Dark Souls

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just now saw this and noticed you posted it in mid May then edited it at the end of June to notify me. Yeah definitely not weird dude!

In retrospect, I would have also thought it was wacky to play OG Souls2 again just for a plat. Not gonna lie, once I got it rolling and saw how bad the framerate was, I definitely had second thoughts on wasting time on it. Worked out, though.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Welp I did what I always wanted to do

Get punched the fuck out by a giant mushroom

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yall don't understand how badass the modders are in Champions of Ash, WORKING transform attacks... Whole new attack animations etc. It is madness...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Maybe I didnt give it enough of a chance. I didn't get all that far but there was lots of if they do this you have to do this etc.

Did the same but recently picked it back up and finished it.

was never really able to get out of Souls-mode on bosses and most of the really hard ones I would just sprint/dodge away then run back in and take a couple shots during an opening. Think there was only 1 boss where that wasn't viable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I figured out why I can't get into Sekiro at all despite loving Soulsborne and Nioh. There's no level-up system. At least in the early parts that I played. In the other aformentioned games, even if I failed at something, at least I was slowly getting more powerful and could eventually surmount the opposition. Sekiro on the other hand doesn't look like it lets you power-build at all, you're solely reliant on finishing challenges as you are. Combine this with parrying being the main mechanic and it being the thing I'm worst at in Soulsborne, and Sekiro just doesn't work for me. It's a shame because I really want to play it, like all of it, but I don't have a hundred hours to throw at it. Maybe it isn't as bad as it seemed from the couple hours I spent on it. I do intend to give it another shot at some later point when I do have time for it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I figured out why I can't get into Sekiro at all despite loving Soulsborne and Nioh. There's no level-up system. At least in the early parts that I played. In the other aformentioned games, even if I failed at something, at least I was slowly getting more powerful and could eventually surmount the opposition. Sekiro on the other hand doesn't look like it lets you power-build at all, you're solely reliant on finishing challenges as you are. Combine this with parrying being the main mechanic and it being the thing I'm worst at in Soulsborne, and Sekiro just doesn't work for me. It's a shame because I really want to play it, like all of it, but I don't have a hundred hours to throw at it. Maybe it isn't as bad as it seemed from the couple hours I spent on it. I do intend to give it another shot at some later point when I do have time for it.

I am rather terrible at Dark Souls (only played Remastered and didn't finish it) but I really got into Sekiro and reached the final boss (and stopped there because I didn't have 50 hours to throw at it to actually beat said boss). There's indeed no levels in Sekiro so you won't be able to overpower challenges but you can find some consumables that make some fights easier (Divine Confetti for example) and you can also unlock some Fighting Arts that let you gain some advantages in battle. You can also grind money to buy upgrades to your prosthetic equipment. When I first played Sekiro, I made the mistake of entering the Hirata Estate memory right after I found it, and boy that turned out to be a mistake. I eventually plowed through it after hundreds of deaths, but really it's not meant to be done early on, so I'm not sure what part you're having trouble on but if it's Lady Butterfly and you're only a few hours into it, it's no wonder you're getting your ass kicked. Go explore other areas and come back later.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am rather terrible at Dark Souls (only played Remastered and didn't finish it) but I really got into Sekiro and reached the final boss (and stopped there because I didn't have 50 hours to throw at it to actually beat said boss). There's indeed no levels in Sekiro so you won't be able to overpower challenges but you can find some consumables that make some fights easier (Divine Confetti for example) and you can also unlock some Fighting Arts that let you gain some advantages in battle. You can also grind money to buy upgrades to your prosthetic equipment. When I first played Sekiro, I made the mistake of entering the Hirata Estate memory right after I found it, and boy that turned out to be a mistake. I eventually plowed through it after hundreds of deaths, but really it's not meant to be done early on, so I'm not sure what part you're having trouble on but if it's Lady Butterfly and you're only a few hours into it, it's no wonder you're getting your ass kicked. Go explore other areas and come back later.

I don't think I even got that far. I think it was the first real boss, or something to that effect, and I got tired of repeating the area before him over and over while gaining nothing to show for it in the process.

I vastly prefer Nioh, not just because of gaining EXP, but also because there are more ways to tackle an obstacle. There's also a slow spell that makes bosses a lot more manageable (I didn't quite get that far though). Sekiro is rigid and forces you into doing everything the way it wants you to do them. There isn't much leeway for experimentation like in a more standard Souls game.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah I disliked Sekiro for the same reason. The more they strip the RPG elements away the less fun it becomes. I felt the same with the transition from ME1 to ME2 losing the 800 gear and skill options.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t like parrying either. My brain can understand the mechanics of “don’t let their pixels touch your pixels” but when it’s “push button when their pixels touch yours during this window” it’s just not good. I can do it I’m just too inconsistent. I never played Sekiro cause I read it was parry heavy.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don’t like parrying either. My brain can understand the mechanics of “don’t let their pixels touch your pixels” but when it’s “push button when their pixels touch yours during this window” it’s just not good. I can do it I’m just too inconsistent. I never played Sekiro cause I read it was parry heavy.

