Dark Souls 3

Column_sl

shitlord
PvP basically. If one guy is running 30fps and another 60fps it causes all sorts of odd interactions.
It's not cross platform dude... If it launches at 60 fps on the pc then that is the standard.

There is no excuse for them not running it at 60 fps on the PC.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up the Japanese release when it launches early.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Weird song choice but grrrrreat trailer non the less.

I am casually playing through DS1 again with some funny builds in order to get ready for this. 7 more weeks!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
If you are in the market for a controller, I believe the steam controller is a very legit PC option for Souls 3. Here are the benefits of the steam controller after my playthrough of Souls 2(Scholar Edition). I played it at launch with my 360 Pad at the time. Dark Souls 2 and I'm assuming 3 actually take both MKB/Controller inputs simultaneously, unlike for example Fallout 4. The benefit of this is that the camera control on the right haptic is actually a mouse that you can flick 180/90/60/30 degrees near instantly at variable speed and you can stop it on a dime. For thrusting attacks for example, this allows the combination of mouse flicks+analog character adjustment to quite literally thrust at all kinds of crazy angles in rapid combination as you only need to engage forward with the camera flips. It feels amazing and I think for pvp it is a remarkable advantage over a user of a standard controller because of the camera finesse and speed alone. I haven't come close to dying to an invasion, but I am not a hardcore souls PVP player in any way so take that into account.

Other benefits relate to the paddle grips, simple options are like binding walk forward to the left grip. As you grip, this allows you to turn with the right pad + engage the dpad for item swapping when your thumb has to come off the joystick.

At 50 dollars, it has a very competitive price point. It outperformed my expectations over time.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's not cross platform dude... If it launches at 60 fps on the pc then that is the standard.

There is no excuse for them not running it at 60 fps on the PC.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up the Japanese release when it launches early.
Yeah but if one guy is rocking 60fps on his PC and some other guy with an old system is only able to eek out 30FPS because he won't drop money to upgrade (and we all know that is the bulk of the people out there) what do you think happens?

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah but if one guy is rocking 60fps on his PC and some other guy with an old system is only able to eek out 30FPS because he won't drop money to upgrade (and we all know that is the bulk of the people out there) what do you think happens?
Damn you are stupid, you just discounted PC competition for the last two decades....

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So your saying that the 30FPS guy either can't play or magically gets 60FPS? Or maybe the 60FPS guy gets throttled back to 30 (which if you played both the PS3 and PS4 versions, you would know generated entirely different gameplay experiences in Dark Souls 2) for the encounter? Basically they can lock everyone in at 30fps (until people crack that) or they can have everyone playing to the lowest performer's limits in any PvP encounter. I am with you in that the game is unplayable to me at 30 after experiencing it at 60, but unless they cap everyone at one number there are going to be technical issues with a combat engine as diverse and complex as this one. And I seriously doubt they are willing to tell people with older systems to go fuck themselves, just yet.

Column_sl

shitlord
So your saying that the 30FPS guy either can't play or magically gets 60FPS? Or maybe the 60FPS guy gets throttled back to 30 (which if you played both the PS3 and PS4 versions, you would know generated entirely different gameplay experiences in Dark Souls 2) for the encounter? Basically they can lock everyone in at 30fps (until people crack that) or they can have everyone playing to the lowest performer's limits in any PvP encounter. I am with you in that the game is unplayable to me at 30 after experiencing it at 60, but unless they cap everyone at one number there are going to be technical issues with a combat engine as diverse and complex as this one. And I seriously doubt they are willing to tell people with older systems to go fuck themselves, just yet.
And that is why God created the consoles...

And FYI Dark Souls 2 is 60 fps on pc, and started as a 30 fps console game. It also had the best pvp of all the Dark Souls series, shows how much people even give a shit about pvp.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I guess I don't understand what you are arguing here. Was the prior DS locket at 60 on PC and the new one is locked at 30?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If they wrote their PC port correctly this time and didn't tie stuff to FPS there should be no problem - LOL

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am not sure if their system of blocks and parries can work well without being tied in like that, though. I mean, compare this game series to anything in the shooter genre and its a lot more complex, even without MP interaction in the mix.

