Cyberpunk 2077

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I’m only like 3 hours in, and there’s so much on the map, it makes my head hurt(in a good way). I just don’t even know where to start.

I hate to say it...but wait til you play a few hours more. You’ll see despite the fact there’s a lot on the map much of it is really repetitive and kinda bland.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hate to say it...but wait til you play a few hours more. You’ll see despite the fact there’s a lot on the map much of it is really repetitive and kinda bland.
Now we're talking. Give us some more doses of reality Jackie Treehorn. I want to know if this thing actually measures up to its massive hype.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I love the cheap shots at Half Life taking 50 years for the next installment, lol.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Now we're talking. Give us some more doses of reality Jackie Treehorn. I want to know if this thing actually measures up to its massive hype.

If you want some good honest opinions, check out the cyberpunk Reddit. Search for keywords like boring, bland, RPG, RDR2, GTAV...people are making more eloquent points than me.

I don’t even like to naysay games that often, and like I said this game does have some cool stuff going, but it really needed a couple more years of fleshing out I’d say. It’s simply bland once you get into a bit.

I know it’s ludicrous to say it needed more development given how long it was worked on, but it’s really a bit undercooked in so many ways.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

nu_11

I’ve played like 10 hours. A lot of these people who say this game is boring or bland are probably correct in a sense.

I don’t generally play open world games because I find them tedious and boring. To me Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty good for an open world game. But if I played every other open world game previously, red dead, Skyrim, horizon, Valhalla, I think I’d be sick of the similarities as well... no matter how well CDPR implemented them. So it sounds like open world fatigue to me more than anything, which I don’t have cause I don’t really play open world games.

There are times when I’m playing this and I’m completely amazed the visuals of the game. I literally feel immersed in this world for a second. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me because I prefer to stay grounded in reality and not get lost in fantasy land. But this game manages to pull it off occasionally. I’m playing it at 60 fps on a 40” screen at 2000p and ultra settings.

There are things to be disappointed about, however, the sometimes lifeless npcs, the music is underwhelming, too much shit to loot makes it feel like a looter shooter, etc. But it’s still an impressive game imo.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I don’t generally play open world games because I find them tedious and boring. To me the game is pretty good for an open world game. But if I played every other open world game previously, red dead, Skyrim, horizon, Valhalla, I think I’d be sick of the similarities as well... no matter how well CDPR implemented them. So it sounds like open world fatigue to me more than anything, which I don’t have cause I don’t really play open world game.

They didn't implement those things well at all, that's the problem. So many open world games before this had cities / worlds that actually felt alive because there was so much non-static things going on you could interact with. People aren't sick of the similarities, they don't like the lack of similarity.

nu_11

They didn't implement those things well at all, that's the problem. So many open world games before this had cities / worlds that actually felt alive because there was so much non-static things going on you could interact with. People aren't sick of the similarities, they don't like the lack of similarity.
From what I’ve seen those games are wide but flat. Cyberpunk has vertical layers. They did an open word similar to how Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided did a city block hub.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The game has a lot going for it.

That said - pretty disappointed with the dialog and intricacies of what you can say, and effect of what you say. Most times I’ve seen in 8 hours of play, you’ve got like 2-3 things to say, but 1 or 2 are just flavor, and the last that continues the conversation on...you have no choice over to change anything.

I was hoping for something more like Bloodlines, or other RPGs where you’ve got like 7-8 choices for dialog with a lot going on. This feels pretty on rails in that regard. Fallout does dialog way better, for another example.

Also while the world is really vibrant and fun to look at, all the NPCs everywhere are pretty bland...there really isn’t that much going on you can interact with in any meaningful way.

The world feels much less alive than, say, RDR2 by quite a margin...it had so many people you can interact with in different ways tucked all over the place. I’ve spent hours walking around Cyberpunk and I’ve never see any interesting random thing going on or person to really do anything with. I’d say even the past couple of Deus Ex games had worlds that feel more “alive” than this.

The main quest is cool but it makes me wonder what they were doing for 8 years.

edit:

This guy pretty much nails a lot of things I was thinking. The loot is really annoying to me also.

it's a great game so far, but ya, at the same time it's probably the most overhyped game in history

rockstar games obviously don't look as good, but have a much (edit: maybe slightly too strong a word) richer overall atmosphere when everything is combined

as is always said with this kind of thing - they should have coppied the new vegas quest brilliance and spliced in these stories / graphics / world, but I guess that's why brilliance is brilliance, it's rare.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a week into studying for the February bar exam, can I download and exercise self control to play a bit of this game or will it destroy my life?

