Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So killed the Beholder and unlocked the Icewind zone. It feels like the Icewind area was meant to be DLC. Not only is it placed oddly, but the Beholder felt like the actual end of the game AND there are types of monsters that are new to the Icewind zone (gnolls).

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
If this game is considered "decent" enough we have officially flushed this God forsaken industry down the toilet and I need to find a new hobby.
Do you only play game of the year quality games? Do you know how many shit tier games come out constantly? Not everything can be a diamond. This is practically free if someone has Game Pass. It is entertaining for that price, if only for the laughs alone. Yea no one should pay $40 for it, but I doubt many are, so whatever.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Do you only play game of the year quality games? Do you know how many shit tier games come out constantly? Not everything can be a diamond. This is practically free if someone has Game Pass. It is entertaining for that price, if only for the laughs alone. Yea no one should pay $40 for it, but I doubt many are, so whatever.

Your bar is set pretty low. Expecting functional AI and a level of quality for game is a not a bad thing. They all don't have to be God of War...but goddam man. No one should pay for this mess.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm seeing a really high fail rate on pubs man, and by that I mean having to do so much rezzing it makes it take 2-3x as long for me to finish things. Maybe even this AI is too much for the new generation aka retards.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, my brief experience with the game I wrote about the other day, but essentially enemies (mostly bosses) that have literally zero frames to their move that one shots you.

I don't know what you're supposed to do in that situation? Hell, we had the one boss in the 2nd level who would just warp behind us and one shot us over and over. Blaming players and not the bad coding for that is a weird flex.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I mean, my brief experience with the game I wrote about the other day, but essentially enemies (mostly bosses) that have literally zero frames to their move that one shots you.

I don't know what you're supposed to do in that situation? Hell, we had the one boss in the 2nd level who would just warp behind us and one shot us over and over. Blaming players and not the bad coding for that is a weird flex.
yes that's basically it. it's not that it's "hard" it's that there's no telegraphing insta-kill moves. and it's not even bosses... those stupid flying wizards that instantly teleport away while you are in mid-attack insta kill you as well.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

It's no excuse when the entire industry is pushing subscription. If this is the way they want to continue to push, we are seeing the quality of games coming out within the subscription - and it's pretty shit up to date. And as Warrik said, we are talking about a game which has a fucking broken Z-Axis.... Seriously.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The floating dudes teleporting is intentional and I've learned to predict their movements for the most part.

Haven't had the bosses warp on me just yet, which one?

I'd note that I'm going down between 0-1 times with others going down 5-11 times consistently on the hard levels. So it has to be a me vs them thing.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The floating dudes teleporting is intentional and I've learned to predict their movements for the most part.

Haven't had the bosses warp on me just yet, which one?

I'd note that I'm going down between 0-1 times with others going down 5-11 times consistently on the hard levels. So it has to be a me vs them thing.

Well, yeah, of course they're dying more. They got the buggy version of the game and you have an advantage since you never get any bugs.

Where can I get me some of them bug free versions of Cyberpunk and this steaming pile?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm seeing a really high fail rate on pubs man, and by that I mean having to do so much rezzing it makes it take 2-3x as long for me to finish things. Maybe even this AI is too much for the new generation aka retards.

I'm just solo-playing and beat world 1-1 easily with the archer. Then I switched to Drizzt and did world 1-1 again and beat it even more easily with him. I liked playing as him so much that I stuck with him for 1-2 and 1-3. I'm gonna keep playing as him unless the game forces me to go back to archer cheesing.

I particularly like how when Drizzt is attacking a foe from behind all of the hits are critical, likely because backstab.

Edit: Turns out all of the characters get critical hits from behind. Didn't realize this with the archer because 99% of her attacks are to the front of things.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
It's a decent game. People just like to shit on things. It's not great, but it's not piss poor either - just like Cyberpunk. "Play it or leave it" just turned into "Play it or shit all over it online 24/7."

Im at 30 hours played without a single crash or performance issue. That's more than most AAA games can muster at release. I have Drizzt at 11 and Bruenor at 10. I gave up on Drizzt because everything was one-shotting him on higher CRs. Bruenor holds up much better plus his Anvil + Whirlwind is strong against groups and bosses.

If the people playing this still wonder about what buffs and debuffs do: Status Effects - Dark Alliance

• 2Moron
  • 2Like
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 4 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't call a game "decent" when the AI ranges from non-existent to piss-poor. I have Catti at 20 and have just about finished the story. ~50% of enemies killed don't even react to my presence. Another 30% of them react, but only move around without actually attacking. The remaining few that actually do something can usually one-shot me if I let them get close.

