Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Ugh. I admit I was into those books in high school. Then it became more of a guilty pleasure. Then not so much of a pleasure by the time I quit (1000 Orcs or somewhere along there). Now? Ugh.

Yeah, that was a low point for me as well for those books but it starts to pick up again around the Neverwinter series. I thought Gauntylrim was one of his better books in fact. But yeah it is kind of like the Linkin Park of fantasy series at this point. Not something you'd ever want to admit to liking.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ugh. I admit I was into those books in high school. Then it became more of a guilty pleasure. Then not so much of a pleasure by the time I quit (1000 Orcs or somewhere along there). Now? Ugh.
Ha, exact same, I bailed when I figured out no one will ever really be in danger. I burned through the series up to that point about 6 years ago, literally couldn't put them down and loved every second of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Worst trailer i ever seen in my life, i wonder if Spawn the movie CGI looks less ugly than this. Not sure yet. Low blood music too.
It's sad because DA games was very good.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
1000 orcs is where I quit as well. That book still sits unread and unopened on my shelf. Was a good read up to a few books prior to that one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That trailer looks like an art undergrad learned how to attach cameras to random things in 3dsmax and went ham with it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
The trailer wouldn't be that horrible if they didn't decide to crank the FoV. It works in fps, but trying to watch it in third person looks so fucking weird.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The first few Forgotten Realms book, of which the Drizzt / Icewind Dale bunch are included, were very magic-lite. The lack of class diversity was pretty annoying in that the Companions included a human barbarian fighter, a dwarf fighter, a human fighter who used a bow, and a Dark Elf ranger.

Later they had Cattie-Brie start to learn magic, but the whole deal was very martial-focused.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The first few Forgotten Realms book, of which the Drizzt / Icewind Dale bunch are included, were very magic-lite. The lack of class diversity was pretty annoying in that the Companions included a human barbarian fighter, a dwarf fighter, a human fighter who used a bow, and a Dark Elf ranger.

Later they had Cattie-Brie start to learn magic, but the whole deal was very martial-focused.
i would argue that lack of magical ability in the party make-up being boring/annoying is probably due to a lack of creativity on the writer. i mean, the fellowship of the ring only had 1 part time magic user that tried his best to not actually use any magic. there were magical items, and an elf that was fundamentally magic in nature (walking on snow, etc) but outside of a couple moments here and there, there was no magic being used.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a feeling it's going to be a Vermintide 2 knockoff, just from the "Slay together" comment. Some of the characters are direct arch-type matchups, be interesting to see.

Yeah getting a Vermintide vibe as well. Which is a good thing if well done. Not many games like it.

Caliane

i would argue that lack of magical ability in the party make-up being boring/annoying is probably due to a lack of creativity on the writer. i mean, the fellowship of the ring only had 1 part time magic user that tried his best to not actually use any magic. there were magical items, and an elf that was fundamentally magic in nature (walking on snow, etc) but outside of a couple moments here and there, there was no magic being used.
sortof. but a main character with magic, has the problem of being a superhero in the world. Conan, Solomon Kane, and so on. humans vs supernatural threats, wizards. the Strength of steel over overwhelming magic is an often repeated trend. Even starwars, the Sith are wizards, using force lightning, while the Jedi, rely on martial prowess far more. The guy with magic, is never the underdog. If you have magic, its never about grit, steeling yourself, or rising up to the challenge, its always just about who has more superpowers.
you'll probably notice the vast majority of protagonist wizards, are incompetent at being wizards.

Magic also has the problem of generally being seen as innately evil. Either as a subversion of "natural law", and everything its does is innately, "unnatural", or like in DnD where half the spells are mindcontrol or necromancy, you have to question the ethics of the person learning them.. this makes magic use more then domain of villains.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
R.A. Salvatore writes good fight scenes, don't get me wrong. But after a hundred fight scenes, they all start to feel the same.

Didn't mind the lack of class diversity. If you want a little more diverse party, the Cleric Quintet had it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
R.A. Salvatore writes good fight scenes, don't get me wrong. But after a hundred fight scenes, they all start to feel the same.

Didn't mind the lack of class diversity. If you want a little more diverse party, the Cleric Quintet had it.
Cleric quintet, along with the Jarlaxle/Enteri books are some of his best imo. The newest Drizzt books read like he's given up on life and is just trying to work out whatever contract obligations he has.

• 1Truth!

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Class diversity isn't a huge issue if the narrative is suited to it, but in terms of making archetypes that appeal to all sorts of gamers its not exactly great.

For example: one reason why I can never get into many Korean/Chinese MMOs is their tendency to make magic-using characters be chicks with giant boobs and skimpy outfits. I never really got into Dark Souls or Witcher because of their relatively low-magic setting.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You did not see a thread for this on the first page of this subforum with the same name as this thread? I don't believe you. I bet you just wanted the people to see that horrible trailer again.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
You did not see a thread for this on the first page of this subforum with the same name as this thread? I don't believe you. I bet you just wanted the people to see that horrible trailer again.
honestly i did not, i did a subject search for Dark Alliance and there was nothing.
Apologies, if possible Mods please remove thread.

elidib

Vyemm Raider

MUCH better than the original trailer, this one actually makes the game look like something decent.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>

MUCH better than the original trailer, this one actually makes the game look like something decent.
My face watching this
Cringe Reaction GIF
gameplay looked ok but the overall presentation was oof.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users