Dark Souls 2

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, this test seems to be catering to the EU crowd. Not only is the time much more friendly to them, but also all PSN+ EU subscribers get access without having to enter any code at all.
We do?

I tried the code now, didn't work, but also didn't see banners or the likes for the Dark Souls 2 beta on the PSN+ page.

EDIT: It was under the Exclusives tab. Downloading now (only 1.6 gigs).

-You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Vorph again- Wouldn't have looked unless you said that, so thanks
smile.png

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
So can I get some relay from those who have tested it? Thoughts?

edit: Oh shit! Code still works, I thought for sure they would all be gone. I'm in. Fuck yeah, thanks info Vorph!

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Hmm...Dark Souls on Steam or a new pair of khaki's. Also, how's the story in the first one? I tend to lose interest in RPG's when the story is weak and it feels like I'm just running around with no goal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The story is strong but it's very subtle. You'll probably be feeling like you're running around with no goal unless you look really hard for the goal.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
In comparison with Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls games? I stopped playing Skyrim after about 20 hours or so, and I've never finished any of the others.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Skyrim basically points you in the exact direction you need to go. Dark Souls just drops you off in the middle of nowhere with no explanation to anything.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Skyrim has a reliable breadcrumb trail, that you can totally ignore if you want. Dark Souls has zero trail and just "well, if you go up and ring a bell, and then down and ring a bell... something happens?" as the sole narrative. One of the few games where the story exists at the leisure of the player, not the player existing at the leisure of the story.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yeap, unless you make an active effort to find the story you'll just wind up beating the game having no fucking clue what just happened.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Hmm, not too sure how I feel about that. Gameplay looks great, but I might need more of an incentive to see everything through. I mean, that's what I look for in MMO's, but in single player games it starts to drag after a while.

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
The story is very mature, not in a sexual way though. When you explore the levels there is deep mystery and a sense of awe for the environments. You don't get that in a game that tells you to go collect bear asses, putting something like that in Dark Souls would ruin it entirely, trust me. Quit being a pussy and go buy it and join the sensation.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmm, not too sure how I feel about that. Gameplay looks great, but I might need more of an incentive to see everything through. I mean, that's what I look for in MMO's, but in single player games it starts to drag after a while.
The difficulty of the game, the variety of the encounters and environments, the occasional multiplayer surprise invasion (unless you decide to avoid such things), and the fact that the world is actually quite small (while not feeling small) prevents the game from dragging.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
What are your favorite RPGs?
I think I'm more inclined towards Bioware's style of single player RPGs. A strong (though somewhat linear) story and interesting characters, but still quite a bit of freedom to play it your way.

KOTOR would probably be my favorite of all time followed by Witcher 1 & 2, Mass Effect, then Dragon Age. I thought Fallout 3 was good, but still seemed to suffer from the same problems I have with Elder Scrolls to a lesser extent. It feels like it wants to be an online/multiplayer game, but then I'm the only one playing it. I think they'd be a lot more entertaining with 1 or 2 other people.

Szlia

This serie is very unique and can only be compared to previous From Software games (King's Field, Shadow Tower), so I think it's worth trying to see if you enjoy it or not. Considering the game is no longer full price, I doubt you will not get your money's worth of entertainment even if you decide to stop mid way through.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What are your favorite RPGs?
The only one's I actually bothered to replay so far were Baldur's Gate and the Northland Trilogy.

Replay as in actually reinstall after a while and play again, not just play a second time right after finishing it like Dark Souls.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The only one's I actually bothered to replay so far were Baldur's Gate and the Northland Trilogy.

Replay as in actually reinstall after a while and play again, not just play a second time right after finishing it like Dark Souls.
Is this part of the northland trilogy?:
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny on Steam

eVasiege, dark souls is such a unique game that it's difficult to predict whether you'd like it. It's really not like Kotor or Elder Scrolls games. You're thrown into a world without knowing why you're there and you have to progress against enemies that will mutilate you until you climb the learning curve. If this sounds good then play it, otherwise you probably won't like it.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Let me add that climbing the learning curve and finally winning is the most rewarding gaming experience I have ever had.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Buy the game.

I'm a PC RPG player primarily. Console RPGs just have no interest to me anymore(even though I grew up playing Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy on NES, I dont care at all about Final Fantasy XXVII or whatever), I still play through Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 about every other year, and I LOVED Dark Souls. In fact, it's the only game I've bought on my 360 outside of sports games(which don't exist on PC) in the last 2 or 3 years. It's one of my top 10 favorite games of all time.

Dark Souls gave me a feeling of awe and wonderment that I haven't felt since my early days of RPG/adventure gaming back in the 80s. Not that they are similar in style at all, but it brought back similar feelings like the first time I ever saw a Kings Quest game, or a gold-box SSI D&D game, or Ultima Underwold. Just something totally new, fresh, and amazing.