Dave Chappelle

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my bucket list of concert venues isnt too big. Just Wembley Stadium is left. i already did all the NYC ones before they closed down. i also did The Roxy and Rainbow Bar n Grill in LA. maybe Gilleys in Texas would be fun to see. Hollywood Bowl i cant think of any famous concerts there, maybe Bugs Bunny conducted an orchestra there? :p

joz123

Potato del Grande
my bucket list of concert venues isnt too big. Just Wembley Stadium is left. i already did all the NYC ones before they closed down. i also did The Roxy and Rainbow Bar n Grill in LA. maybe Gilleys in Texas would be fun to see. Hollywood Bowl i cant think of any famous concerts there, maybe Bugs Bunny conducted an orchestra there? :p
I went to the Hollywood Bowl and saw the Star Wars orchestra. They would play a Star Wars movie on a massive screen and the orchestra played every song.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pfft. I did every single strip club in Miami/Ft Lauderdale metro back in the day. Didn't miss a one.

• 2Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
"At least you got smacked by someone of repute!" Chappelle joked to Rock. "I got smacked by a homeless guy with leaves in his hair."

Dave and Chris showed up at the comedy store last night.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
speech by Chappelle last night at the Mark Twain award for Jon Stewart

• 2Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Amazing speech. Well spoken and seemed from the heart.

Jon's acceptance speech was top notch as well.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Must have been slim pickings for nominations. Wasn't much noteworthy about "The Closer".

Would be funny if the Emmy board specifically picked it because of the outrage. Like some sort of lesson that being the butt of jokes is how society eventually accepts. They didn't, but would be funny.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Must have been slim pickings for nominations. Wasn't much noteworthy about "The Closer".

Would be funny if the Emmy board specifically picked it because of the outrage. Like some sort of lesson that being the butt of jokes is how society eventually accepts. They didn't, but would be funny.
Whats really sad is that it wasn't nearly as good as Sticks and Stones.

• 2Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
I disagree. The Closer is an important statement for current stupidity and examining our society, it's a love letter to a trans person who was ostracized by their own community just for being friends with him. And the outrage afterwards plays right into his message. It asks who is really the problem and points the finger back at them, we have him and Louis CK addressing cancel culture. It's a masterpiece, it just may not be a piece of comedy (much to my dismay).

Christina P Netflix special was pretty good tho, she just calls them all weeping pussies.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps ironic, my wife didn't know who Hannah Gadsby was. Some of you who know of our history in the marriage thread, I was a bit surprised, but I gave a hopefully impartial summary and left it at that. She immediately starts googling some of her work, that one I think, and watches ~5 minutes of it. Amazingly, my wife agrees with me that she's a damaged and traumatized woman with a story to share, but it's not comedy.

Maybe there should be separate category for commentary. TED Talk is what called it when discussing with my wife, but that doesn't sound right either. I think a lot of the disappointment surrounding the The Closer is there just wasn't a lot of jokes. I think Dave's talk at Jon Stewart's award had more laughs/min than The Closer.

But, The Closer was at least well crafted. I agree with the nomination for direction.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I disagree. The Closer is an important statement for current stupidity and examining our society, it's a love letter to a trans person who was ostracized by their own community just for being friends with him. And the outrage afterwards plays right into his message. It asks who is really the problem and points the finger back at them, we have him and Louis CK addressing cancel culture. It's a masterpiece, it just may not be a piece of comedy (much to my dismay).

Christina P Netflix special was pretty good tho, she just calls them all weeping pussies.
I liked it, but felt Sticks and Stones was superior comedy.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
His new "special" on Netflix (What's in a name) is a speech he gave to Ellington.

It's short, but I found it interesting. The guy has a gift when it comes to language.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>