Dark Souls 2

Szlia

I suspect the point of this beta phase is to test the network infrastructure, so the ability of the testers is irrelevant. Testing the actual gameplay and balance was/is probably done in house or with, as you suggested, a few handpicked elite players (most likely all of them from Japan).

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the input Szlia, you make a good point and I do agree now that I see it from that perspective.

I was never concerned that the game wasn't going to be tested properly, From Software has far too high of a set of standards and their track record speaks for itself so it was more of me interpreting their testing as very unusual, not incompetent.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh, if there was any type of screening process like that, I'm pretty sure with 4x DS and 6x DeS platinums I'd be on the list. ^_^

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm sticking to my original opinion that an open beta where you're banned if you die is optimal.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While not serious, I think it'd be a terrible idea. Dark Souls(and Demon Souls) are games where you're supposed to die. It's literally the only way to learn how to do things, they didn't design it so you can keep trying with infinite regen/low damage per hit type of things. Regardless of how good you are at the previous games, they're still largely games of knowledge and memory, where knowing the patterns, the locations and every little thing is more important than actually playing well. Plus obviously it's a terrible idea to retain your testers and test load/network shit.

Not a big problem to me though, I wouldn't play the game more than like 3mins, I'd wait until the full thing. Not that I'd get invited since I didn't register to anything, unless they do absolutely random invites but that would be weird.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You're right, it's a pretty dumb idea. You'd have people downloading 10GB of data off your servers and then dying in 2 minutes.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Heh, if there was any type of screening process like that, I'm pretty sure with 4x DS and 6x DeS platinums I'd be on the list. ^_^
I don't understand this, you've beat demon's souls 100% 6 times on different accounts? and dark souls 4x on the same thing?
wat.

Or you simply beat the game 6x?

Either way, 100% isn't hard by any means, it just takes time to commit to grinding all the weapons and shit.

Vaclav

Platinum is 100% trophies on PS3 - and yes, complete 100% 4x and 6x respectively... And while I agree it's more time consuming than difficult, it involves a depth that's beyond "normal" folk to play through it quite that many times. Hell, PS3 trophies still has a single plat for under 20% of people last I checked.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I have to ask... why? Knight's Honor alone is incredibly tedious, I'd never, ever want to do this 4x

I mean.. if you enjoy the game, you enjoy the game, but damn.. I'd never want to do that achievement multiple times. Once was enough

Vaclav

I come back to each every 3 months or so and platinum it on a new account over like a week - just part of my rotation of things to do. Heh. I honestly don't find Knight's too bad besides Seath's tailcut that's the hardest one for me generally. At least since they upped the droprate on the seneschal guys for their spear doo-hickey. Only did one Platinum of Dark before they adjusted the drop on it I think.

And DeS is one of those ones that becomes trivial with multiple copies and accounts thanks to trading. I think DeS I can run in ~10 hrs tops (2 play sessions I know I did, I just forget how long those play sessions were - normal ones are in the 5 hr range for my schedule though) now that I've got it really down for a full Platinum since I just trade the rare stones over from my other account that I farmed a bazillion Pure stones on in the past. (Seriously spent like 3 weeks farming Pure Bladestones - got I think 8 legit? Still should have a few on that save at this point)

Vorph

38QQ-8DNE-97AA is the PSN code for beta access today. Still working right now.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
errr is there a check to see if your psn account is beta flagged? or is it just a single client that anyone can access after downloading?

Vorph

One code, good for 90k uses I believe. There's no account flag, other than what happens when you enter the code and download the network test client.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
nevermind, I guess it's the first 90,000 people? Got my code put in. (in the playstation online store, I'll have to download it to my ps3 later)

Vaclav

And just checked the hours on the test - am I reading it right - Sunday from 2-5am for us EST folks? Ouch... gonna be a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

Vorph

Yeah, this test seems to be catering to the EU crowd. Not only is the time much more friendly to them, but also all PSN+ EU subscribers get access without having to enter any code at all.