D.C. Naval Yard Shooting

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Shooter wasn't muslim, does that mean 0 will call it an act of terror, and if so when? Or will he instead address the nation and tell us its important we don't blame all buddhists for this terrible act of workplace violence?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You knew it was only a matter of time! LOL

rrr_img_43755.jpg

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
lol, was listening to a local talk radio show this AM -- they pretty much said my thoughts.

If you have a mentally disturbed/deranged, or otherwise reality retarded idiot that plays violent video games, sure. That could set him off. As could violent TV. As could a LOT of things. But even so, the issue isn't with the TV shows or games -- the issue is the fact that hes mentally retarded.

We love to find SOMETHING to blame. Thank goodness we still have the first amendment and they can't do shit about video games. But, given that this is just a "really old 200+ year old document", I'm pretty sure lawmakers can spin something that would affect video games -- all in the name of "safety".

Drudge also has a really nice headline too...

"Mass shootings fuel fear, account for fraction of murders..."

Very true. There were 10 people murdered in Chicago from Sep 4 - Sep 11. Anyone hear about any of them? Doubt it. This doesn't diminish the tragedy or anything, but if anything I am getting REALLY sick and tired of all the media coverage on these as if they are "one-off events" that are "especially tragic" etc. Here's a news flash: A mass shooting in this manner where 12 people are murdered is no more tragic (note that I did not say it was not tragic) than the last month of murders in one city in America. There are truly one-off exceptions that make all of us truly cry inside and out, like Sandy Hook.. but for the most part, we need to stop giving so much media attention to these fucks. It's horrible. But 12 people murdered does not warrant this kind of coverage.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Very true. There were 10 people murdered in Chicago from Sep 4 - Sep 11. Anyone hear about any of them? Doubt it. This doesn't diminish the tragedy or anything, but if anything I am getting REALLY sick and tired of all the media coverage on these as if they are "one-off events" that are "especially tragic" etc. Here's a news flash: A mass shooting in this manner where 12 people are murdered is no more tragic (note that I did not say it was not tragic) than the last month of murders in one city in America. There are exceptions, like Sandy Hook.. but for the most part, we need to stop giving so much media attention to these fucks. It's horrible. But 12 people murdered does not warrant this kind of coverage.
It's easy to blame the media, but they are just catering to what people are interested it. I mean take this forum for example. Not a perfect subsection of the population, but the Navy Yard shooting is what gets a thread and discussion, and Colorado which is almost as devastating death toll-wise, more devastating from a destruction standpoint doesn't warrant its own thread. This is what people want to talk about, and it's not simply because it's what media shows.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The media has a job to do. Sure, they could cover those murders in Chicago (I'd actually prefer they didn't cover any murders), but to be honest outside of Chicago most people probably wouldn't care - sad truth - and even in Chicago people probably don't care. Something like a guy going on a mass murder spree is something sensational that doesn't happen that often (relatively), so the media will jump on it because they know everyone wants to see it.

It's shitty, and I blame the media for glorifying this stuff, but I think it's the nature of the business.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
It's easy to blame the media, but they are just catering to what people are interested it. I mean take this forum for example. Not a perfect subsection of the population, but the Navy Yard shooting is what gets a thread and discussion, and Colorado which is almost as devastating death toll-wise, more devastating from a destruction standpoint doesn't warrant its own thread. This is what people want to talk about, and it's not simply because it's what media shows.
people suck.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
The media has a certain amount of culpability. The reason we talk about this shooting and not Colorado is because there's really nothing to argue about in Colorado. It's not polarizing. Climate Change isn't big this season, so no one cares. Here we've got mentally disabled people, video games/TV, gun control, base security, sequesters, and now russians jumping in to have some trolling fun on the social network called the news.

The media knows these things, so "feeds" us what they know we'll bite into, instead of reporting the news we should be knowing. I'm not for censorship of any kind, but we certainly can't say that the media isonlyreacting to market forces. They're creating the demand.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I think it's funny that the only people talking about gun control in this thread are the people that are against it. Hell, tad started wringing his hands about it on the very first page.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
To be fair, every time there's a mass shooting Dems scramble to be the first one to call for more gun control. It's pretty /eyeroll and we all know it's coming. I'd say the majority of posters in General are gun supporters. so you have that numerical thing too...

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Eh, from what I have read so far, this guy used a shotgun and handguns that he took off of people he shot? I don't think there's a lot of fodder for the gun control argument here.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I am halfway across the world and went to bed when most of the US evening news were covering this story. Last I had heard, they were seaching for a 2nd suspect. Is that still the case?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Eh, from what I have read so far, this guy used a shotgun and handguns that he took off of people he shot? I don't think there's a lot of fodder for the gun control argument here.
Sure there is, considering on the news the police reported he had a "long gun" and that translated into instantly an AR-15. I heard them repeat multiple times yesterday that a shotgun was a rifle as well.

media-guide-firearms.jpg

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Did you see the list of victims? The youngest guy was 46 and over half of them over 55 it looks like. He didn't need rapid reloading, he didn't need a powerful rifle, he didn't need an automatic weapon, he only needed a pellet gun. Minor injuries to these men and women are a lot more drastic.