Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Funnily enough, yes. A lot of the VATS tech (don’t recall its name in night city lore) is animated to look exactly like common graphical glitches from early release. The protagonist does a move during a Highway chase that sends his car noclipping over a concrete barrier, shits funny as hell.
That looked so stupid, it was funny. Instant flopping back and forth like that then just moving over to the road. That was the first thing I noticed where I thought…”are they featuring some game bugs here?”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not bad. Personally not a fan of stereotypical anime with the insane over the top visual style so that kind of took it down a little for me.

Finished the last 4 episodes, overall its good. Makes me again question why you dont see more IPs capitalize on shows like this. So many IPs out there(looking at you Deus Ex) that would work great in this format. Its seemingly done well for DOTA and now this. Instead we get horrific shitshows like that latest Resident Evil show.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
I was fully expecting it but
man, it was not a happy show.

Good to see Trigger actually make something good again.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>

Yeah the vibe is pretty depressing even with being able to daydream your perfect fantasies.

I would say its a little over done. Its like how does anyone climb the corporate ladder when every day someone is murdering someone to climb it?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

Th
Yeah the vibe is pretty depressing even with being able to daydream your perfect fantasies.

I would say its a little over done. Its like how does anyone climb the corporate ladder when every day someone is murdering someone to climb it?

I almost didn't get past the first episode, like Primal. Overall it was a great work based on the IP and a good but sometimes tough watch. There are mature shows that pull no punches and then this kind of shit. That's not a spoiler, that's the nature of Night City; Agreed its over done but even the game is presented in this way. It's like every story about Hollywood/Wall Street/Las Vegas/New York plays to that city's character: Well, this is Night City's character. Backstabbing uncaring Corpos, Transhumanism, Netrunners, I don't remember the in world names but street people with a heart of gold, etc. Told like this, though, wow, it was a gut punch for me.

When you think about Warhammer 40k, its easy to look past how terrible for the inhabitants the whole universe is; They are no good guys. The Empire of Man is as close as you get and they are killing 10,000 Psykers a day to keep the Emperor "alive", its just brutal guys and worse guys. Cyberpunk 2077(and man do they overuse the term "cyberpunk" in this show") is fucking *bleak*.

I think many people who like/love this level of bleak live comfortable lives and need tragedy to make them feel alive. I relished this kind of bleak ending as a kid/teen when I didn't know anything about real tragedy and it went against the safe stories I had always read. Now that I know how the world really works, who wants that for entertainment?

Killing Rebecca and David in the last minute? Cold blooded. Maybe David could be another Adam Smasher... NOPE. damn. Also, another movie where if the main couple had just TALKED so much of the story would have not happened. She was killing people who wanted him captured to use as a test subject and he was trying to earn money to get her a trip to the moon. Why couldn't she tell him that? Why couldn't he tell her? I get him wanted to keep it a surprise but its a trope now that the story tension wouldn't happen if they would talk about how much they love each other and the things they are trying to do for each other. "Sleepless in Seattle" was how many years ago and it was a remake of a 30's movie before that? BS.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Th

I almost didn't get past the first episode, like Primal. Overall it was a great work based on the IP and a good but sometimes tough watch. There are mature shows that pull no punches and then this kind of shit. That's not a spoiler, that's the nature of Night City; Agreed its over done but even the game is presented in this way. It's like every story about Hollywood/Wall Street/Las Vegas/New York plays to that city's character: Well, this is Night City's character. Backstabbing uncaring Corpos, Transhumanism, Netrunners, I don't remember the in world names but street people with a heart of gold, etc. Told like this, though, wow, it was a gut punch for me.

When you think about Warhammer 40k, its easy to look past how terrible for the inhabitants the whole universe is; They are no good guys. The Empire of Man is as close as you get and they are killing 10,000 Psykers a day to keep the Emperor "alive", its just brutal guys and worse guys. Cyberpunk 2077(and man do they overuse the term "cyberpunk" in this show") is fucking *bleak*.

I think many people who like/love this level of bleak live comfortable lives and need tragedy to make them feel alive. I relished this kind of bleak ending as a kid/teen when I didn't know anything about real tragedy and it went against the safe stories I had always read. Now that I know how the world really works, who wants that for entertainment?

