Crowfall

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I don't really care one way or the other - but why is everyone here so pro-nameplates? Is it just to build rivalries easier, to make it more personal?
There is literally no downside to having them and knowing right away who people are and being able to plan accordingly is awesome.

In WAR we would travel around in groups of 5-8 people depending on who was online. When our tanks would wade in to a group of like 20-30 dudes we wanted to kill it was nice to know that we need to focus down X player who is good before killing all the scrubs. It set up real rivalries. Fuck, half of the fun of WAR was that shitty run Curse site where you would talk trash to the other realm and call them fags.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
whats the matter vit, don't like the threads about hair physics, in-game holidays, and asking for console version?

Vitality

HUSTLE
I feel real sorry for the people that actually have to wade through that shit man.

On another note:

Yes, to be clear, we are only promising the EK + Dregs for the initial $800k, so the speed at which we bring the other rulesets online depends on the overall trajectory of the KS campaign and our ability to come up with other money. Give it another week and I'll be able to give you better insight, but as of right now, things look really positive.

More details posted in another thread titled, "Question about the scope of the KS campaign".

Todd
ACE

----

This makes nameplates more of a pledge deciding factor than ever.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't really care one way or the other - but why is everyone here so pro-nameplates? Is it just to build rivalries easier, to make it more personal?
PVP in a game like this should be heavy on the two R's- Reputation and Rivalry. Knowing the identity of your assailant/target/victim is imperative. Nameplates make knowing the identity of your assailant/target/victim easy.

Vitality

HUSTLE
More stuff from Jtodd on Kickstarter money placement:

this answer is for two of the posts directly above me (so I'm not going to quote them directly), but the question is "why aren't your first two stretch goals for the additional rulesets?" and it's a great question.

Both of these stretch goals strengthen the foundation of the game -- which I felt was the most important thing right now. If we can make EK + Dregs work, REALLY work and feel great, the other rulesets will be easy. If we don't make the foundation strong, then 20 different rulesets aren't going make a difference; the game just won't work.

On the first one:
Star Citizen has shown that the game has to sell itself for people to buy into it, and (not to be too critical of our own work), but I feel like the particle effects we have in the game right now are rather weak. If we want the game to be successful, they HAVE to be better. The side effect of getting more characters, faster really is an added bonus.

On the second:
Two comment, here.

First, mount speed changes the way you build the Worlds (in our case, the way build the algorithm to build the worlds). It has implications on continent size, road size, collision, buildings, you name it. If we are ever going to have mounts in this case, we need to decide that now, otherwise it will cost us months and months of rework (which we can't afford.)

Second, the caravan rules are something that I really, REALLY wanted to include in the base vision, but we just couldn't make it fit. Mounts are great, and players love them -- but the game implications of having materials require you to protect them as you transport them around the map -- the strategic implications of that are HUGE. The emergent behaviors that it causes, like when a party ambushes you and kill your mule, leaving you with a pile of really valuable stuff you can't carry -- this strengthens the foundation of the game in EVERY ruleset.

And we need that foundation to be strong.

It's a judgement call, agreed. I felt these items should go first, but you guys may feel differently. Every time I make a decision, some people are unhappy with it.
Comes with the job.

Going forward, as I said in the letter, I want to talk to you guys about what you feel is most importantly and pitch our stretch goals accordingly.

IMO, the alternate rulesets should be next, but would love to hear your opinions if you feel differently.

Todd
ACE

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Without nameplates you have no idea who you are fighting against or with, and they have no idea who you are. This adds a huge impediment to building a community and developing reputations. This causes the game to feel very lifeless for players.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok here's an example:

My guild and your guild get into a skirmish over territory. It starts small, but soon escalates into a large-scale conflict involving most of the members from both guilds. I'm running around the edges of the fray, sniping at opponents on the outside (I'm a caster and can't afford to get into the melee), when I suddenly see Narc's nameplate in the center of the shitstorm. I remember that fucker Narc has PKed me three times in the last two days and I see my chance for revenge, so I throw caution to the winds, wade into the thick of it and take him out. Not possible if you don't know who you are fighting.

I could go on with other examples about Rivalry and Reputation and why it's important to know the identities of who you are fighting, but I'm hoping you can just extrapolate.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel real sorry for the people that actually have to wade through that shit man.

On another note:

Yes, to be clear, we are only promising the EK + Dregs for the initial $800k, so the speed at which we bring the other rulesets online depends on the overall trajectory of the KS campaign and our ability to come up with other money. Give it another week and I'll be able to give you better insight, but as of right now, things look really positive.

More details posted in another thread titled, "Question about the scope of the KS campaign".

Todd
ACE

----

This makes nameplates more of a pledge deciding factor than ever.
I'm glad they're doing EK and Dregs first. Personally after GW2,ESO and AA I'm done with factional gameplay for now. And the Guild vs Guild world seems nearly equivalent to the Dregs which is just open world pvp.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
No nameplates can't possibly be an option with their resetting campaigns. The worlds come and go, but the players are supposed to be the anchor.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Jtodd says the GvG world is as close to Shadowbane as they can get. (in that interview video) hence why it's named "The Shadow"

ili_sl

shitlord
Without nameplates you have no idea who you are fighting against or with, and they have no idea who you are. This adds a huge impediment to building a community and developing reputations. This causes the game to feel very lifeless for players.
Yah. But joining a match an instantly knowing everyone's name/class/race/guild/spec is just dumb. Everything should be anonymous until discovered. I remember back in the WoW's old honor system people would abandon/go afk games when they ran into guilds with high rep as hardcore PvPers/Honor grinders.. It got to the point my guild could just walk in and 5 cap Arathi Basin an win in 30secs or something stupid without a fight.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
EK

We are talking about how people can work together to pool their EK resources for their guilds. Structures should be no problem to place on your guild world instead of your own, but parcels can be problematic. We're still discussing it internally to see if we can come up with a solution that you guys will be happy with, but won't break the game. As for the buildings themselves, yes, they are cosmetic -- but, yes, you can slot NPCs and crafting stations inside them. Then again, you can do that in other buildings too, so that's not particularly unique to these buildings.

Todd,
ACE

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yah. But joining a match an instantly knowing everyone's name/class/race/guild/spec is just dumb. Everything should be anonymous until discovered. I remember back in the WoW's old honor system people would abandon/go afk games when they ran into guilds with high rep as hardcore PvPers/Honor grinders.. It got to the point my guild could just walk in and 5 cap Arathi Basin an win in 30secs or something stupid.
Wow doesn't have FFA PVP or Friendly Fire at all. (Except for maybe the Glad sanctum brawl thing now)

Not a very good comparison on the use of nameplates.

Also now... With cross server pvp and instances your name is more worthless than ever.

Rarely will you see the same group twice.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jtodd says the GvG world is as close to Shadowbane as they can get. (in that interview video) hence why it's named "The Shadow"
Did he say what's different about Shadow vs dregs? Is the only difference that you can't kill guild mates? If so that's a poor feature.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yah. But joining a match an instantly knowing everyone's name/class/race/guild/spec is just dumb. Everything should be anonymous until discovered. I remember back in the WoW's old honor system people would abandon/go afk games when they ran into guilds with high rep as hardcore PvPers/Honor grinders.. It got to the point my guild could just walk in and 5 cap Arathi Basin an win in 30secs or something stupid.
That's more of a problem with battlegrounds than nameplates. In a FFA/open world game if someone saw you and ran away you could steal their caravan and they lose something. In BG they just requeue to get a different opponent and only lose a couple minutes.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
My guess would be the victory conditions for dregs and shadow are the biggest differences from a rule set.