Dark Souls

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I didn’t pvp much. I remember in one of the games it was pretty fun, ice distraction, then one time while almost beating something finally some dude ganked me and it pissed me off so bad I turned it off.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's just Dark Souls at 60fps. Can't say its worth it at full price if you already own the original version, but going back to 30fps after playing Demon's Souls remake is hard to do

I was hoping it'd be like Scholar of the First Sin where things would be switched around a little for a fresher experience. Are the visuals at least much higher res?

I rebought DS2&3 when they were on sale recently. I never had any of the DLC, so that’ll be new for me. Starting DS3 over and playing in high FPS is cool. I still suck at it so it’s like relearning it all over for me~ I don’t fully remember everything either, I don’t play these to death and grind them like some people so they’re really not stale for me.

I haven't played DS3. Is it being 60 FPS a new thing on PS5 or was it like that on PS4 too? Cause if it got PS5 enhancements then I'm glad I waited on it. It's the only Souls game left that I can play for the first time, so...I never play it.

I think the DS2 DLC's are some of the best content in the series.

The DLCs for 2 are -great- but also very very hard. They have different elemental themes (fire, ice, poison) with all 3 having some memorable fights. Probably want to do them at the end of the main game because they're so damn difficult. They did such a good job with the DLCs in all 3 games (and Bloodborne) that I really wish they'd made that "sixth portal" DLC for Demon's Souls. Though fun fact, apparently the sixth portal world was repurposed to be the ice DLC in Souls 2. So that's as close as we'll get to being able to play a Demon DLC.

Most of the Souls fights I remember the most vividly were in the Souls 2 DLCs.

Maybe I’ll start that one instead. I barely got into 2, I remember not liking it but don’t even remember why. I think I only beat a few bosses before moving on to something else. I bought it at release since I loved demons souls and dark souls, so never played any of the DLC.

2 is my least-favorite personally, but I have fond memories of it nonetheless. It was the first Souls game I played. It was made by a "B-Team" (not Miyazaki like the others) IIRC and the world design isn't as logical or coherent as the other games IMO. There are more of what I consider cheap deaths. However it does have style and mood, and they balanced the combat a bit so sorcery doesn't gimp the entire game.

I'd love to play 2 again if it ever gets another PS5 remaster type thing. Been hoping for PS5 remakes of all 3 Darks and Bloodborne. I'm about 90% sure we'll get the latter, don't know about the formers. However I 100%ed all of these games (DeS, DkS, DkS2 SOTFS, Blood, DeSR) so I don't really have a reason to play them again unless they get a newer version. Which is why I'm considering a run at DkS Remastered. I hope it's different enough to warrant a run. Just improved visuals and 60 FPS alone should make it different enough for me.

It's funny, I've got all these new games I want to take a run at (Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild) and I keep defaulting back to thinking about Souls replays instead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I can’t speak to ps5, I rebought them for pc. Ps4 is 30 FPS though, so the FPS boost in itself makes it look and feel so much better to me. I played the originals on ps3, ps4.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Soo the Full edition of Dark Souls 3(I don't remember the name of it off-hand), you could get 60fps on PS4(This is how the guy got 60fps/720p on Bloodborne btw) , PS4 version of Scholar has 60fps(requires game update).

Demon Souls' on PS5 is just like the Shadow of the Colossus Remake Bluepoint did, basically some QoL Improvements + 1 set of extra armor you can get, but it's basically just the game assets all upgraded. But it's still awesome even without the Giants Archstone(I was really hoping for that =/)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Soo the Full edition of Dark Souls 3(I don't remember the name of it off-hand), you could get 60fps on PS4(This is how the guy got 60fps/720p on Bloodborne btw) , PS4 version of Scholar has 60fps(requires game update).

Demon Souls' on PS5 is just like the Shadow of the Colossus Remake Bluepoint did, basically some QoL Improvements + 1 set of extra armor you can get, but it's basically just the game assets all upgraded. But it's still awesome even without the Giants Archstone(I was really hoping for that =/)
Oh my bad. Maybe I thought that ps4 was 30fps because my old tv was 30fps.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I haven't played DS3. Is it being 60 FPS a new thing on PS5 or was it like that on PS4 too? Cause if it got PS5 enhancements then I'm glad I waited on it. It's the only Souls game left that I can play for the first time, so...I never play it.

You've never played 3? The fuck? It's more of a direct sequel to number 1 but with much tighter controls and boss epicness turned to 11.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

It's a damn shame the Demon remake doesn't include the lost archstone. Though I suppose without the original dev team working on it, they can't exactly make something like that. Miyazaki and team would have to go work with Bluepoint for a month to create a DLC, I guess.

I really wish they would. It could use the original ideas and be similar to Dark 2's frozen DLC, except with whatever it would have had in the original planned form for Demon. I.e. giant bosses instead of tiger bosses, more of a Demon's Souls world structure (6-1, 6-2, 6-3) rather than the Souls 2 DLC's one big open area followed by a snowfield. We see the intended World 6 at one point in the intro, IIRC, and it's different enough from the Dark 2 DLC.