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm just playing for the story really. I like the on the rails story because I feel like I'm just playing a movie. Combat is like okish and nothing to write home about. I'm playing on a 3090 and the shit looks amazing. I float between 50-60 fps (everything on max minus a couple stupid thing like film grain) with an occasional dip but hasn't really fucked with me in combat yet. Just finished Act 2

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm a week into studying for the February bar exam, can I download and exercise self control to play a bit of this game or will it destroy my life?

This game aside, I'd say stay the course of studying and light on games because we know that ain't easy!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
"This diamond dick is cloudy". You're playing an open-world game that has to be backwards compatible on 7 year old consoles, had to launch on multiple platforms with hundreds of quests, etc. etc. Games that are effectively Launch titles that aren't exclusive *can't* ever be revolutionary because the tools and dev kits are brand new, and this game in particular has been developed for and across multiple platforms. If you want to see the negative, you are certainly going to be able to find it. Congratulations, you ruined your own lands, Jackie Treehorn. It's a program, though, not a real simulation of a future city. "What were they doing for X years?" Trying to make the best game they could fit into all of those different boxes. If it doesn't work for you, fantastic. There are legit shortcomings, although many of things described in that post are personal preferences. For me personally, I am chalking it up to the learning curve. Some will be worked out, and some will be fixed in patches to come. It's inevitable. There are things can be improved. The HUD should scale. The game is overwhelming at first. The NCPD are unforgiving: If you go on a call for them, don't accidently shoot the victims, even once. Some will never be fixed and the illusion of a real city will become the pierced veil at some point, constructed via programming magic. Just a note: Game was only in development since 2016, after Witcher DLCs were finished, not 10 years.

Best game ever? Maybe not. Been a long time since I felt that level of immersion that I experienced playing it last night, though. Huge Deus Ex world to be explored, Skyrim style? I'll say thanks and go on my way.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
"This diamond dick is cloudy". You're playing an open-world game that has to be backwards compatible on 7 year old consoles, had to launch on multiple platforms with hundreds of quests, etc. etc. Games that are effectively Launch titles that aren't exclusive *can't* ever be revolutionary because the tools and dev kits are brand new, and this game in particular has been developed for and across multiple platforms. If you want to see the negative, you are certainly going to be able to find it. Congratulations, you ruined your own lands, Jackie Treehorn. It's a program, though, not a real simulation of a future city. "What were they doing for X years?" Trying to make the best game they could fit into all of those different boxes. If it doesn't work for you, fantastic. There are legit shortcomings, although many of things described in that post are personal preferences. There are things can be improved. The HUD should scale. The game is overwhelming at first. The NCPD are unforgiving: If you go on a call for them, don't accidently shoot the victims, even once. Just a note: Game was only in development since 2016, after Witcher DLCs were finished, not 10 years.

Best game ever? Maybe not. Been a long time since I felt that level of immersion that I experienced playing it last night, though. Huge Deus Ex world to be explored, Skyrim style? I'll say thanks and go on my way.

Everything in reviewing a movie, TV show, piece of art, or a video game is subjective / personal preferences.

Many of us thought this was going to be an uber-detailed RPG that was really heavy on RPG elements. It is not. And that's fine, it's cool, there are other games for that, I just think they played it off as being more of an RPG than it really is.

• 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, yeah, sure, I can see how doing the stop crime "events" or some of the side missions can be repetitive. I go in, blast some dudes, and walk away with a bunch of trash loot and exp. But there's some story there in some of them. And if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to do any of it.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm a hard core GTA fan boy, I am not liking the driving experience or the geometry of the cars, they seems unnecessarily flatter than the need to be. They seem a bit like Saints Row cars if you know the game.

I was wondering if maybe the game is native 1080p but is being stretched out for my 2560x1080 display, aside from that not as 'open world' as I thought. I admit I am probably comparing too much to GTA, all the while this is just a much better looking Saints Row.

edit: Switched to windowed 1920x1080 and the everything looks a bit better

Last edited:
  • 1Like

nu_11

Everything in reviewing a movie, TV show, piece of art, or a video game is subjective / personal preferences.

Many of us thought this was going to be an uber-detailed RPG that was really heavy on RPG elements. It is not. And that's fine, it's cool, there are other games for that, I just think they played it off as being more of an RPG than it really is.
You just overhyped yourself to unrealistic expectations is all. That's on you and not on anyone else. Gamers can be cringiest whiners.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did the people with weird expectations of what this was going to be never play the Witcher games or something? This is just bizarre to read.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
You just overhyped yourself to unrealistic expectations is all. That's on you and not on anyone else. Gamers can be cringiest whiners.
I read virtually nothing about this game. See how many posts I made in this thread prior to today. Hardly ever read it or maybe never posted in it.

Making points about things you dislike is not “whining.”

The only one being cringy is you for defending it so vehemently, nerd.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty