D.C. Naval Yard Shooting

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Considering the fact that people with security clearances are told not to draw attention to themselves in public there sure seem to be a lot of people who are anxious to brag about it on the internet.
Do what? Can't say I've ever heard that one before. Why would I care if anyone knows I have a clearance? Like I said, shit's not special.

The Special Forces (Operations) thing is stupid too. It's mostly an "I want to sound cool" thing, despite the fact that anyone who serves should feel proud of their service (unless they're Manning). Day to day, being in a Special Forces unit was just like any other job.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Awww how sad that your mother lied to you on why she can't be Facebook friends with you.
Snicker. I don't use facebook myself alas. I'm old fashioned and just use pidgin with my friends. Facebook always seems like a recipe for giving future employers a reason to look the other way. If they google my name, I would rather they see my papers and not that I "liked" Justin Biebers new song.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Snicker. I don't use facebook myself alas. I'm old fashioned and just use pidgin with my friends. Facebook always seems like a recipe for giving future employers a reason to look the other way. If they google my name, I would rather they see my papers and not that I "liked" Justin Biebers new song.
Good call on that. I don't do anything really with mine but it helps me keep in touch with people I used to be stationed with.

Seriously though there is no clearance that forbids you to have an online presence.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Good call on that. I don't do anything really with mine but it helps me keep in touch with people I used to be stationed with.

Seriously though there is no clearance that forbids you to have an online presence.
maybe you just don't have high enough clearance to be told not play candy crush with your 3rd grade teacher!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Maybe not, but there are clearly projects you can be a part of that either forbid or strongly encourage you not to.
To not talk about that specific project. That is the rule for all people. We all do that. Those of us with clearances and actively in a role that needs it you will see don't say what exactly we are doing. That is common sense and even if it wasn't we take yearly classes about how to not blab about what we are doing on Facebook.

You very specifically said she was told she can't have an online presence at all. That just isn't true.

khalid

Unelected Mod
You very specifically said she was told she can't have an online presence at all. That just isn't true.
Yes, that is what I said and it is true. We even had a back and forth about it because it sounded so absurd to me.

You simply don't know everything about all secret projects in the world. It isn't that big a deal.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yes, that is what I said and it is true. We even had a back and forth about it because it sounded so absurd to me.

You simply don't know everything about all secret projects in the world. It isn't that big a deal.
There isn't a security clearance that requires that is my point. There might be a project that does. It isn't the security clearance that told her not to have an online presence at all.

If you talked about in depth back and forth she would have told you to never ever mention it online also because by saying your mother can't talk about it because she is on a project so secret all China now needs to do is hack rerolled, get your IP, get your name, look up your mother's name, kidnap her, and interrogate her.

Keep your mom safe and don't mention her.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Keep your mom safe and don't mention her.
I just dropped it as a random anecdote and had no intention of making a big deal out of it. However, you seemed upset by it and so had to argue about it. Probably because you want to kidnap my mother
frown.png

Anyway, end of conversation.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just dropped it as a random anecdote and had no intention of making a big deal out of it. However, you seemed upset by it and so had to argue about it. Probably because you want to kidnap my mother
frown.png

Anyway, end of conversation.
I will pray the Russians or Chinese or Iran doesn't read this forum or you just killed your mother with your random anecdote.

Now you know how ridiculous of a statement it was to begin with, anyone in something so secret isn't allowed to share that information with their family.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Now you know how ridiculous of a statement it was to begin with, anyone in something so secret isn't allowed to share that information with their family.
You really are butthurt that someone has a more secret project than you, arent ya? Sorry my mommy outsecrets you.

Anyway, the facebook and social media ban is about making sure you don't accidentally let something slip. She mentioned no details about it to me other than that. So I think she is safe from kidnappers. Plus she is retiring in a few months, hopefully this post won't get her killed in the meantime.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Unfortunately, it turns out the original directive to disarm military members on non-war-zone bases was passed under the George H Bush administration.
It doesn't matter who passed it, it is a silly regulation.

After the Cole bombing, I had friends who wanted an explanation of how something like that happened. They figured Navy ships had gunners positioned around them in port or something. However, at least when I was in the Navy, the only person on the deck with a firearm was the officer of the deck, and his ammunition was required to be in a locked drawer. Granted he had the key, but it seemed silly that if someone charged up the ladder, he would have to unlock it and load his pistol before he could do anything (and probably get shot before he managed it).

