Darkest Dungeon 2 (Epic store for early access - 1.0 on other platforms as well)

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I thought I had until the npc fired offset a "misstep" and my solo, til then it had been following a common structure: intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo.
I tried a bunch of options but it doesn't seem to follow any common music composition. Even this video makes no sense.

NM I got it, just followed what you put above.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I tried a bunch of options but it doesn't seem to follow any common music composition. Even this video makes no sense.

NM I got it, just followed what you put above.
Looking at that video, and what I experienced. I would say that if the npc does Misstep, you do Solo, and if the npc does Solo, you can finish it with Finale.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Died in the first zone after the inn on the first run, second run I completed the boss at the mountain, lost one person. Got to level 9 and unlocked 3 characters immediately. Think I got lucky with rng perks. Also skipped a lot of battles and never went further than the first fight of the challenge dungeons. Picked hope as the reward for all zone quests that I could.

Overall I really like it.

A+ style
A+ Wayne
A+ game mechanics in terms of affinity / inns
A+ turn based combat. Same good stuff as before
B- Wagon steering
D Feeling of "progress". I enjoyed the hub and building it out in the first one. No urgency of characters. They die, run is over, reqruit a new one and start run over. I liked building my roster, tweaking perks and such, even by taking some people to certain zones hoping for diseases / traits that were there to lock them in.

Current only F
While the actual mechanics of the traits and unity between characters are great, they need to tone down the affinity spam. Once you get some sort of affinity between all characters, be it positive or negative, it triggers all...the...time... Certainly not something people who found the combat animations to take too long will like. This needs tuning somehow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The pure RNG nature of some of the Story events for characters skills got old VERY fast. The 2nd graverobber one is shit, just rng whether you make it through or not, failed about 4 times now. Zero reasons for these to not give a skill since you're required to do the encounter.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm getting my ass handed to me not even halfway thru the 1st coach ride. Did I miss something?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm getting my ass handed to me not even halfway thru the 1st coach ride. Did I miss something?
First run is the hardest due to not having many Mastery points spent, though your team is probably the best. Use the Graverobber to DoT everything you are focusing on.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Died in the first zone after the inn on the first run, second run I completed the boss at the mountain, lost one person. Got to level 9 and unlocked 3 characters immediately. Think I got lucky with rng perks. Also skipped a lot of battles and never went further than the first fight of the challenge dungeons. Picked hope as the reward for all zone quests that I could.

Overall I really like it.

A+ style
A+ Wayne
A+ game mechanics in terms of affinity / inns
A+ turn based combat. Same good stuff as before
B- Wagon steering
D Feeling of "progress". I enjoyed the hub and building it out in the first one. No urgency of characters. They die, run is over, reqruit a new one and start run over. I liked building my roster, tweaking perks and such, even by taking some people to certain zones hoping for diseases / traits that were there to lock them in.

Current only F
While the actual mechanics of the traits and unity between characters are great, they need to tone down the affinity spam. Once you get some sort of affinity between all characters, be it positive or negative, it triggers all...the...time... Certainly not something people who found the combat animations to take too long will like. This needs tuning somehow.
Interesting how close our experiences have been. I got my ass handed to me first attempt but completed the mountain boss fight in my third run (blind, no research online). I also like a lot of the same things you do but also really miss the hub building.

In my view the lack of hub building really messes with the risk v reward. It is rarely ever a good idea to court fights for loot - since none of the trinkets or people stay long-term the only real motivation is to see how far you can get.

I don't think my run was RNG dependent. My strategy was basically:

1. Ounce of prevention.
2. Use consumables literally every chance I get. No use or need to hoard them.
3. Use synergies once you get additional masteries.
4. Avoid any optional fights.
5. Whatever That Tombstone Skill Is You Unlock For Grave Robber - that skill is super OP once it gets Heal.

I'm actually kind of glad I "beat" the EA so early; now I can just focus on fucking around with all the new characters I've unlocked and developing character stories.

Good times. Miss the creepy hub building.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
First run is the hardest due to not having many Mastery points spent, though your team is probably the best. Use the Graverobber to DoT everything you are focusing on.

Also use him to destress the party every chance you can

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Unlocked rewards just get added to the pool of loot and vendors.

I've had a lot of fun with this. First run after unlocking the leper I managed to finally get to the mountain and beat it on the first run. The synergy between the jester and the leper is a game-changer. Not sure how much I'll continue to play this until they release more content, but this sure looks promising.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah shelved it until for launch, I know I will enjoy it just don’t want to burn out on something that is only 20% complete content wise.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
What else are they planning on adding? I've only watched a little bit of people playing on twitch so I don't know what all there is to do but it seems a lot less to do than the original.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What else are they planning on adding? I've only watched a little bit of people playing on twitch so I don't know what all there is to do but it seems a lot less to do than the original.

More "run" versions, but not sure if they have said anything about what, if anything, changes with those. It starts with Denial. I assume that it is a reference to the five stages of grief, so Denial (and isolation) followed by Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Most likely each run is the same type of going towards the mountain, but with different bosses at the end.

Current progression is unlocking new items (and classes) which can appear in your run + adding the new skills to the characters. Other than that each run is completely independent. While you do level up skills by doing the story for the classes, it does feel odd as you get a personal story level up, die horribly, then next character progresses for the next story part. There really isn't any attachment to anything at all.

Something they could do that would at least add some meaning to naming characters or feeling like they completed something is if you complete a run in one act, the characters that survive could be chosen for the pool of characters for the next level run. Or at least be added to a random pool. Would add some incentive to building them and going to hospitals, removing traits and the likes. Say you're struggling in the Bargaining level, then when starting a run you randomly get a previously upgraded character that survived the first two runs and has the mastery points that you gave it. Once they die in a run though, they are deleted from the pool. Would give some incentive to going back and completing the previous run levels as well to build up a possible roster of characters.

Curious how they will do it. Currently it's kind of bare bones if characters only have one level for skills, with no armour or weapon unlocks, then deleted as you start a new run. With no progression, why would you ever run Denial again after you unlock the next tier?

Unless they plan to make you always start in Denial, and the rest are acts that follow until you either complete all of them or wipe.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ll be curious to read how this turned out in 1.0. In the past I read nothing but complaints that it didn’t hold up to the first one in terms of gameplay. Short runs versus the long playing aspect of the first. Same classes and abilities.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The incremental updates using all the same currency is going to take a while. Feels like I am going to be sticking with the same team to make any progress.

Last edited: