Darkest Dungeon

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Does locking positive traits prevent them from being swapped after you reach 5 traits?
Yes, that's the only purpose of locking traits.

You can also remove locked negative traits but it costs a lot more, or there are some curios in the maps that will remove a random negative trait if you use the right item.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Love this game. So many different ways to make a run and unless you lose your entire party you always come out ahead assuming you don't break the bank on buying supplies for a run. Last night I started zero torch runs for short quests using heroes fresh off the stage coach. Started having to be picky on the loot I managed to get. And if a Hero gets afflicted or dies... oh well.

Glad I didn't go through EA and what I hear were some serious nerfs to various classes. Probably would have soured me along the way.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Took some excellent advice and now I'm rolling in cash and upgrades. I thought running without torches would be much harder than it actually is. I was keeping my torch above 79 at all times before today. But playing with 0 torches isn't bad at all. Even when it gives me full light after a quest or camp or whatever, I immediately snuff it out. Those extra loots are crazy. I'm at like 67k gold atm and nobody has died. Picked up 3 Very Rare trinkets as well. I still lost to The Collector when I ran into him again, was really annoying. I don't understand how it's possible. It was a Veteran Collector but my team was level 3/3/3/2 and my Crusader had a +20% Stun Skill chance and still no luck. I was Crusader/Graverobber/Jester/Vestal. People say to just ignore the Vestal/Man at Arms dude, but it's impossible because of Guard. Is it possible to roll no Highwaymen? Must have went through 12 collect calls and they all had at least 1. I just simply can't out damage the heals and outheal the damage from Highwayman and Life Steal. Ugh. Btw, is there any point to spamming W hoping you find a secret room? Or is it only possible to find them once they've been revealed by a map or whatever?

If you haven't done no torch runs before I highly recommend it. I just trained a couple movement abilities in case I get ambushed/surprised, but more often than not, my enemies are surprised when I have no torch (I thought it was the opposite!). What do I do with all this cash though? I've been training the stuff that reduces the cost of weapon/armor upgrades and skill upgrades. I think I have more than I need now. I still haven't been able to beat the first Veteran dungeon though (level 3 one this time), which annoys me. Got close though. Also got owned by 8 Pounder Cannon boss twice before giving up for now. I did manage the Hag tho. The game gets much easier once you get past the learning curve, and also more fun. I can however, see myself getting bored of the grind eventually, but right now I'm still having a blast. I've had 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days and 2 nights because I just can't stop playing haha. Gotta try not to burn myself out. Won't be playing during the weekend though so I should be reinvigorated by Monday. Fuckin' love this game.

Does anyone know which class was designed by the top kickstarter donater? Was curious about that. I never played before release, but I do see what some of you are saying about classes that were overnerfed. It's very clear which classes have been nerfed and I hope they balance that out a bit. This game reminds me of Diablo 2 a lot in how innovative you can be with your builds/teams, which is fucking awesome. They were idiots to mostly do away with that in D3. Has anyone tried 2 Lepers and 2 Houndsmasters? I love how they can both heal and stress heal themselves. Seems like it'd be a fun combo. What are the strangest/coolest combos you guys have played with?

Thanks again for the great advice!

Oh and P.S. how is food consumption decided? Sometimes I'll be on a run with nobody that has a negative trait that makes them eat more food and no trinkets that do so either and yet I'll literally eat twice in two rooms? Wtf? Also had a Houndsmaster randomly steal meat from a carcass (guess that is a hidden character trait? Which I like actually, reminds me of all the hidden shit in EQ you had to discover and learn for yourself. I prefer that stuff more than the overly clear detailed stuff. Mystery and learning unique interesting hidden things is a lot of fun. I also don't understand how you can consume 12 food during a camp and then 2 seconds after the camp be hungry. Alright sorry long post, I just love this fucking game! I can't believe all the massively negative reviews on steam.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I saw someone running Hellion, 2 Abominations and one ,uhm, Witchdoctor guy (stun, blight, little heal). You need a bit of speed then you stun everything and stack up blight. It is fun to play. Just massive CC and Dot damage. I killed some Boss with it. Siren I think.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Glad I didn't go through EA and what I hear were some serious nerfs to various classes. Probably would have soured me along the way.
Before I got this game I read some real desperate comments in the reviews. People were like, "I finally figured out XYZ, but then they changed ABC, fuck this game and fuck the people who make it." I think the game is remarkably well balanced so far. I mean you never get to the point where you are like... pfft this is face mash easy mode. There is always a chance you can get screwed. And the leveling tiers are great in that they keep each stage of the game playable and challenging.

