Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Whats good about these movies? I caught the last half of rise and I was loling the entire time similar to 2012.

Inque

FunEmployed
So is there any reference to where the sequel is heading in the third movie, or after credits scenes?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
These movies make me laugh. The original was OK because it was a huge plot twist at the end that made it a decent pay-off. Every one after it... lol.

It'd be like if the sequel to Alien was on the Alien home world and discussed the intricacies of the caste system and the political intrigue with the struggles of the queen to maintain her brood.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
These movies make me laugh. The original was OK because it was a huge plot twist at the end that made it a decent pay-off. Every one after it... lol.

It'd be like if the sequel to Alien was on the Alien home world and discussed the intricacies of the caste system and the political intrigue with the struggles of the queen to maintain her brood.
So in other words: the Starcraft 2 zerg campaign, which did indeed suck.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Movie would have been a decent "Lets turn the brain off and watch some random CGI apes do etc etc etc", but they tacked on 30-45 minutes of unnecessary crap at the beginning, so by the time the movie got decent I was already annoyed.

Also, reminded me why I do not go to the theaters.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's nothing to do with Transformers. Planet of the Apes was sci-fi schlock that worked because it was social commentary amidst a backdrop of nuclear Armageddon with the USSR which supplied the ultimate plot twist. What is the purpose of these movies besides milking the franchise and the 'novelty' of apes and gorillas fighting people?

Let me put it another way: the prequels completely invalidate the point of the originals. They have laughably dumb plot points to advance from point A) to point B). It reminds me of the Star Wars prequels where they have to struggle to shove more shit into the movies to make them 'engaging' to new viewers simply to drag the storyline along to go from a disjointed starting point to the foregone conclusion. *shrug* It's not that they're bad 'action' summer flicks per se but why would I want to see a movie about apes?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, and Battle for the Planet of the Apes, are all mediocre to bad milking endeavors themselves so why get all uppity about the rebooted franchise? There was also a TV showanda cartoon series for fucks sake. After what was done to this poor cow in the 70s it's a goddamn miracle it's still producing milk. This series is The Giving Tree of movie franchises.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, and Battle for the Planet of the Apes, are all mediocre to bad milking endeavors themselves so why get all uppity about the rebooted franchise? There was also a TV showanda cartoon series for fucks sake. After what was done to this poor cow in the 70s it's a goddamn miracle it's still producing milk. This series is The Giving Tree of movie franchises.
Yeah really, that shit was all total schlock.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For the time, considering no one wanted to spend money on a quality Science Fiction movie, they were pretty high minded movies. Slow paced cerebral Science Fiction just does not pull in the money anymore. Its hard for anyone who did not grow up in that time frame to understand why these movies were so popular. Its because they were commenting on a number of social issues fresh in everyone's mind and there simply was nothing like them around.

As for the newer movies, the Wahlberg one was an attempt by Burton to emulate the schlock but not the substance, which is why it failed. The two recent ones are predictable stories, but the real meat is in the nuances and the social commentary, same as what made the originals so phenomenally popular. Having access to insane CGI and being able to do good action sequences certainly helps, but CGI alone does not make for a memorable or even good movie (see Green Lantern, Transcendence, ect.). Even the hugely successful Avatar movie is just about forgotten, outside of some people who jizz over the special effects or who dress up as the aliens at furry conventions, because the acting and story were flat and had zero depth. These films have depth and I think they are going to be popular for a good long while.

Having finally seen the third movie, I enjoyed it a lot, mostly due to the quality of the acting of the monkey characters and the social themes. The biggest complaints I have about it are how criminally under used Gary Oldman was and how little time they spent fleshing out the nature of the human survivor community.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Gary Oldman really could have been anybody in this movie for how central he was to the story. You pay that Gary Oldman money when you want someone to bring a performance to life, this.... was not that. I thought both the first one and this one were awesome, and find the ape culture interesting unlike most of the people in this thread.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Saw it yesterday, really loved it. 9/10.

Andy Serkis will probably unfortunately continue on as one of the best unrecognized, but great actors ever. Ceaser was awesome, and what was cool was that a lot of his character was simply expressed through his face. He could speak, yeah, but didn't always do so.

Also the CG on the Apes was insanely good, holy shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the apes were incredible but the film dragged a little bit for me, decent overall

penalty_sl

shitlord
This movie was so bad it almost turned me off from wanting to watch movies anymore.

I don't even know where to start. It was SO. FUCKING. LONG. I thought after the apes attacked they were all going to die and that was going to be a wrap, honestly theres no fucking way they win that battle, they were in a god damn death tunnel being fired on. And that tank part? LOL get fucked, I know I'm supposed to suspend reality but that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Then after that scene, the movie just fucking drags on and on with the ceasar being wounded bullshit. And that main actor guy with his kid, holy fucking cringe factory. Any time his son does something the camera pans to his dad with that curious stupid fuck look on his face as he tried to watch on.

0/10 honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I don't even know where to start. It was SO. FUCKING. LONG. I thought after the apes attacked they were all going to die and that was going to be a wrap, honestly theres no fucking way they win that battle, they were in a god damn death tunnel being fired on. And that tank part? LOL get fucked, I know I'm supposed to suspend reality but that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Then after that scene, the movie just fucking drags on and on with the ceasar being wounded bullshit. And that main actor guy with his kid, holy fucking cringe factory. Any time his son does something the camera pans to his dad with that curious stupid fuck look on his face as he tried to watch on.
Wait are you saying you expected the humans to win or the Apes to win quicker?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
In a movie in which the Apes are already predestined to conquer the world, how many battles do you expect them to focus on showing humans winning? What would the odds be of the Apes winning if on the onset of war, they lost half their population?