Darwin Nominees and Award winners

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had to run this back and forth in my head several times before it finally processed because it sounds so ludicrous.

The dude cut off the flooring he was STANDING ON and fell to his death?

Yes just like the cartoons. Standing on a platform. Pushed about grating out about 4 feet of it stuck off the platform, out of about a 20 foot piece. Walked out on to it and then turned back towards the platform and cut the grating in half. Leaving the part he was standing on to fall 80 feet along with him. I saw it just as someone started yelling at him to stop. Dad had drawn it and had to testify in the lawsuit that was it was common to leave off certain holes (penetrations) to be cut in the field since they aren't normally shown on the engineering drawings from 30 years ago and stuff has changed.

Guys take one of a 3/4" rod that is 40 foot long and thread one end of it to be used as sag rods and such. There's a clamp to hold the rod but guys get lazy. The weight of the other end lets it droop down to the floor and keeps it from spinning. Normally. Saw a guy get caught up in the spinning rod in the threading machine when it caught his jacket. Luckily someone was able to turn the power off pretty quickly. He was just going round and round getting the shit beat out of him each time turn.

Shortly after they had a day long training class...on how to turn off the power of runaway machines. I asked why not 5 minutes of learning to how to use the equipment so it doesn't have to be shut down in a hurry. Can't have that kind of attitude sir lol.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes just like the cartoons. Standing on a platform. Pushed about grating out about 4 feet of it stuck off the platform, out of about a 20 foot piece. Walked out on to it and then turned back towards the platform and cut the grating in half. Leaving the part he was standing on to fall 80 feet along with him. I saw it just as someone started yelling at him to stop. Dad had drawn it and had to testify in the lawsuit that was it was common to leave off certain holes (penetrations) to be cut in the field since they aren't normally shown on the engineering drawings from 30 years ago and stuff has changed.

Guys take one of a 3/4" rod that is 40 foot long and thread one end of it to be used as sag rods and such. There's a clamp to hold the rod but guys get lazy. The weight of the other end lets it droop down to the floor and keeps it from spinning. Normally. Saw a guy get caught up in the spinning rod in the threading machine when it caught his jacket. Luckily someone was able to turn the power off pretty quickly. He was just going round and round getting the shit beat out of him each time turn.

Shortly after they had a day long training class...on how to turn off the power of runaway machines. I asked why not 5 minutes of learning to how to use the equipment so it doesn't have to be shut down in a hurry. Can't have that kind of attitude sir lol.

Wile-E.-Coyote-holdign-sign.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Borzak

Seeing that tree reminds me that they call a lot of trees standing on a logging site, widow makers for a reason. Also reason why in the southeast US the only chainsaw on a logging site is usually in the cab of the loader to be used if a tree is too long when loaded, the rest is all machinery and guys sit in a well protected cabin.

Oddly enough it worked out really well for the erector. The company stopped doing steel erection and went into the utility trailer making business. He hires day labor on work release from the parish jail and did a free trailer for LSU. The one that they haul around "Mike the Tiger" at football games for free advertising. Him and his brother are multi multi millionaires many times over now oddly enough.

Dad just told me maybe it's me. He's been in this business for 50 years. I've been in it 25 years. All the people that both of us know that got seriously hurt in all that time were within a few feet of me at the time. Thinking.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oddly enough it worked out really well for the erector. The company stopped doing steel erection and went into the utility trailer making business. He hires day labor on work release from the parish jail and did a free trailer for LSU. The one that they haul around "Mike the Tiger" at football games for free advertising. Him and his brother are multi multi millionaires many times over now oddly enough.

Dad just told me maybe it's me. He's been in this business for 50 years. I've been in it 25 years. All the people that both of us know that got seriously hurt in all that time were within a few feet of me at the time. Thinking.

I mean my dad managed to break both elbows, his nose, and crack a couple ribs falling through a roof many years ago. They were salvaging insulation from the roof of a k-mart when he backed into a hole that firefighters had cut during practice in the building. Fell 20-30 feet and had to stagger out mostly blind without getting crushed by one of the bulldozers. I actually drove by within minutes of it happening but didn't find out until an hour or two later.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

I rather walk a 4" wide beam with limited tie offs than dick with a roof. I always let someone who claims to be a professional deal with. Shit scares me more than hanging by a life line on a steel structure. I don't know why. They always seem to collapse and such.

