Dark Souls

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In DkS I got 3 of the 4 primal bonfires lit, only missing the fire fortress (Iron Keep?) to be done. However I hit a bit of a wall with Huntsman's Copse. Think I'm just fatigued from playing this so much. I can't seem to beat Undead Lords. Also tried the chariot boss and lost that a few times too, but it seems a lot more doable than Undead Lords and if I were focused on that exclusively I'm sure I could get past it. Undead Lords on the other hand just turns into a chaotic mess very quickly with the pinwheels. I remember that fight being super-easy in SOTFS because I had a melee/dragoon type build with a halberd and was able to AOE-spin everything into oblivion. This time around my hexer is using a dinky mace (very good against skels 1v1 but no AOE). I think this fight requires either a sweeping melee attack or a Pyromancy build to steamroll it effectively and I've got nada for both.

I've got the Crypt Blacksword which has insane Dark scaling for a hexer build and some nice AOE attacks. I haven't gotten used to using it yet (like how you turn around while swinging / locked on if you hold back, rather than backing up). That might work a lot better for this fight (except the skeletons probably resist dark so even that won't be as good as it could be). Basically the Skeleton Lords are designed to defeat my current build. I'm going to look at AOE spells and try some of those for the fight, plus using the greatsword. Still going for the plat which will be my second DkS2 plat, if I stick with it.

Also surprised at how good the game still looks/runs on PS3 on a big TV compared to other PS3 games at this point.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I don't remember the name but the angel that split mid fight is probably one the hardest fight in the game. I really hate the Elana encounter. The dragons in the DLC are pretty fun if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't remember the name but the angel that split mid fight is probably one the hardest fight in the game. I really hate the Elana encounter. The dragons in the DLC are pretty fun if I recall correctly.
The Darklurker ... which was the only fight I ended up cheesing with Miracles cause my god is he a pain in the ass.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of pains in the ass, is the Shrine of Amana the worst area in the entire Soulsborne series or what? Good God. I've been through the second part (of 3) so many times now that most of the enemies stopped spawning. Now I'm trying to get that one Estus Shard off to the side, which requires carrying a torch so I can see where it's safe to walk, which means I can't block/fight very well when things jump out at me, which means just running down that one peninsula is awful.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Update: My second plat of Dark Souls 2 went well and was a lot easier than the SOTFS version.

At the end of NG, got every trophy except Vendrick who I keep losing to. And of course the couple of spell ones that take NG++. If I ever beat Vendrick, I can go to NG+ and probably fly through that in no time. I'm a dedicated caster at this point and STILL can't beat Vendrick. Other than that and Shrine of Amana, great game, was worth platting twice.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You'd hate to see what I did to shrine of amana on a blind replay. Invader and all. Remember that limiting yourself isn't necessarily making a build. If you're short in some capacity, time to cover a weak point. If you feel you're limited in a given fight, you probably are.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat Vendrick, turned out he's easy if you stay by the left foot. Found out I needed Darklurker too, that was way tougher. Pretty much just need to speedrun NG+ and then get the spells from the Chancellor in NG++ to be done with Souls 2 Platinum #2 which is kind of awesome. It's still my least-favorite Souls even after this revisitation though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Vendrick's pretty easy, just tedious. Don't remember too much in DS2 being incredibly difficult like certain fights in DS, Ds3, or Bloodborne.

Biggest gripe was all the "cheap" deaths like a gank squad from the sky behind you that you have no possible way to know about until you die the first time. Also the silliness of regular mace being the best weapon in the whole game

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Vendrick's pretty easy, just tedious. Don't remember too much in DS2 being incredibly difficult like certain fights in DS, Ds3, or Bloodborne.

Biggest gripe was all the "cheap" deaths like a gank squad from the sky behind you that you have no possible way to know about until you die the first time. Also the silliness of regular mace being the best weapon in the whole game

I used mace for about the first half of the game. Definitely the best starting weapon. Fire Longsword is better in some situations, like Rotten. Also the main issue with mace is the incredibly short range. Eventually I got a Crypt Blacksword and that's a lot of fun, but woe if you miss.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Greatsword for me. Slayed my way to victory.

• 2Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking of pains in the ass, is the Shrine of Amana the worst area in the entire Soulsborne series or what? Good God. I've been through the second part (of 3) so many times now that most of the enemies stopped spawning. Now I'm trying to get that one Estus Shard off to the side, which requires carrying a torch so I can see where it's safe to walk, which means I can't block/fight very well when things jump out at me, which means just running down that one peninsula is awful.
Shrine of Amana with the right setup is one of the best farming spots in the game. Some of the best caster gear, twinkling titanite, and assorted other goodies abound there. Trick is to make it to the campfire right before the Song Demon and start the farm from that direction.

Vendrick you just need to get the other giant souls and circle to the right. Don't get greedy and don't let him pin himself to a wall. Also, unless you are build around lightning whatever non elemental hard hitter works best.

Last time I played DS2, I cheesed the shit out of it by using a Bonfire Esthetic to get the MLGS on my INT build guy. Magic WTFPWNS so much of the pre-DLC DS2 that its not even funny. Plus the MLGS has the nice Ultra moveset with very little encumbrance compared to other Ultra Greatswords. It's not for everyone, but if you are just cheesing it to blow through the game, its probably the easiest way to one shot just about everything after you get it (use BK Halberd on the spider boss on NG+ to trivialize that fight and hold a torch in the shield hand so the fucking spiders avoid you. Once you hit the DLC, you will want to change it up a tad for some parts, but by then you are swimming in good alternatives that work nicely for a INT/Dark setup.