I'm not talking about shooting from high ground or across a gap where there's no AI reaction at all, just running up to the mobs and shooting them in the face feet. It's like if Cyberpunk's police "AI" was the entire game.

The lack of QOL features really starts to grate on you after a while too. Stuff like how every non-boss mission has a stat shrine, but when you realize you're short a couple points there's no way to see on the map which ones you missed. Or not being able to respec, or even disable the shitty moves you have to buy on the way to the tiny handful of ones that are actually useable.

And speaking of moves, I challenge anyone to successfully fire 10 aimed+charged shots in a row with Catti without having her either fail to start the charge shot or do a jump shot or quick triple shot instead. The controls are just broken and don't correctly respond to your inputs, especially if you're moving around (bosses do generally fight back).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm just solo-playing and beat world 1-1 easily with the archer. Then I switched to Drizzt and did world 1-1 again and beat it even more easily with him. I liked playing as him so much that I stuck with him for 1-2 and 1-3. I'm gonna keep playing as him unless the game forces me to go back to archer cheesing.

I particularly like how when Drizzt is attacking a foe from behind all of the hits are critical, likely because backstab.
Any attack from behind on any character is an autocrit. There is an actual backstab mechanic but it is near impossible to trigger.

Enemies have a stamina bar as well, and when it drains you can do a backstab on them from behind. The problem is the time frame is too short and if they take any damage the backstab prompt goes away. And since we can't see the enemies stamina bar the prompt basically shows up at random and if you are mid attack it just sort of immediately goes away.

You can pretty reliably get it to go off if you just parry spam but that makes the fights go SO SLOWLY

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's a decent game. People just like to shit on things. It's not great, but it's not piss poor either - just like Cyberpunk. "Play it or leave it" just turned into "Play it or shit all over it online 24/7."

Im at 30 hours played without a single crash or performance issue. That's more than most AAA games can muster at release. I have Drizzt at 11 and Bruenor at 10. I gave up on Drizzt because everything was one-shotting him on higher CRs. Bruenor holds up much better plus his Anvil + Whirlwind is strong against groups and bosses.

If the people playing this still wonder about what buffs and debuffs do: Status Effects - Dark Alliance

I'm maining Drizzt now in the early worlds. Should I just switch to the archer so she can start accumulating equipment? I'm doing fine with Drizzt but I've also read that the archer is best for beating the game and that meleers have a very hard time later on. If I use Drizzt until I'm forced not to, I'll be jumping back to the archer with very little equipment.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Driz has an unblocked knock down and a reliable way to apply aoe curse (50% damage increase debuff). I think gold and crystals are cross character.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
User reviews are funny for this game. I'll summarize the two types:

1-4 star ratings mostly address the game and it being unplayable garbage, or playable garbage, to hoping/wishing there are future patches that help fix the garbage because it could be fun but is garbage.

5 star ratings: the PEOPLE giving low ratings are bad PEOPLE and those PEOPLE are just mad and loser PEOPLE because you need to learn to play PEOPLE because those PEOPLE are obviously just trolls and they're just down-rating the game because they're no good very bad PEOPLE!!! (with a lot of spelling mistakes as they claim people giving low ratings are dumb)

Not a lot of 5 star ratings that even address the quality of the game! Why is that? I know, I know, because just like in this thread there are accusations anyone critical just wants to shit on anything and everything for its own sake. Industry full of gamer nerds hotly anticipating a D&D game.... who all secretly want any and all games, especially D&D games to fail....

Can't explain that!

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
While I enjoyed World 1, I'm on World 5 now (out of 7, it looks like) and I've got two major issues:

A) What you see in World 1 is basically THE ENTIRE GAME. It's just room after room fighting the same goblins/ogres/trolls and collecting the same drops. The only difference from level to level is the graphics (which they did a great job with, though the art design is wasted on this game). Once you've played World 1, you've seen it all, pretty much. So by the time I reached World 5 I was pretty tired of it.

B) The difficulty absolutely skyrockets in World 5 compared to the previous ones, and enemies suddenly take massive amounts of hits. I'll probably have to multiplayer it for the last 3 worlds. But yeah, the game is so redundant and boring that I'll have to make myself do it.

TL;DR: I liked it at first but now after getting into it more, it's mediocre AF and I can't recommend it.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

• 2Worf