Crowfall

Eternal Kingdoms have PvE but they don't provide rare reagents or building materials. I guess you could still level up your skills there till the 20% thing kicks in and farm low quality items / reagents? /shrug.
EK is important, you want to go on a campaign? Well the most powerful EK guild can allow you to bring in the BEST weapons besides Dregs and allow you to build fortresses faster. You gain a huge advantage if you have a strong EK.

And to those that don't like starting fresh after each campaign, remember you will retain some of your gear for next campaign and it will go a long way to making you more powerful. You don't need to "farm" if you don't want to, just swear fealty to someone, they gear you up and you can just go ham on people.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
EK is important, you want to go on a campaign? Well the most powerful EK guild can allow you to bring in the BEST weapons besides Dregs and allow you to build fortresses faster. You gain a huge advantage if you have a strong EK.

And to those that don't like starting fresh after each campaign, remember you will retain some of your gear for next campaign and it will go a long way to making you more powerful. You don't need to "farm" if you don't want to, just swear fealty to someone, they gear you up and you can just go ham on people.
Yea except... you can just go to a different one if you don't have/want to carry in that gear...

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea except... you can just go to a different one if you don't have/want to carry in that gear...
Exactly. The people getting their ass kicked repeatedly by those with way more resources will just opt to join the campaigns where they start on a more even footing.

And from what we've seen, those campaigns are actually more rewarding because they're more restrictive.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
They did say EK's can go to war with each other right? So two guilds could mutually agree to trash each other's places as a grudge match between campaigns...sounds kinda fun actually.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Exactly. The people getting their ass kicked repeatedly by those with way more resources will just opt to join the campaigns where they start on a more even footing.

And from what we've seen, those campaigns are actually more rewarding because they're more restrictive.
Well, to be fair... if worlds have fixed resources, you can basically just have open season on it. Of course I suppose that's a self-fulfilling prophecy to a degree...

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
They did say EK's can go to war with each other right? So two guilds could mutually agree to trash each other's places as a grudge match between campaigns...sounds kinda fun actually.
They said it's a design the want to implement.

Optional PvP is kind of lame. I'd rather see a system similar to Baning in Shadowbane. You declare war, they get to pick their best time to defend - then you go at it (perhaps with some balancing factor). Then the EK's can start to mean something - there can be wars over competing economies, etc.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

Yeah those with more individual/small group skill will gravitate towards dregs and those with more cooperative play "team effort" will gravitate towards 3 faction and they can meet in the middle at gvg with loosely equivalent resources at their disposal.

Yeah those with more individual/small group skill will gravitate towards dregs and those with more cooperative play "team effort" will gravitate towards 3 faction and they can meet in the middle at gvg with loosely equivalent resources at their disposal.
The Dregs will also have the BEST loot available in the game. So there's even more incentive to go there.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I disagree with you completely.

While I may enjoy 1-3 month campaigns, it's still an MMO. I want some sort of meaningful continuity between campaigns. I think they have a chance to do that with the EK, but there has to be some risk. But if it's just a virtual waiting/trophy room - then what's the point? Even a complete safe zone to craft is detrimental, in my opinion.

One idea I've seen kicked around is that trophies/relics/whatever earned from campaigns would give you bonuses in campaigns - but your EK could be attacked and your trophies stolen.

I don't know, just feels like there's so much they could do with the EK.
This seem at odds of what I've read. Maybe you're hoping for one thing and reading too much into things?

The meaningfull continuity is your character and it's skill level. Gear in this game is as transient as ships and stuff you outfit them with are in EVE. Your meaningful progression is training skills. EK is nothing more than a way to show off stuff, store crafting materials and create things that you can bring into the next campaign with you assuming the import rules allow it. They have mentioned that some "trophies" will provide buffs but they have no idea how much or how little to make them seem cool without creating a drastic advantage.

The point of EK is to create a space you can call your own so the game doesn't become a campaign lobby screen outside of campaigns in my opinion. It also gives players a place to "socialize" or whatever that means, inside the game world. So far, the only way you can be attacked in EK is if you agree to "dual" someone Kingdom vs. Kingdom.

Eternal Kingdoms is not the game, the campaigns are the game. I think you're hoping in the wrong direction.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eternal Kingdoms is not the game, the campaigns are the game. I think you're hoping in the wrong direction.
Oh I completely understand that I'm wanting more. I just think they could make the Eternal Kingdoms apart of the game rather than a virtual lobby.

As is, I don't see how this is a 'Throne War' simulator, when everyone gets their own kingdom and there's absolutely no risk to them at all.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Trophies for winning campaigns also add to meaningful continuity as they provide some kind of rewarding boost

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Oh I completely understand that I'm wanting more. I just think they could make the Eternal Kingdoms apart of the game rather than a virtual lobby.

As is, I don't see how this is a 'Throne War' simulator, when everyone gets their own kingdom and there's absolutely no risk to them at all.
The game is the campaign. In the campaign you build castles and siege shit. Your kingdom is your guild as you battle it out inside campaigns. From all they have said, the EK is a bit more than a virtual lobby, but not much else. They need a static area for the economy to bridge campaigns. This is the platform for it I'm assuming.

Why do you want EK's to be more? The campaigns have everything in it.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why do you want EK's to be more? The campaigns have everything in it.
I just feel it could have more social and economic significance that ties in to the campaigns (to some extent). It seems strange to create an 'optional social hub' in what was touted as a hardcore PvP game with a mantra of Play to Crush.

But whatever. I'm fine just spamming campaigns back to back. I just think it could be better.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think both small groups and large groups wil lgravitate toward the dregs. The gvg seems useless. The factional stuff is better for newer players who want to PvP but don't have a proper group of people to do it with.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, your EK is also a Bazaar of sorts, it appears. A place where people go to trade, buy sell and equip themselves for future campaigns (As far as I could see, except for the Terminator rule set, all the others allow you to bring resources in.) So I imagine the EK will be important as a trading/crafting ground, as well as a place to show off trophies.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Boosts such as...?
"Campaign Trophies include relics, artifacts, materials and rare resources - the things that are required to build structures, craft equipment, and fuel the economy in your Kingdom."

I have yet to understand what Terminator rule players get out of campaigns other than the experience and fun of winning a campaign. Might be worth asking in the interview tomorrow.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
"Campaign Trophies include relics, artifacts, materials and rare resources - the things that are required to build structures, craft equipment, and fuel the economy in your Kingdom."

I have yet to understand what Terminator rule players get out of campaigns other than the experience and fun of winning a campaign. Might be worth asking in the interview tomorrow.
Yea I got the resource and nebulous 'trophy' (which I'm assuming is cosmetic) bit but... all of that shit seems 'useless' ultimately. It's seems like EK is just a giant shining Garrison on the hill for everybody.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved DOTA and you couldn't keep anything. I guess I either want to care about the resources... or not. Right now it's like 'CARE ABOUT THE RESOURCES BECAUSE YOU CAN!!!' which makes me wonder how the ultimate drive is going to keep people engaged.

To me, PvP is more fun tactically/strategically and the combat is just the skill-test.