Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So I leveled to 10 and got some marginally better gear and now the 1250 stuff is trivial as the 1000 was before. They have some sort of insane exponential algorithm built on top of a linear gear progression such that if you are on one side of the delta it's trivial and if you are on the other it's dick-punchingly hard.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The monsters attack much more frequently on the higher difficulties, their damage and survivability obviously too

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Level is pretty irrelevant, aside from the bonuses you get from stats and feats. Maybe moves, but personally I regret buying the one move that I did buy for Catti so far. I have to go out of my way not to use it because it turned my basic LB melee into a slower kick that now also reduces max stamina.

It's all about gear, and the utterly retarded thing about progression is that you have to have good gear to get good gear. Not great gear, just minor upgrades and sidegrades 99% of the time. From level 8 on I was doing CR5 (2300) because I seeded the character with just enough L4-5 items that I could keep getting more of them. Still no way to get any higher though, so CR6 is completely out of reach. I can kill the trash, but the elites/bosses turn into ridiculous damage sponges, and one hit from anything is instant death.

Seeing more and more things that would really bug me if I had any intention of playing the game long-term. Like the loot system is super basic. Upgrading items gives a small % increase over the base stats; even upgrading it all the way (ungodly expensive for anything past green or blue) still falls well short of just finding a replacement which is +1 item level. You can't modify anything else besides the skin (read: tint), so no swapping stats or anything like that. If you wanted max crit gear you'd have to pray to RNGesus that everything drops at max item level and rolled perfectly.

The UI is rather shit too. There's no 'mark as junk' or any other way to quickly sell loot. You sell each item one at a item by holding down a button for a few seconds. Clearing out a cluttered inventory is tedious as fuck. There doesn't seem to be any alternative to just vendoring shit either. Given the insane amount of crystals you need to upgrade higher tier items I'm rather shocked that there's no way to break items down into crystals. Feels like there will be a point where gold just doesn't really matter anymore so that's a rather glaring omission.

The monsters attack much more frequently on the higher difficulties,
Definitely not seeing this. Half (or more) of the mobs in any given encounter stand there doing nothing, and the rest seem the same as always. Plus any sort of height advantage completely shuts off the AI. It's not even just perching on a cliff, I see it happen a lot when I just back up a slope a little.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
No. It goes like this:

1. Set mission 1 act 1 to CR6.
2. Enter the portal.
3. Run to the first chest on the right, grab the gold. Go back past the flame sword to refresh warmth buff and run to the item chest up the slope to the left side. Loot that too, then immediately exit to camp.
4. Repeat 1-3 until you have drops for at least 5 or 6 of the gear slots. Epic or legendary weapon ideally too.
5. Set the map to CR1 and complete it normally.
6. Profit. All the drops you got at CR6 will remain L4-5 when you open the reward chest.

It's an exploit of course. The game says it's going to flush whatever loot you got when you exit to camp, but it actually saves everything.

Catti-Brie firing into the ground is probably a bug too, but solo game balance is so ridiculously broken in favor of the enemies that I have no idea how you'd progress without using it. Playing normally on CR1, even the boss of M1A2 is already fucking insane. The other pro for playing the game with just bow attacks is you don't really notice how shitty the melee combat is. Lock-on camera angle and FOV change was an instant NOPE when I tried Drizzt.

So, archer is the chosen one then? I was going to go with Drizzt. That's alright, archer was probably my second choice.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What kind of weapons can I apply the preorder skins to?

Do does "frenzy" do exactly? Or Stalwart or precision strikes? I have a general idea but...
any weapon that allows you to change it's color will allow you to put a pre-order skin on it. i initially thought it was based on quality (so no whites, but greens and above) but i ran into some green and blue gear that you couldn't change the color on either, so i don't know what it is specifically.

i also have no concrete idea on stuff like frenzy. i initially thought it was attack speed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. maybe it helps with ultimate generation? i wish there was a description of what those things do.

