Cyberpunk 2077

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I can’t remember the name of the game...it was a shooter from the 90s and it actually had DOS prompt terminals inside the game where you could run DOS commands to get at information. It came out after Duke Nukem and before Daikatana is all I recall. Maybe around the time Shogo came out?
Wasn't there a terminator game around that time that had a cool hacking minigame?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think hacking just has a problem of what people "think" it should look like, versus what people have a good idea about how it is, versus people that actually know how to hack think it should look, versus the end all be all in a video game - fun. In a game like this, I personally dont think anyone in that year is going to be hacking anything by themselves. I would imagine it would be more along the lines of AI using super computers and unlimited bandwidth to probe and investigate the systems in place at the mission area. With layers upon layers of virtual private networks disguising the origin of the inquiries.

So if anything, you would receive a mission - go to your bunker to start the AI's investigation routine on the mission area. With almost instant response, the AI tells you that its such and such manufacturer and gives you a list of opportunities to take advantage of. For example, a security system by Votec Industries has a tier 1 backdoor that allows you to take control of Turrets as soon as you are able to put the routine into a break point. A security system by Intel causes the area to overheat. etc. etc. The break point for these systems being an on site delivery method that is directed by the AI in a "witcher sense" kind of display.

As you go through the game, you get different pieces of tech from different corporations and take them back to the AI to be researched. This allows you to climb a tech tree up until master utilization. Then your list of available options for what you can do on the call back response from the AI in the mission area is expanded. So from the example, Votec Industries, you can now control the specific targets, the doors, the cameras etc. This works for Cybernetics as well, as long as you have some wireless capability built into your own cybernetics.

The difficulty could be endless - in that you could run into an area that is completely off the grid. An area that blocks any wireless signals. Enemies that have their own wireless cybernetics designed specifically to not only interrupt yours, but also hack yours. *Any good cybernetic wireless piece is going to have its own firewall, unless you're willing to sacrifice it in order to push your processing power (Distance to target, speed of hack etc.)

I would rather see that because it has some imagination to it - but from what I've seen, it doesnt look bad. Just less... "role play"ish.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Was there? Don't recall it.

I finally figured out the game I was thinking of: SiN.

I was going to guess this. But I don't remember there being command prompt hacking minigame you described. I just knew there was bits you could do in the computers if you looked around levels for clues.

I really want to play SiN again. I enjoyed it at the time but jesus christ the decision to not have skeletons inside their models made the textures go all wobbly and it did NOT age well. On lower resolutions it maybe wasn't as noticeable, but on a modern system, it's disturbingly bad.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Eh just make some kind of Tower Defense mini game and throw a Netrunner theme on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As someone else pointed out, recent SR pc games have added a really good system. You could go directly for mission critical objectives and also attempt side quests for incriminating/valuable data/blackmail stuff in the same system but it was dangerous. The more time you spend in the system the more difficult it becomes as combat etc raises the threat level to where alarms finally trigger and bring deadly IC programs or actual human security in the system with their personas to take you out.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah except by the time Hong Kong came around hacking was so useful that I literally never ran a single mission without Is0bel.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
new night city wire came out today... i'd link it, but honestly it didnt feel like any new info... other than how they hired some swedish band to be samurai for the game... if i was on the fence about the game, this video wouldnt have pushed me in either direction.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
319.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I played a pc game about 15 years ago that was hacking based. It was all about trying to use some intel to hack a login and get a command line, and copy and steal files or change code. Actually was my start in Linux.

no idea what it was called but it was a simpleGUI and fun as hell

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That trailer of life paths while not saying stuff we don’t know is a good way to show how different your starting options are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I wish they had done backgrounds a bit differently. Nomad and Corp are actual classes in the RPG. Also where's my Fixer class! :(

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Oh yea, girl. I'm all Nomad and imma be smashing the fuck outta street kids and getting my hog polished by corpos

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh yea, girl. I'm all Nomad and imma be smashing the fuck outta street kids and getting my hog polished by corpos

I wonder how they balance this.

In the RPG there was little to no point playing anything other than solo if you were planning on entering real-world combat. Combat Sense was arguably the most powerful class ability in-game.