It could unlock once World 1-4 is unlocked, so it's endgame-level content while also being entirely optional. They could even treat it like a "challenge world" and make it extra tough.

Thinking about the potential of this missing World 6 keeps me up at night.

You've never played 3? The fuck? It's more of a direct sequel to number 1 but with much tighter controls and boss epicness turned to 11.

I know how good it is. I also know that I can only play it for the first time once, and it's the last chance I have to do that with a Souls game. I'm also waiting to be in the right mindset for it, AKA a mindset that is conducive to enjoying anything, which I haven't been in for the past 2 years. So I'm playing things like Nioh for my "new Souls" fix to avoid tainting the sanctity of Souls 3. Someday when I'm a little less miserable I'll give Souls 3 a whirl.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Wanna know what the Funny part is, The Northern Limit is actually in the PS3 version of Demon Souls'

It was never finished...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wanna know what the Funny part is, The Northern Limit is actually in the PS3 version of Demon Souls'

It was never finished...

With the area actually in the game, it wouldn't take as much work as I thought. They'd just need to consult Miyazaki's team on what was supposed to go where, and finish the existing zone files. It looks like 6-1 is the snow field / underground ruins, 6-2 is the ice castle, and 6-3 is that icy room at the end.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
With the area actually in the game, it wouldn't take as much work as I thought. They'd just need to consult Miyazaki's team on what was supposed to go where, and finish the existing zone files. It looks like 6-1 is the snow field / underground ruins, 6-2 is the ice castle, and 6-3 is that icy room at the end.

We will never see it, *shrug* ...

I'm sure they had good reason too cut it from the game, be it time constraints or was just too big for the team they had at the time, member this was the first game they had done like this... well sort of King's Field series does have some ties too Dark Souls, Seath the Scaleless and the Moonlight Sword are big character/item's in them.

Just like how Bloodborne is pretty much in the Demon Souls' world... Father Gascoigne was saying "Umbasa" during some alpha stuff...

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I seem to recall 60 FPS being a big issue with DS2 because weapon durability was locked to the number of frames your weapon was in contact with the target. When the PC version came out your weapon broke between almost every bonfire. Is that fixed in SOTFS?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
While of course more dark souls content is good I’m glad they didn’t release it broken or rushed. Back before I knew it was just not completed in time I actually thought it was cool and mysterious that there was one that was broken. How did it break? Wtf lived in there that someone felt the need to break it? Etc. Added to the mysterious nature of the game.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I seem to recall 60 FPS being a big issue with DS2 because weapon durability was locked to the number of frames your weapon was in contact with the target. When the PC version came out your weapon broke between almost every bonfire. Is that fixed in SOTFS?

Yes was fixed shortly after the 60fps patch, I think it was just something they spaced on lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When I played SOTFS on PS4 I remember weapons breaking constantly. This was very soon after release.

Anyway I just finished Bloodborne again and am gonna replay Souls 2 and Souls 1 in the next month or so (probably in that order since it's the original order I played them in).

I'm doing something kind of funky with Souls 2: Playing the original PS3 version instead of PS4 SOTFS. Why? Because I'm gonna plat it again, of course. I never played the original DkS2, only the SOTFS version, so that's a whole other platinum to get that I missed. I'm glad the DLCs aren't required for the normal game trophies because I don't really want to do those again for DkS2.

It'll be interesting to play what is essentially a "de-make" of a game I already played in the past. And since it isn't SOTFS it'll be a bit different from what I remember in terms of enemy placements and whatnot.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When I played SOTFS on PS4 I remember weapons breaking constantly. This was very soon after release.

Anyway I just finished Bloodborne again and am gonna replay Souls 2 and Souls 1 in the next month or so (probably in that order since it's the original order I played them in).

I'm doing something kind of funky with Souls 2: Playing the original PS3 version instead of PS4 SOTFS. Why? Because I'm gonna plat it again, of course. I never played the original DkS2, only the SOTFS version, so that's a whole other platinum to get that I missed. I'm glad the DLCs aren't required for the normal game trophies because I don't really want to do those again for DkS2.

It'll be interesting to play what is essentially a "de-make" of a game I already played in the past. And since it isn't SOTFS it'll be a bit different from what I remember in terms of enemy placements and whatnot.