I am currently trying to make myself an immortal or two. I need jesters or crusaders with the +10% deathblow resistance trait. There are some trinkets that when paired with that trait will net a deathblow resistance of 101%. 67% base + 10% Trait + 12% Martyr's Seal + 12% from either class's Very Rare trinket.

Deathblow immunity should make them imortal, unless I am missing something and certain attacks have built in -deathblow resist modifiers. If not, than nothing else really matters at that point. They will be stressed and insane as hell, starving, wallowing in darkness, diseased, and dying... but they will crush everything with +75% damage... unless they get that shitty weak grip on life trait.

calla_sl

shitlord
Took some excellent advice and now I'm rolling in cash and upgrades. I thought running without torches would be much harder than it actually is. I was keeping my torch above 79 at all times before today. But playing with 0 torches isn't bad at all. Even when it gives me full light after a quest or camp or whatever, I immediately snuff it out. Those extra loots are crazy. I'm at like 67k gold atm and nobody has died. Picked up 3 Very Rare trinkets as well. I still lost to The Collector when I ran into him again, was really annoying. I don't understand how it's possible. It was a Veteran Collector but my team was level 3/3/3/2 and my Crusader had a +20% Stun Skill chance and still no luck. I was Crusader/Graverobber/Jester/Vestal. People say to just ignore the Vestal/Man at Arms dude, but it's impossible because of Guard. Is it possible to roll no Highwaymen? Must have went through 12 collect calls and they all had at least 1. I just simply can't out damage the heals and outheal the damage from Highwayman and Life Steal. Ugh. Btw, is there any point to spamming W hoping you find a secret room? Or is it only possible to find them once they've been revealed by a map or whatever?

If you haven't done no torch runs before I highly recommend it. I just trained a couple movement abilities in case I get ambushed/surprised, but more often than not, my enemies are surprised when I have no torch (I thought it was the opposite!). What do I do with all this cash though? I've been training the stuff that reduces the cost of weapon/armor upgrades and skill upgrades. I think I have more than I need now. I still haven't been able to beat the first Veteran dungeon though (level 3 one this time), which annoys me. Got close though. Also got owned by 8 Pounder Cannon boss twice before giving up for now. I did manage the Hag tho. The game gets much easier once you get past the learning curve, and also more fun. I can however, see myself getting bored of the grind eventually, but right now I'm still having a blast. I've had 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days and 2 nights because I just can't stop playing haha. Gotta try not to burn myself out. Won't be playing during the weekend though so I should be reinvigorated by Monday. Fuckin' love this game.

Does anyone know which class was designed by the top kickstarter donater? Was curious about that. I never played before release, but I do see what some of you are saying about classes that were overnerfed. It's very clear which classes have been nerfed and I hope they balance that out a bit. This game reminds me of Diablo 2 a lot in how innovative you can be with your builds/teams, which is fucking awesome. They were idiots to mostly do away with that in D3. Has anyone tried 2 Lepers and 2 Houndsmasters? I love how they can both heal and stress heal themselves. Seems like it'd be a fun combo. What are the strangest/coolest combos you guys have played with?

Thanks again for the great advice!

Oh and P.S. how is food consumption decided? Sometimes I'll be on a run with nobody that has a negative trait that makes them eat more food and no trinkets that do so either and yet I'll literally eat twice in two rooms? Wtf? Also had a Houndsmaster randomly steal meat from a carcass (guess that is a hidden character trait? Which I like actually, reminds me of all the hidden shit in EQ you had to discover and learn for yourself. I prefer that stuff more than the overly clear detailed stuff. Mystery and learning unique interesting hidden things is a lot of fun. Alright sorry long post, I just love this fucking game! I can't believe all the massively negative reviews on steam.