Killing Rebecca and David in the last minute? Cold blooded. Maybe David could be another Adam Smasher... NOPE. damn. Also, another movie where if the main couple had just TALKED so much of the story would have not happened. She was killing people who wanted him captured to use as a test subject and he was trying to earn money to get her a trip to the moon. Why couldn't she tell him that? Why couldn't he tell her? I get him wanted to keep it a surprise but its a trope now that the story tension wouldn't happen if they would talk about how much they love each other and the things they are trying to do for each other. "Sleepless in Seattle" was how many years ago and it was a remake of a 30's movie before that? BS.

Man how I wished Becca made it. At this point when the last scene with Lucy on the moon came around, I was fully expecting her to kill herself by removing her helmet, show was this bleak.

I thought all the characters were great, and the japanese cast fit really well. Then again, I can't get enough of Aoi Yuki and she was awesome as Lucy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I get that as well. Heavy stuff like this is fine for variety but certainly not something I want to spend all my time consuming.

I can see how in the the current times its popular with young people(hell this is basically a ya story set in the cyberpunk universe). Everyone wants to feel important and accomplished yet we live in a mundane world with little possibility for genuine excitement or accomplishment. 30-40 years ago moving across the country would have been a big life choice, now you just sit on tiktok watching day in the life videos, college is nothing more than grade school for adults now etc.

Man how I wished Becca made it. At this point when the last scene with Lucy on the moon came around, I was fully expecting her to kill herself by removing her helmet, show was this bleak.
Right? She achieves her dream but all she sees is the dead love of her life in it.

Caliane

Th

Its an interesting question. Lovecraftian stories. cyberpunk as you note. vampire, goth. etc. Bleak dystopias with no happy endings. they are oddly popular. I think its gotten worse in the last 15 years or so. no happy endings. Pyrric at best. They infest video games now too, in no small part thanks to Dark souls. i've mentioned it before, I'm sick of it.

It is largely an urban thing I think. I kindof amuse myself with the idea in Cyberpunk or Vampire games. theres just rural people out there living great lives on farms, rural towns, etc just going, "fucking city folk.."

Its possible its the risk/reward of it. in these stories, its 99.9% bad ends... but that .01% find immortality. vampires, immortal cybernetic gods, etc. Maybe its the tragedy making our own lives seem better?

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Fucking hell this is so good.

We half live in this world already, just without the cool golden cyber-fingers that can jerk off at mach 10

• 2Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fucking hell this is so good.

We half live in this world already, just without the cool golden cyber-fingers that can jerk off at mach 10
1663770530465.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Holy shit how did you fit 24 entire pixels in to that GIF

• 2Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think its gotten worse in the last 15 years or so. no happy endings. Pyrric at best. They infest video games now too, in no small part thanks to Dark souls. i've mentioned it before, I'm sick of it.
You can thank all the depressed trannies that now infest "artistic" industries who grew up listening to Simple Plan, MCR, etc. for that.

It's no different than many "artistic" works in the late 90s-early 00s featuring a lot of stories about fucking "the man", destroying "central control", etc. A lot of that were kids who grew up listening to grunge, punk, "thrash", etc. made those.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Are you nerds fucking high. Cyberpunk has been this way since the 80s. The entire point of it was a dystopian hellscape of a future where the daily fight for survival is all that exists for most people.

Trying to blame modern troon-ism for Cyberpunk being 'too dark' is some seriously faggy shit

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Cyberpunk and Shadowrun are both set in a "Corporations own the world" setting. And I would agree that we are definitely building towards that world right now. Some members of the U.S. government are pushing towards breaking up stuff like Facebook, etc... yet it's pretty clear that's just a shell game, a dog-and-pony show, since they're still taking their cuts from the pharmaceutical, tobacco, and machines of war industries.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Great show, but I also can’t really watch shit like this anymore. Reminded me of Berserk egg scene, but not quite as brutal.

Caliane

watching this now. Matt mercer is half assing it, and taking me out of the show with this character. just do the same cowboy he always does.
gus just sounding like Gus as well.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity