Dark Souls 3

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
compared to Civ 5, I found DS2 multiplayer to be really, really easy to set up. Relevant?
wink.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Compared to DS2? Not a chance. DS2, you put a mark down if you want to help and other person clicks the mark if they want the help. Compare that to the convoluted shit you have to do to get any co-op going in BB....
Oh like ringing a bell one time and having it continually summon phantoms without requiring any other interaction? Or being able to connect with whomever you want, regardless of level, with the use of a simple password? SO HARD. Even using the ring with a certain deity in DS2 there were problems connecting.

Every single one of your opinions about BB is bad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My guess is that the guy in the video is your player in DS2 with the crown or the undead that got the crown. The cycle stopped in DS2 and your role in DS3 is to reset the cycle recreate the bonefire. The trailer remind me of the world before the lords found their Souls.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My guess is that the guy in the video is your player in DS2 with the crown or the undead that got the crown. The cycle stopped in DS2 and your role in DS3 is to reset the cycle recreate the bonefire. The trailer remind me of the world before the lords found their Souls.
The cycle does not stop in DS2. It always continues regardless of whether you kindle the first flame or not.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
PC Gamer is speculating that DS3 might be set prior to the events of DS1:

Dark Souls 3 preview: a grander sense of scale, but still familiar - PC Gamer

Spoiler'd for length:

- The story is focused on the Lords of Cinder. The presentation had "Lord of Cinder," singular, written out, but Miyazaki said that the giant in the Dark Souls 3 trailer was one of these Lords of Cinder. The dark hero (hello, player) is trying to kill them.

- Estus flasks, bonfires, jump attacks, greatswords, and dual-wielding weapons are back.

- New weapon arts will add extra abilities to different weapons, beyond their typical attack animations. The longsword has a "ready" position where the shield is put away and two special attacks can be triggered that break blocking stances. Greatswords have a powerful lunging upward strike that can launch enemies into the air. Dual wielded scimitars have a whirlwind attack that can hit multiple enemies.

- Knights return to the series, and are strong and aggressive.

- You can now fire the shortbow quickly while locked onto enemies in third-person.

- Player movement has been improved and made "more intuitive." Movement is definitely faster in Dark Souls 3, sitting somewhere between Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

- Magic was not in the demo, but Miyazaki confirmed it would be in the game. He played coy about how the magic system would or wouldn't be changed, but in answer to one question during the Q&A, he hinted that ash would be important-perhaps a branch of magic.

- Miyazaki cited Berserk, the dark fantasy manga starring greatsword-wielding hero Guts, as a direct inspiration for the greatsword attacks in Dark Souls 3.

- The agility stat from Dark Souls 2 is not returning.

- From Software is planning to support up to six players online, like in Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin. That number is the goal, but it sounded like they were hedging a bit in case it didn't work out.

- Dark Souls 3 shares the same "worldview" as the first two games. The demo featured two dead dragons and one live one.Someone asked if the presence of so many dragons implied that this was a prequel to Dark Souls, and Miyazaki wouldn't directly confirm it, but his answer seemed to suggest a yes.

- Miyazaki's goals with deepening the game include improving the sword action and expanding the roleplaying experience through a wider variety of viable character builds.

- In the demo, one undead suddenly explodes into a giant writhing, amorphous black blob, like a less fleshy version of something out of Resident Evil. When asked if this was something players would see throughout the game, Miyazaki said yes. When asked if the enemy had ties to the Abyss, he smiled and said that giving away details would be a spoiler.

- When the demo player picked up Elite Scimitars, I believe it said "Elite Scimitars," plural. This made me wonder if there are weapons in the game that come in twos. He used the scimitars individually, as well, but I believe there was always a secondary sheathed scimitar on the character model, even when one was being wielded with a shield.

- Dark Souls 3 runs on DirectX 11.

- There were no fog doors in the demo area we saw.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can almost guarantee coop will be the same it has always been.

Also coop is for PUSSIES.
I feel like coop trivializes encounters and ruins the tightly tuned nature of the game. I beat a boss using coop to try it out and felt like I was robbed of the Dark Souls experience of having to learn a boss via repeated failure and death.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It does. Co-op in From Soft games is just admitting defeat.

• 1Solidarity

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I don't think this is a prequel. With the slogan "Only Embers Remain" and them saying "with the apocalypse upon you" it sounds like the Flame is in danger of burning out, which could bring in the darkness. And maybe its up to you to stop the darkness?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It does. Co-op in From Soft games is just admitting defeat.
Yep.

Like Tuco I tried it once and it felt like I had just given up on life. I guess some people are pussies and need it, but to me the best part about these games is the challenge. There is 0 challenge in coop on NG if you're summoning other people.

• 1Solidarity

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Yep.

Like Tuco I tried it once and it felt like I had just given up on life. I guess some people are pussies and need it, but to me the best part about these games is the challenge. There is 0 challenge in coop on NG if you're summoning other people.
Thats why I deleted my first playthrough of DS2 18 hours in. I was summoning help for bosses and I realized that made me a casual, and I had to prove myself.

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Co-op has its place.

Your penis did not get any smaller just because some dude got help on the Smelter with his mele only character. Also, team farm runs at the dragon temple were the most enjoyable way to grind in the entire game.

Frankly, it also helped replay value and cut down on needing to respec for certain fights (unless you just grossly over-leveled them). It generally only impacted boss fights, in any case. Its not like co-op was making places like the Gutter any easier. Finally, some of the DLC bosses were designed for Co-op. I mean, you could use the stock NPCs, but they were basically useless.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't really care if other people have coop. It's just a unused feature for me. And it's not like beating Dark Souls is prestigious enough that I'd care whether other people shared in the accomplishment who took the easy route. Though if someone were trying to front that they beat DS and I found out they used coop to beat the toughest bosses I'd have to bust them.

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
68% of people that own Dark Souls on steam never even made it to the first bonfire, and only 12% got to the Lordvessel. Beating it is kind of a big deal :p

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
There should be co-op for the causal peasants and clear achievements for beating bosses with and without co-op.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
68% of people that own Dark Souls on steam never even made it to the first bonfire, and only 12% got to the Lordvessel. Beating it is kind of a big deal :p
Don't pretty much all games show these stats? ie the 10 minute achievement not earned by a large percentage?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That Dark Souls number also doesn't incorporate the vast majority of people who had it when GFWL was a thing, as that is when I beat it on PC. My "achievements" from that phase did not translate to Steam after it was migrated over to the workshop.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
People experience games differently. For me for example, the boss fights are the least exciting part during the last Souls games. The thing i enjoy most is the exploration, fighting my way through difficult areas and finding stuff along the way. I prefer to coop most bosses since to me they are mostly obstacles on the way to more content. I have to admit, in DS and DKS1 it was a bit different, since every boss was different and exciting. But DKS2 and Bloodbourne? Meh.

Anyways DKS3 is a must buy for me, can't wait.