Column_sl

shitlord
I guess I don't understand what you are arguing here. Was the prior DS locket at 60 on PC and the new one is locked at 30?
Ds 2 on console started as 30 fps, DS 2 Scholar on PC is 60 fps....

Your argument that people can't compete at 60fps on PC is thrown out because they have a Souls game already out there that is doing fine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think they'd lock it to 30fps on PC because some butthurt faggot is too poor to buy a PC capable of playing at 60FPS. They'd do it because they suck at writing code.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
/\/\ Ding. You have leveled the intelligence of the forum. Congrats!

And that is why God created the consoles...

And FYI Dark Souls 2 is 60 fps on pc, and started as a 30 fps console game. It also had the best pvp of all the Dark Souls series, shows how much people even give a shit about pvp.
DS2 originally on PC was locked to 30 and had to be modded to hack to 60. Which then broke the game as a result.

Only the SOTFS shipped with 60 FPS supported from From Software, and even that was a bitch because they never fixed the durability bug until later patches. Who in their right mind locks weapon durability to frame rate? How the hell was that even possible anyway, and/or why?

For me, I am hoping the combat is similar to Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls 2 sucked for my tastes.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I preferred the methodical combat in DS2 a lot more. All anyone did in DS1 was either hoplite style or katana bleed sploit. Every weapon type had a viable option and use in DS2, both SP and MP. BB was a good game, but I would stop playing souls games if they patterned them after that game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
/\/\ Ding. You have leveled the intelligence of the forum. Congrats!

DS2 originally on PC was locked to 30 and had to be modded to hack to 60. Which then broke the game as a result.

Only the SOTFS shipped with 60 FPS supported from From Software, and even that was a bitch because they never fixed the durability bug until later patches. Who in their right mind locks weapon durability to frame rate? How the hell was that even possible anyway, and/or why?

For me, I am hoping the combat is similar to Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls 2 sucked for my tastes.
DS2 ran at 60 on PC on launch, no modding needed. It also had the broken weapon durability that came with it which I'm not sure they ever actually fixed?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
DS2 ran at 60 on PC on launch, no modding needed. It also had the broken weapon durability that came with it which I'm not sure they ever actually fixed?
Hmm... I could have sworn the original DS2 needed a mod fix to get to 60 FPS. (I may be confusing it with DS1 on PC) The durability bug was patched on the PS4 version, I assumed it was patched for the PC. (This was Scholars of the first sin) Again, assuming they would have patched the original game as well.

Yep nevermind. I am wrong sorry. 60 FPS was original for DS2 on PC. A mod fixed the bug on the PC version for weapon durability, the PS4 and Xbox One versions didn't have an official patch to fix it until a month or two after release (Of the updated definitive edition which introduced 1080p60 to the PS4 and Xbox One versions)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yar, DS1 was a .dll hack to get 60fps, but that also broke a ton of shit like ladders and falling damage etc.

I never really paid much mind to the durability thing in DS2 as I was mostly using greatswords and shit, but the math on it was some real butt-cancer for anyone trying to run rapiers/straight swords or god forbid polearms.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah did pole arms my first run of DS2 on the PS3. Had to take 5 powders every run and still needed a backup weapon, and that as a part time mage. I was so happy when they mostly fixed that shit in the PS4 release.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PC was better for Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 once they fixed the weapon thing.

It's probly a safe bet to buy it first on the PS4, and then buy it later on the PC if the community can unlock 30fps.

I have no clue why we are still at 30fps in 2016....
30 fps on lowly 1080p to boot...

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I preferred the methodical combat in DS2 a lot more. All anyone did in DS1 was either hoplite style or katana bleed sploit. Every weapon type had a viable option and use in DS2, both SP and MP. BB was a good game, but I would stop playing souls games if they patterned them after that game.
This man speaks for me. Although I loved the environments/world of DS1 more, DS2 had superior game mechanics.