They had framerate tied to weapon durability. The game ran at 60 FPS on PS4 which caused weapons to break faster. It took them forever to issue a patch to fix it. The PC version also had the same thing, and it wasn't till From released the PS4 version that the PC version finally got patched to fix it too. It was a very frustrating thing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They had framerate tied to weapon durability. The game ran at 60 FPS on PS4 which caused weapons to break faster. It took them forever to issue a patch to fix it. The PC version also had the same thing, and it wasn't till From released the PS4 version that the PC version finally got patched to fix it too. It was a very frustrating thing.
Would have been funny to release a 4x weapon durability mod and all the mod did was limit your game to 15 FPS.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A couple questions about classes:

-Any interesting build suggestions for Souls 1 Remastered? I want to play a melee character that also has spells, but I don't want to go with Sorcerer (I usually end up making a Battlemage-type sorcery/melee hybrid character and those are very OP). Feels like if I go with Pyromancer it'll just end up being another Battlemage (since the line between pyromancy and sorcery is basically nonexistent). I really like how Pyromancer plays in the early game though. Cleric is something I've never tried and I feel like it'd be a more diverse alternative to sorcery, lightning-throwing looks cool. Another possibility is that I could go with Knight and just spec them for some Faith spells, so essentially a Paladin. Also there might be some other class / build that's interesting that I haven't even thought of. Maybe a Bloodborne-style fast-meleer like Thief or Wanderer? ...well, it's a good thing I'm playing this after Souls 2 'cause I can't decide at all.

-What's the deal with Deprived in Souls 1? They start weak, but they're level 6 which is higher than any other class. I thought the point of starting with a weak class like Waste of Skin was that you'd have more levels available early-on to build it the way you want? Instead Pyromancer is the one that starts at level 1 (with Cleric close behind at level 2).

-I'm replaying Souls 2 before I replay Souls 1. I'm good at Souls 1 so I can play around and experiment, but I'm pretty bad at / unfamiliar with Souls 2 having played it a lot less. My plan for this (PS3 version) is to go with a Cleric and Faith build using Miracles/Hexes without ever going online or patching the game, since they significantly nerfed spell damage over time. I've read that an unpatched Souls 2 will have much better damage from a Faith build character using Hexes especially. Is this true? Sounds pretty interesting and something worth trying, especially if it makes the game more manageable. Even though I'm undecided on Souls 1 class, I like the idea of going right into Souls 2 as an arcane type given that I just finished Bloodborne which I wish did more with arcane (or that I was specced for it when it did).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
RIP, this thread~

My Souls 2 Demake run has been interesting. I thought it was the weakest Souls game the first time around and this run has confirmed it. The PS3 version ran like absolute crap at first (forget 30 FPS, open areas were like 15 FPS). I didn't patch the game for a while because I wanted to use un-nerfed miracles. Eventually I decided to move away from miracles so I went ahead and patched the game. My God, it looks and runs SO MUCH BETTER post-patch. I'll take the spell nerfs to have the game be so much more playable.

Ended up going with a hex build and using a combination of hexes and sorcery. Probably about a third of the way through it after 20 hours. Going for the Crypt Blacksword and dark infusion for it which should wreck everything, pretty underpowered in the meantime though. Going for 100% and a huge pain in the ass has been Lucatiel and needing her for specific boss fights. She gets killed way too easily and it's a huge hassle. I hope Benhart is a bit easier to deal with. Haven't gone that route yet, focused on the Lost Bastille route (done) and now Black Gulch to get the sword.

In any case the PS3 version is a lot more playable than I expected...after patching. It's different enough from SOTFS to continually surprise me too.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
A couple questions about classes:

-Any interesting build suggestions for Souls 1 Remastered? I want to play a melee character that also has spells, but I don't want to go with Sorcerer (I usually end up making a Battlemage-type sorcery/melee hybrid character and those are very OP). Feels like if I go with Pyromancer it'll just end up being another Battlemage (since the line between pyromancy and sorcery is basically nonexistent). I really like how Pyromancer plays in the early game though. Cleric is something I've never tried and I feel like it'd be a more diverse alternative to sorcery, lightning-throwing looks cool. Another possibility is that I could go with Knight and just spec them for some Faith spells, so essentially a Paladin. Also there might be some other class / build that's interesting that I haven't even thought of. Maybe a Bloodborne-style fast-meleer like Thief or Wanderer? ...well, it's a good thing I'm playing this after Souls 2 'cause I can't decide at all.

-What's the deal with Deprived in Souls 1? They start weak, but they're level 6 which is higher than any other class. I thought the point of starting with a weak class like Waste of Skin was that you'd have more levels available early-on to build it the way you want? Instead Pyromancer is the one that starts at level 1 (with Cleric close behind at level 2).

-I'm replaying Souls 2 before I replay Souls 1. I'm good at Souls 1 so I can play around and experiment, but I'm pretty bad at / unfamiliar with Souls 2 having played it a lot less. My plan for this (PS3 version) is to go with a Cleric and Faith build using Miracles/Hexes without ever going online or patching the game, since they significantly nerfed spell damage over time. I've read that an unpatched Souls 2 will have much better damage from a Faith build character using Hexes especially. Is this true? Sounds pretty interesting and something worth trying, especially if it makes the game more manageable. Even though I'm undecided on Souls 1 class, I like the idea of going right into Souls 2 as an arcane type given that I just finished Bloodborne which I wish did more with arcane (or that I was specced for it when it did).

Anyone can be a pyromancer, as your damage scales with the glove and not stats. Only spell stats you would need are attunement slots. I am currently doing a quality build and just picked up some pyro last night after killing Quelag.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user