Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think the difficulty jump from the first four worlds to World 5 indicates missing content. Reminds me of things like Fable and Secret of Mana where gear/enemy levels just take a quantum leap forward halfway through the game, as if the middle third of the game is missing.

Does the difficulty jump again from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7? Just wondering what I'm in for if I push my way to the end.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the difficulty jump from the first four worlds to World 5 indicates missing content. Reminds me of things like Fable and Secret of Mana where gear/enemy levels just take a quantum leap forward halfway through the game, as if the middle third of the game is missing.

Does the difficulty jump again from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7? Just wondering what I'm in for if I push my way to the end.
Only difficulty bump I noticed was the obvious fact that CR6 becomes CR5 and the new CR6 is a massive jump all the way to 4000. Stupidly, the new CR6 is still rank 4-5 gear instead of being all rank 5 (the chances of R5 are probably higher, but it's still retarded). That said, CR6 (4000) is still quite doable on a lot of missions even if your gear is only around 3200, especially anything that ends with one of the bosses who don't actually fight back. I rarely bother though, since Catti only cares about set items that drop in the very first mission in the game.

Also, the evil eye fight is straight up bullshit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Only difficulty bump I noticed was the obvious fact that CR6 becomes CR5 and the new CR6 is a massive jump all the way to 4000. Stupidly, the new CR6 is still rank 4-5 gear instead of being all rank 5 (the chances of R5 are probably higher, but it's still retarded). That said, CR6 (4000) is still quite doable on a lot of missions even if your gear is only around 3200, especially anything that ends with one of the bosses who don't actually fight back. I rarely bother though, since Catti only cares about set items that drop in the very first mission in the game.

Also, the evil eye fight is straight up bullshit.

I'm still playing on CR1 as Catti. Did the first 3 worlds with Drizzt and then the 4th and 5th with Catti. I tried the "farm two chests at the beginning of level 1 on C6" strat but it didn't let me keep any loot after exiting out, just the gold/ores. 5th world has been rough, not looking forward to the evil eye in world 6.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried the "farm two chests at the beginning of level 1 on C6" strat but it didn't let me keep any loot after exiting out, just the gold/ores.
Not sure why that would be, still worked fine for me yesterday when I was trying to decide whether repeatedly farming the bonus boss in Act I for a guaranteed epic and returning to camp was better than killing the Act III boss over and over for his 6 drops. One guaranteed epic + whatever comes out of the other chests that you accumulate until you decide to finish the mission and collect it all vs. six drops from final boss which are like 90% white/green/blue even with two rarity bonuses from skipping the rests, in my experience.

Eventually I decided the correct answer was neither. Whatever interest I had in the game went right out the window when faced with the prospect of only being able to get useful gear by farming the first mission in the game over and over and over and over.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
On PC at least, bringing items from a mission you "Returned to Camp" from does still work.

The fastest way to farm epic items is in the mission "Order Of The One Light", thats the middle mission in the Lich hub. Run past the first room with enemies, go right, then jump over the wood/raft bridge thing to the left. Thats where the second enemy encounter is. Defeating these is necessary to proceed and unlock the first short rest. Take the rest, don't skip it. Run through the tunnel ahead and to the left - there will be trolls after you destroy urns, so dont. Theres a mini boss, a wraith, to the right - this is also the optional - and not where you want to go. You want to go up the slope to an open space with dark dwarves.

There is one named duergar caster here called "Orun Bentblade". That's the target. Kill him. Die. Respawn at the short rest spot 200 feet back, run up to the room again and Orun Bentblade will be there as well. It's a 100% epic item drop and takes about a Minute to run up, kill, die and respawn.

Gather as many epics as you like. Leave the mission, do whatever other mission (Goblin Mage Boss is fastest) on whatever difficulty and get the items from the earlier mission after completion.

Ive done this for Drizzt and Bruenor for about an hour each and they're decked out in Level 4 and 5 epics and I can pretty much solo all missions on the second highest difficulty. Seeing all the maps, bosses and item art was enjoyable.

1625003094999.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished this. The final chapter (7) really does feel like it was supposed to be a DLC.

-The Beholder (Chapter 6 boss) is much harder than anything else in the game and feels like a final boss.
-Chapter 7 is way off on the side of the map, unlike the other chapters all following a conga line.
-Chapter 7's production values seem a lot higher than the rest of the game. It's got nice cutscenes, looks gorgeous, etc.
-Chapter 7's boss (Icewind itself) is cool enough to be a selling point for a DLC.
-The difficulty isn't really any worse than Chapter 6.

So final thoughts...I really wanted to like this, but it just isn't worth getting/playing. The gameplay loop is ultra-repetitive, it's too short, and it feels unfinished. I wish I'd spent this time on RE8 instead, which is what I'm playing now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I cannot...

Slathering Other Joe in green boogers while he went "I'm a Woodland Ranger" is about right for this game. I couldn't believe how completely ass-ugly the armor was half the time. You'd get an upgrade and be excited to check it out, only to find out that it made you look like you were covered in puke.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone still playing? Patched to greatness yet?

Just started this and haven't run into a lot of the issues people were having.

Been a fun time playing with friends, but wouldn't rate it very high as a solo game or with randos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user