable.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
This is the birthplace of MMO criticism. I hope the devs are ready for our highly evolved critics. We are extremely hostile, terrifying, coldblooded, and breath dragonfire.