Dark Souls 2

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really wish From would just make King's Field V instead of more Dark Souls after this. I could accept their newer design a lot easier if I was playing a King's Field game instead of the constant "WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING WITH SHIT THAT WAS FINE IN DEMON'S SOULS" thought running through my head when I play Dark Souls.

Probably not going to happen though.

That run on the Anor Londo ledge vs two Silver knight archers is cheap. Most of the time the knights die, they actually fall off themselves.
That's because people do it wrong. You need to realize that silver knights are the pretty much easiest mobs in the game to parry, and then it's a joke. I even admit I suck at parrying and I can still riposte-kill them with about 95% success.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Please tell us more about how much you loved Demon's Souls and can't let go of it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's because people do it wrong. You need to realize that silver knights are the pretty much easiest mobs in the game to parry, and then it's a joke. I even admit I suck at parrying and I can still riposte-kill them with about 95% success.
I checked youtube for a perfect play walkthrough. First result was a video that started with a green death puddle right on the ledge, and then he died again on his "super easy" attempt
smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Much like every encounter in DS once you get the animations, timing and responses down it's cake.

Vorph

Sure, but my point is that parrying a silver knight is one of the easiest examples of that. Both the sword and spear versions have extremely forgiving parry windows, and the swing animation telegraphs it on top of that.

Szlia

The spiritual forefather of the Soul serie is actually Shadow Tower, not King's Field. I played several hours of Shadow Tower recently and it's hilariously difficult... well... difficult is not the word... It's just constantly uncomfortable and stressful. The only way to heal is to use potions and you trade for potions in items and items decay... to add a degree to the equation, potions heal you fully, so using one when you are not really hurt feels like a waste and then of course you run the risk of going from slightly injured to dead without having the chance to drink a potion. Add darkness and poisonous floor and pit traps for good effect... these guys are not cool. Not. Cool.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Or you can walk up there in full havel and have them knock themselves off. Might need the wolf guys ring.

Balin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Or you can walk up there in full havel and have them knock themselves off. Might need the wolf guys ring.
Only in NG+. Havel's armor is behind the archers.

You also haven't seen many of these guys on your first playthrough, so parrying is tough. By the time you beat O&S, sure. You've killed a hundred of them and have the animations down.

If you've got a tanky, high-poise toon, these guys aren't that bad even on your first playthrough. If you're playing a caster-type with low poise, though, and haven't yet learned to parry silver knights, it's one of the toughest encounters in the game. I didn't really get good at parrying them until my second playthrough with a caster.

Sorry to necro. Loved DeS and DaS. DaS2 is easily my most anticipated 2014 title. This is still last-gen consoles and PC, right? Seems likely the PC version is superior this time, as current PC hardware is now light years ahead of the last-gen consoles.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
My frustration with DS was that no matter how good it felt to kill something after repeated deaths, I knew that around the next corner is something new that would eat my face several times before I figured THAT out. It is cool that there are so many different types of mobs and encounters, but it was also frustrating that I could almost never figure stuff out on the fly and win my first attempt. Every encounter starts with the knowledge that I will die repeatedly, then have to slog through all this trash for 10minutes before my next attempt.

Also, Capra demon was the gayest fight in the history of gay fights.

I stopped playing after going through the sewers and dying once to that boss, the dragon with teeth down its whole body. I just didn't feel like slogging through shit and got tired of dying over and over every new encounter. Its like skills I developed never transfered to future content

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
My frustration with DS was that no matter how good it felt to kill something after repeated deaths, I knew that around the next corner is something new that would eat my face several times before I figured THAT out. It is cool that there are so many different types of mobs and encounters, but it was also frustrating that I could almost never figure stuff out on the fly and win my first attempt. Every encounter starts with the knowledge that I will die repeatedly, then have to slog through all this trash for 10minutes before my next attempt.

I stopped playing after going through the sewers and dying once to that boss, the dragon with teeth down its whole body. I just didn't feel like slogging through shit and got tired of dying over and over every new encounter. Its like skills I developed never transfered to future content
Play another actiony game with similar gameplay. You'll see your skills translate.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only in NG+. Havel's armor is behind the archers.

You also haven't seen many of these guys on your first playthrough, so parrying is tough. By the time you beat O&S, sure. You've killed a hundred of them and have the animations down.

If you've got a tanky, high-poise toon, these guys aren't that bad even on your first playthrough. If you're playing a caster-type with low poise, though, and haven't yet learned to parry silver knights, it's one of the toughest encounters in the game. I didn't really get good at parrying them until my second playthrough with a caster.

Sorry to necro. Loved DeS and DaS. DaS2 is easily my most anticipated 2014 title. This is still last-gen consoles and PC, right? Seems likely the PC version is superior this time, as current PC hardware is now light years ahead of the last-gen consoles.
First of you could never necro this thread. Necro would apply to a shit game. Second off, yea your right on the Havels armor. I think I must've gone up there in silver knight armor then. Or maybe Onion Knight. Whichever the highest poise armor I had at the time. That was the first time I did it so I know I didn't use Havels too. In NG+ I just used parry and riposte.

Even if you are playing a caster type you should always carry around a high poise set. First play through that is.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really wish From would just make King's Field V instead of more Dark Souls after this.
Did you ever finish KF1 or 2? I had them both whem they came out on the PS1 and could never finish them. It was a strange game nonetheless. Really dark and generic (even for a PS1 game) but somehow I kept coming back and playing them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I know what you mean. Even by the end of the game when things were rolling pretty smoothly for me I knew that the learning curve for new mobs / bosses was just so punishing it was more learning the animations/tricks than it was really 'getting better'.

Vaclav

First of you could never necro this thread. Necro would apply to a shit game. Second off, yea your right on the Havels armor. I think I must've gone up there in silver knight armor then. Or maybe Onion Knight. Whichever the highest poise armor I had at the time. That was the first time I did it so I know I didn't use Havels too. In NG+ I just used parry and riposte.

Even if you are playing a caster type you should always carry around a high poise set. First play through that is.
Highest Poise that early is probably Stone.

I did them dodging the arrows like a boss every time.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I don't get the complaints about having to learn the fights. Most of this board has enjoyed progression raiding in an MMO at some point, isn't it basically the same thing? Try shit, probably die, and eventually learn what you need to do?

There's even the analogous "how to" youtube videos if you're a pussy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My only problem is what I like to call the "fuck you mechanic" where you'll accidentally die by a boss walking next to you or some bullshit

I am surprised no one has mentioned "Painted World of Ariamis" section of Dark Souls. Very few games have a completely hidden optional dungeon that if/when you find it you cant leave until its finished.... kinda sorta reminded me of Veeshan's Peak. Plus I love the way the Painted World looks, its somehow the icing on the cake of sadness that is Dark Souls.

Forin

atalakas

Golden Knight of the Realm
I like painted world also Forin, and your right, especially when you realize just how sad the world is. It was created for priscilla because she was a abomination and to hide her as she grew up. Everything in there is to guard her from the hateful world that mistreated her. She is such a sad boss..