But outside the bullshit run to the two snowdog fight in DS2 DLC, the most frustrating area ever is the fucking decent to fight Gravelord Nito in DS1. Cheap as shit falls, monsters all over the fucking place that overpower you or chain push you off the ledge, and dark as all fuck. Place is beyond frustrating unless you know the game well enough to dump 30 souls into chaos to get the grub helmet first. Rest of the game is a fucking cake walk in comparison. And thats ignoring the fucking farming to get a holy weapon to actually kill skellies and long crawl through bullshit just to get to that part of the run. Fortunately Nito himself is a pussy once you know the trick to beating him, but the run to get there is sadistic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Shrine of Amana with the right setup is one of the best farming spots in the game. Some of the best caster gear, twinkling titanite, and assorted other goodies abound there. Trick is to make it to the campfire right before the Song Demon and start the farm from that direction.

Vendrick you just need to get the other giant souls and circle to the right. Don't get greedy and don't let him pin himself to a wall. Also, unless you are build around lightning whatever non elemental hard hitter works best.

Last time I played DS2, I cheesed the shit out of it by using a Bonfire Esthetic to get the MLGS on my INT build guy. Magic WTFPWNS so much of the pre-DLC DS2 that its not even funny. Plus the MLGS has the nice Ultra moveset with very little encumbrance compared to other Ultra Greatswords. It's not for everyone, but if you are just cheesing it to blow through the game, its probably the easiest way to one shot just about everything after you get it (use BK Halberd on the spider boss on NG+ to trivialize that fight and hold a torch in the shield hand so the fucking spiders avoid you. Once you hit the DLC, you will want to change it up a tad for some parts, but by then you are swimming in good alternatives that work nicely for a INT/Dark setup.

But outside the bullshit run to the two snowdog fight in DS2 DLC, the most frustrating area ever is the fucking decent to fight Gravelord Nito in DS1. Cheap as shit falls, monsters all over the fucking place that overpower you or chain push you off the ledge, and dark as all fuck. Place is beyond frustrating unless you know the game well enough to dump 30 souls into chaos to get the grub helmet first. Rest of the game is a fucking cake walk in comparison. And thats ignoring the fucking farming to get a holy weapon to actually kill skellies and long crawl through bullshit just to get to that part of the run. Fortunately Nito himself is a pussy once you know the trick to beating him, but the run to get there is sadistic.

I completely missed the MLGS in both this and the previous SOTFS run. I might go get it just to see what it's like in this game. Sounds like a good thing to pair with Crystal Magic Weapon. I've gone with a Dark Crypt Blacksword for my greatsword needs and it unleashes hell with Hexer stats and the Dark Weapon enchant. However, even with this build I've found myself using the Fire Longsword (w/ Fire Weapon) and Lightning Red Iron Twinblade (w/ Sunlight Weapon) pretty often as well, depending on what I'm fighting.

I know what you mean about Shrine of Amana being easier in reverse. Once I finally got to that third bonfire, I went back and farmed the mages and was amazed at how much easier it was from that path. The problem is that damn fog door would always get me killed if I tried to sprint through to the bonfire, and fighting those last few mages was like goddamn 'Nam. I only got through it by dying so many times that their numbers gradually thinned out.

Done with NG and 84% of trophies. Still need the "collect NPCs" trophy (killed one who I didn't realize was required yet because I wanted their drops) and the Navlaan spells (messed that up too). Then NG++ for the chancellor spell cleanup.

Weird thing is that Aldia showed up at the end of my game and I had to fight it. I thought that fight was only in SOTFS? Caught me completely off-guard.

What's the trick to beating Nito?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I completely missed the MLGS in both this and the previous SOTFS run. I might go get it just to see what it's like in this game. Sounds like a good thing to pair with Crystal Magic Weapon. I've gone with a Dark Crypt Blacksword for my greatsword needs and it unleashes hell with Hexer stats and the Dark Weapon enchant. However, even with this build I've found myself using the Fire Longsword (w/ Fire Weapon) and Lightning Red Iron Twinblade (w/ Sunlight Weapon) pretty often as well, depending on what I'm fighting.

I know what you mean about Shrine of Amana being easier in reverse. Once I finally got to that third bonfire, I went back and farmed the mages and was amazed at how much easier it was from that path. The problem is that damn fog door would always get me killed if I tried to sprint through to the bonfire, and fighting those last few mages was like goddamn 'Nam. I only got through it by dying so many times that their numbers gradually thinned out.

Done with NG and 84% of trophies. Still need the "collect NPCs" trophy (killed one who I didn't realize was required yet because I wanted their drops) and the Navlaan spells (messed that up too). Then NG++ for the chancellor spell cleanup.

Weird thing is that Aldia showed up at the end of my game and I had to fight it. I thought that fight was only in SOTFS? Caught me completely off-guard.

What's the trick to beating Nito?
Nito just run straight at him and swing away, if below 75% health think about healing. If you straight in front most of his attacks miss, big wide swing weapons will also hit the skeletons. Kind of just have to poise tank him, he should only get off 1 big AoE this way.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished Demon souls this weekend. That's all 5 "SOULS" games done ! (i count BB)
I never thought i would beat the first one let alone them all.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished Demon souls this weekend. That's all 5 "SOULS" games done ! (i count BB)
I never thought i would beat the first one let alone them all.

I know what you mean, I never thought I'd beat Bloodborne let alone plat it. I also count it as a Souls. Wish Sekiro were more Souls-like, still have to play that one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I know what you mean, I never thought I'd beat Bloodborne let alone plat it. I also count it as a Souls. Wish Sekiro were more Souls-like, still have to play that one.
I couldn't get into Sekiro. The combat was to restrictive. Only certain moves worked at certain times. I hate that shit.

• 2Solidarity