Edit: i guess precision strike increases crit chance (but no idea on how much). frenzy deals increased damage (i don't know how that differs from powerful strikes). still no idea about stalwart

Jozu

I give you guys credit for playing this, as I couldnt get in more than 15 minutes.

Word on the street is this game is a top 10 bad game of all time type bad.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's definitely not that bad. It's definitely not a great game, but based on what I've played of both, I look at it similarly to PSO2:NG.

Both games saw a bunch of hype, I figured I'd give it a shot for free, and both had janky ass movement and camera shit that made me just not want to play. This one has quite a few bugs, but I've played worse.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's definitely not that bad. It's definitely not a great game, but based on what I've played of both, I look at it similarly to PSO2:NG.

Check out the asshurt reviews Vermintide 2 got on game pass compared to steam too.

Caliane

people bought this, after all the reviews were "this game is one of the worst games of all time"?

oh, gamepass. I got you. still aint doing it..

• 1Like

j00t

for what it's worth i've really enjoyed wulfgar. catti-brie is probably cheat mode, but at higher levels wulfgar just deletes enemies. of course plenty of enemies just one shot anyone and everyone so staying at range is safer

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone actually playing as the d0rf in this mess?

I can't believe I'm gonna play this instead of getting back to Resident Evil 8. Well, it is what it ees, as Macho Man used to say

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I've seen one bug in this with a loading screen after a boss wipe with a pug, and one in my whole play through of cyberpunk. Yet others say these games are literally and completely unplayable. Maybe I'm super lucky, or careful... or I dunno.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've seen one bug in this with a loading screen after a boss wipe with a pug, and one in my whole play through or cyberpunk. Yet others say these games are literally and completely unplayable. Maybe I'm super lucky, or careful... or I dunno.

Yeah, I played through Assassin's Creed Unity at a time when everyone and their mother was panning the game as a glitch-filled disaster, and I think I maybe encountered two glitches in the entire 20 hours or so I was playing it. Had a great time with it, ranked it right up there with AC2 and AC4.

• 1Like

j00t

Anyone actually playing as the d0rf in this mess?

I can't believe I'm gonna play this instead of getting back to Resident Evil 8. Well, it is what it ees, as Macho Man used to say
I have a regular party and my friend is having a good time as the dwarf. He's not a heavy damage dealer but he's pretty strong support. Gives party wide damage reduction, has a small aoe health Regen, can give the party fire damage.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If this game is considered "decent" enough we have officially flushed this God forsaken industry down the toilet and I need to find a new hobby.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

If this game is considered "decent" enough we have officially flushed this God forsaken industry down the toilet and I need to find a new hobby.
as it turns out, the gaming industry has always been like this. a couple of undeniably amazing works of art scattered throughout a sea of mediocrity. we're just older now and have matured in our tastes so we notice it more.

• 2Like

Vorph

If this game gets a significant patch or two in the next couple weeks it might approach the level of "mediocrity". Right now, though? It's a steaming turd floating in the sea.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
as it turns out, the gaming industry has always been like this. a couple of undeniably amazing works of art scattered throughout a sea of mediocrity. we're just older now and have matured in our tastes so we notice it more.
True.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Played it for 40 minutes, finished the first level, had to take a break because nausea. Not sure what caused the nausea, but it set in when I found myself just collecting endless shit off the ground between fights.

I sniped the level boss down without ever engaging it or getting attacked back.

I tried doing the trick where you play the first level on difficulty 6 and grab the two chests at the beginning over and over, but it only half-worked. It looks like I brought the gold/crystals with me but equipment was left behind when I exited out of the stage.

Even with my high tolerance for glitches, this is pretty bad. At least it seems to be playable. I will probably take a stab at playing the rest and see if I make it. I somehow beat Lichdom: Battlemage and this reminds me a LOT of that turd. Good ideas, bad execution.