Guy I work with is a detailer (steel draftsman) and he fell thru a skylight at shop with a 40' foot ceiling. He was up working on the gutter when they had a bad leak out of nowhere. He fell onto thos steel rollers they push beams on in a shop. I was in the office at the time. They sent a helicopter to life flight him to the hospital. He says the EMS people in the helicopter asked him if he had a preference to what hospital to go to. Always seemed odd to me. They sent the helicopter to avoid the MS river bridge traffic and he was 5 minutes away or less across the river with the helicopter. While he was recovering with a broken back he decided to become a draftsman instead of a fitter and no longer works in the shop. Bad back but it worked out for him. I know exactly how much he makes and he went from $20/hour fitter to $150k/year detailer. Took a while tho.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ed (the owner of the company at the time) never gave half a shit about OSHA regulations and you'd probably shit yourself if you saw some of the shit they did without any kind of safety measures at all.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
They sent a helicopter to life flight him to the hospital. He says the EMS people in the helicopter asked him if he had a preference to what hospital to go to. Always seemed odd to me.

When there's multiple level "X" hospitals nearby, medics are supposed to ask if you have a preference instead of assuming or recommending a specific one.

My partner and I got in trouble once because we used to always shit-talk one of the hospitals and always took people to the other one unless they specifically requested a different hospital.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The hospital that we DID shit talk was fucking garbage, by the way. Retard nurses, practically zero CNAs, and they had a single outstanding doctor and the rest were complete cockbags. That hospital shut down about 18 months ago.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
no it's Darwin

is there more to this story? do ppl just reguarly leave spaghetti out on the counter for 5 days, like you made a big pot of spaget on Sunday, eat it, wrap it film and just leave it on the countertop for five days to heat it up on friday to feast?

Some people do. I wouldn't believe it but I have seen my brother eat some gross shit. lol.

• 1Like

Borzak

When there's multiple level "X" hospitals nearby, medics are supposed to ask if you have a preference instead of assuming or recommending a specific one.

My partner and I got in trouble once because we used to always shit-talk one of the hospitals and always took people to the other one unless they specifically requested a different hospital.

Ok good to know. Seems like I knew that before but he says it's the only thing he remembers that day. Not falling, not getting on the roof, but being asked the question. He's since got religion and says he can't repeat what he answered.

Growing up I carried a card in my wallet and was always told to tell the ambulance "Don't take me to charity" (Earl K. Long) which is the free/low income/99% ghetto hospital at the time in Baton Rouge. They since closed it down and contracted it out to another hospital.

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Growing up I carried a card in my wallet and was always told to tell the ambulance "Don't take me to charity" (Earl K. Long) which is the free/low income/99% ghetto hospital at the time in Baton Rouge. They since closed it down and contracted it out to another hospital.

• 1Like

Borzak

When Don Lemon of CNN bitched about growing up poor in Baton Rouge and being born in the womans hospital that's when I knew he was full of shit. If his family had been really poor he would have been born at Earl K. Long the charity hospital. It closed down and is now a KMart I think. The womans hospital across the street closed down and became the BR police department since it was now super convenient right there across from Earl K. Long lol.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
When Don Lemon of CNN bitched about growing up poor in Baton Rouge and being born in the womans hospital that's when I knew he was full of shit. If his family had been really poor he would have been born at Earl K. Long the charity hospital. It closed down and is now a KMart I think. The womans hospital across the street closed down and became the BR police department since it was now super convenient right there across from Earl K. Long lol.
Good ole killer k. Convenient to strip clubs, ghetto bars and TG&Y. I do not miss living in Baton Rouge.

• 1Like

Borzak

Snapchat your attempt at playing chicken. Die in a crash driving in the wrong lane. Darwin wins again. Luckily it didn't kill the people shit hit.

Police said on Tuesday they are now investigating reports that the young woman may have been playing 'chicken' with other drivers on the road.

• 2Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

Snapchat your attempt at playing chicken. Die in a crash driving in the wrong lane. Darwin wins again. Luckily it didn't kill the people shit hit.

Police said on Tuesday they are now investigating reports that the young woman may have been playing 'chicken' with other drivers on the road.
Seriously this generation of z or whatever. Fucking needs to be wiped out.

• 2Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And who the fuck is giving them money on gofundme? Fucking retards. Dig a hole and throw her in.

I have less than zero tolerance for people doing shit like this.

• 3Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
That should sate the mighty fire goddess for at least a few months. Right Zapatta Zapatta ?
Man falls from cliff into Kilauea volcano's caldera, officials say

“The man had just climbed over a permanent metal railing at the Steaming Bluff overlook to get closer to the cliff edge,” park officials said.
A search for the fallen man ensued and resulted in his rescue more than two hours later, according to the news release. He was found “on a narrow ledge about 70 feet down from the cliff edge,” officials said. He was airlifted to receive medical treatment.

• 2Like