Random anecdote alert: a_skeleton_03, please attack and attempt to prove this wrong.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It doesn't matter who passed it, it is a silly regulation.

After the Cole bombing, I had friends who wanted an explanation of how something like that happened. They figured Navy ships had gunners positioned around them in port or something. However, at least when I was in the Navy, the only person on the deck with a firearm was the officer of the deck, and his ammunition was required to be in a locked drawer. Granted he had the key, but it seemed silly that if someone charged up the ladder, he would have to unlock it and load his pistol before he could do anything (and probably get shot before he managed it).

Random anecdote alert: a_skeleton_03, please attack and attempt to prove this wrong.
No, you are right, what baffles me more is that is how the Beirut bombing happened also. The Marine wasn't allowed to have his .50 cal in condition 1 and he fumbled to get it into condition 1 and by then the truck was through the gates. It is appalling that physical security is so shoddy on the majority of our bases.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Some of the more partisan sites were trying to indirectly blame Bill Clinton for this shooting. Unfortunately, it turns out the original directive to disarm military members on non-war-zone bases was passed under the George H Bush administration. Gonna have to assume that is correct if even The Blaze and members of the Heritage Foundation are owning up to it.

The Blaze: THIS IS WHY MOST MILITARY PERSONNEL AREN?T ARMED ON MILITARY BASES ? AND IT?S NOT CLINTON?S FAULT
H W BUSH signed the whole "gun free zone" and schools thing to begin with. that's an easy matter of public record.

khalid

Unelected Mod
No, you are right, what baffles me more is that is how the Beirut bombing happened also. The Marine wasn't allowed to have his .50 cal in condition 1 and he fumbled to get it into condition 1 and by then the truck was through the gates. It is appalling that physical security is so shoddy on the majority of our bases.
Holy shit, didn't know that about the Beirut bombing. Just popped into the wiki and saw this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Be...essons_learned
Lessons learned[edit source | editbeta]
Shortly after the barracks bombing, President Ronald Reagan appointed a military fact-finding committee headed by retired Admiral Robert L. J. Long to investigate the bombing. The commission's report found senior military officials responsible for security lapses and blamed the military chain of command for the disaster.It suggested that there might have been many fewer deaths if the barracks guards had carried loaded weaponsand a barrier more substantial than the barbed wire the bomber drove over easily. The commission also noted that the "prevalent view" among U.S. commanders was that there was a direct link between the navy shelling of the Muslims at Suq-al-Garb and the truck bomb attack.
Lessons learned my ass. If they were lessons learned, we still wouldn't have guards on posts with unloaded or unready firearms.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Quoting this before it gets 10 edits.
you should pick something i'm actually wrong about to attempt to be all "gotcha" on.

gun free zones act of 1990

Gun Free School Zones--The Oxymoron Of Our Age

when the gun control lobby's grip on this nation's social consciousness was at its peak, anti-gun politicians were able to convince President George H. W. Bush to sign the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 into law on November 29, 1990. Under the guise of the politically-correct concept of protecting this nation's children from the terrible reality of gun violence, the gun control lobby was able to convince the Legislative branch of our federal government that enacting such a law would be taking a step in the right direction against violent crime, particularly in a school setting.
You should also take a look at the legal argument that allowed a federal ban on guns to happen, it was enacted via the federal governments interpretation of the commerce clause.

The basic "legal" argument was that guns on school property would make for a nervous study environment, and if students where too nervous to study it would effect commerce, and because the federal government claims to be able to regulated anything pertaining to commerce this is what allowed the law.(something like that anyways I may not have remembered it perfectly)

justice thomas did note that such thinking in the interpretation of the commerce clause would give the federal government the legal justification to regulate anything in reality because metaphysically speaking EVERYTHING effects commerce.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
you should pick something i'm actually wrong about to attempt to be all "gotcha" on.

gun free zones act of 1990

Gun Free School Zones--The Oxymoron Of Our Age
You were right, I just usually expect 10 edits from you anyways is all.

khalid - Yeah we have never learned our lesson on security. It is laughable at how close I was to George W. with a large bag of tools under no supervision and they never had time to take me through the metal detector. All because it was on base and I was wearing a uniform. I was probably 10 yards from him with nothing between us but a window and some thin drapes.