Yeah, I'm a dodging and blocking guy, not a parrying guy. The parry windows tended to be a bit too arbitrary in some of these games for me to like it. When I finished Souls 2 and Bloodborne recently I tried getting good at parrying in both of them and the window just wouldn't cooperate. I was always either parrying too early or too late. Usually too early, which was like...alright, I need to wait until the attack is basically hitting me before I parry.

Yeah I disliked Sekiro for the same reason. The more they strip the RPG elements away the less fun it becomes. I felt the same with the transition from ME1 to ME2 losing the 800 gear and skill options.

Had the same issues with Mass Effect. By the time we got to the 3rd one it just felt like a standard shooter to me.

I've never advocated that these Soulsborne type games have an easy mode and I'm strongly against something like that happening, but I have to say Sekiro might be the one time where I support an easy option. The other games allow you to create your own easy option through the gameplay: Play a sorcerer in Demon/Dark 1, farm tons of consumables in Bloodborne, kill things 10 times to remove them from the world in Souls 2. All of these things make those games a lot easier to traverse without robbing them of any sense of accomplishment. Considering Sekiro doesn't have a way to bring down the difficulty via ingame mechanics yourself, I'd welcome an easy mode for it just so I can see everything it has to offer without it being a tedious drag.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The parry window is actually really forgiving in Sekiro, something like 0.5 seconds. The window is supposed to get shorter if you mash parry, though.

They also give you a way to grind attack power towards the end, which is when you have to fight the 3 biggest Fuck You bosses

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah, I'm a dodging and blocking guy, not a parrying guy. The parry windows tended to be a bit too arbitrary in some of these games for me to like it. When I finished Souls 2 and Bloodborne recently I tried getting good at parrying in both of them and the window just wouldn't cooperate. I was always either parrying too early or too late. Usually too early, which was like...alright, I need to wait until the attack is basically hitting me before I parry.

Had the same issues with Mass Effect. By the time we got to the 3rd one it just felt like a standard shooter to me.

I've never advocated that these Soulsborne type games have an easy mode and I'm strongly against something like that happening, but I have to say Sekiro might be the one time where I support an easy option. The other games allow you to create your own easy option through the gameplay: Play a sorcerer in Demon/Dark 1, farm tons of consumables in Bloodborne, kill things 10 times to remove them from the world in Souls 2. All of these things make those games a lot easier to traverse without robbing them of any sense of accomplishment. Considering Sekiro doesn't have a way to bring down the difficulty via ingame mechanics yourself, I'd welcome an easy mode for it just so I can see everything it has to offer without it being a tedious drag.
I just don’t get immersed if I can’t customize the character and his growth much. Plus it’s a cool mini game.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I've never advocated that these Soulsborne type games have an easy mode and I'm strongly against something like that happening, but I have to say Sekiro might be the one time where I support an easy option. , I'd welcome an easy mode for it just so I can see everything it has to offer without it being a tedious drag.

Oh Hell No Paternity Court GIF by Lauren Lake's Paternity Court
Warhammer 40K Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG
Embarrassed Shame GIF

On a more serious note, don't dismiss this gem of a game from only a couple of hours playtime. I bought this game at release and my initial reaction after having played through the DS trilogy was kinda the same as you. Not that I wanted it easier, I just couldn't get into it as I was too used to DS mechanics. So I played a couple of hours and then dropped it completely when I got the chance to sink my teeth into Bloodborne.
Eventually I returned, which i'm glad I did. Also you can't compare parry with DS/BB, Sekiro is easier once you get the hang of it. I advice you to spend some time with the undead trainer near the start location to get familiar with the games mechanics.The parry part is easy, but you want to improve your deflect skill, as that takes big chunks out of bosses posture and open them up for other moves in your combat arts skill trees.
You also have a ton of upgrade options with your prostetic arm called Prosthetic Tools, like for example "Mist Raven" for short teleport, "Loaded Umbrella", that acts like a shield and have a damage multiplier built in that multiply damage taken on it for you to projectile back at the enemy. You got "finger whistle" for crowd controll/ aggro mobs against each other and also short disorientation effect on certain bosses. "Firecrackers" for stun/blind effect and fire damage, plus the "fire vent" / oil combo for setting mobs with fire weakness on fire.
You advance your skill tree by killing mobs, your vitality/posture by killing mini-bosses and gaining prayer beads (also found in hidden locations), and your attack power by killing bosses and gaining their memories. The game might have a steep learning curve, but in the end it's worth it cause when you master the moves the fights are so fast paced and adrenaline filled that when you beats a really hard boss it's so rewarding.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The parry window is actually really forgiving in Sekiro, something like 0.5 seconds. The window is supposed to get shorter if you mash parry, though.

They also give you a way to grind attack power towards the end, which is when you have to fight the 3 biggest Fuck You bosses

How do you grind attack power towards the end?

This thread has ensured that I'll give Sekiro another shot sooner than later.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's called the dragon dancing mask. You buy it in 3 parts and it allows you to trade in 5 skill points for attack power.