I'd say keep saving until you've gotten most of the estates upgraded. you're going to need a ton of money locking in good quirks and healing bad quirks.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea. It's so expensive that you need to be pretty picky with it though. I typically only lock in +5 dodge, +3 crit melee/ranged or +10melee/ranged damaged really, anything else seems not worth it. Unsure on how fated actually works or if it's worth keeping at all.
I also like 10% prot, The way the game rounds it negates so much damage over the course of a run.

Fun fact: You can't get surprised by a fight you've scouted. So always have an explorer of the area in your party, and best give him the scouting +10% book.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I also like 10% prot, The way the game rounds it negates so much damage over the course of a run.

Fun fact: You can't get surprised by a fight you've scouted. So always have an explorer of the area in your party, and best give him the scouting +10% book.
What makes someone an explorer? The 10% scouting trait?

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Scouting is also wonderful for the secret rooms, which provide legendary trinkets and/or up to 3 2500 gold gems.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Graverobbers once again are the kings. They have an ancestral trinket with +30 scouting, +speed, +crit, +trap disarm on it and the only negative is some extra food consumption. And yes, scouting is godlike, use the bonuses for it while camping unless you're going directly in to a boss and want the buffs.

Pancreas your immortal idea sort of works. The game doesn't have any 100% chances through so it'll always fail 1/10. Same goes with accuracy, it always caps out at 90% chance to sit and you'll fumble 1/10 and get misses.

The only nerfing from early access that really bothers me in the highway man. I just see no reason to use him anymore as he's basically inferior to graverobber in every way now. Grapeshot has such a huge -damage/-minus crit that it hits for like 1-3 in veteran/champion dungeons even with good trinket support. Open vein has a big -damage on it and a not great bleed, duelists advance also has a -damage for some fucking reason. Point blank shot is great until veteran/champion where nearly everything in enemy position 1 has huge prot and you're wasting your time attacking it instead of the back line. Pistol shot is sort of okay due to the crit modified, but again why the fuck does literally everything he do have to have -damage on it? He's got good trinkets at least I guess?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am holding out and hoping this comes out on IOS. I want to play some mobile Dankest Dungeon.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Highway man is still good. His bleed is great and base attack that will crit for 50+. I keep him front row for quick strong and accurate melee dmg. Just bring him when blight isn't an option. That said he is no where near as strong as he used to be.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What makes someone an explorer? The 10% scouting trait?
scrounger is 10%, explorer is 20%.

I'm now at week 43, half my barracks is rank 5 and I can only upgrade weapons to 4/3

This is getting close with 4 orange bosses to go.. I might end up with all 5s and one boss remaining.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
TB did a WTF now that it's out of early access.

Stream play.
Haha damn I didn't know you could get extra loot by putting a key on a chest. Also didn't realize you could move more than 1 position at once in combat, that should help a bit!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Haha damn I didn't know you could get extra loot by putting a key on a chest. Also didn't realize you could move more than 1 position at once in combat, that should help a bit!
And Oh lordy, never put a torch on a stack of books. That shit gives you like 80 stress. I got the stack of books confused with the bookshelf ffs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Only some classes can move more than 1 space at a time.

Almost every object has a key item(s) that change the interaction. It's almost always a positive change, but there are definitely one or two that fuck you like books and I think the pig altars? Can't remember.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I restarted using the advice here to upgrade the Wagon Network first, and it feels like this run will go way smoother. Have 15 slots, 2 Vestal, 2 Man at Arms, 2 Graverobbers, 2 Hellion etc now. Can't wait to try out the Grave Robbers tonight.

My 2nd or 3rd run I accidentally forgot torches so ended up as a dark run....mad loots! Got a Very Rare Trinket on that run too. Oh, and I ran into The Collector.