Daybreak making new online RPG on UE4.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah but that's the last one. So it's not entirely accurate.

No more expacs

News to me.. It wouldn't surprise me given team size, but at the same time, EQ makes money, so I can't imagine why they'd stop development on it, especially when people buy them.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
News to me.. It wouldn't surprise me given team size, but at the same time, EQ makes money, so I can't imagine why they'd stop development on it, especially when people buy them.

It could be more of a threat to the playerbase saying you better buy this one. But I think anything's possible.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think gaming companies, like every other company, see the storm coming economically. IMO we're just seeing evidence of them buttoning down the hatches and preparing for what is to come.

Get as much money as we can right now because there may not be nearly as much disposable income available next year.

I would credit the shift at Blizzard to something similar. IMO We won't see AAA companies taking any risks whatsoever for the foreseeable future.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I think gaming companies, like every other company, see the storm coming economically. IMO we're just seeing evidence of them buttoning down the hatches and preparing for what is to come.

Get as much money as we can right now because there may not be nearly as much disposable income available next year.

I would credit the shift at Blizzard to something similar. IMO We won't see AAA companies taking any risks whatsoever for the foreseeable future.
Well they shouldn’t have shit on their players and fans with their money raping hidden payment schemes and brought in Marxist bullshit to railroad established franchises. I don’t PC game anymore not because I don’t have money or time. I don’t because they produced nothing but shit for multiple years running while wanting me to spend hundreds on their garbage. Now I play a switch casually and fill the extra time with fucking my
Lady more.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Now I play a switch casually and fill the extra time with fucking my Lady more.

What do you do with the other 23 hours and 58 minutes of your day?

I'm sure you can sneak a LITTLE PC gaming in there!

• 3Like
  • 3Worf

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
If it really is a battle royal game it could hit Diablo Immortal levels of shitfest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Because AAA companies are known for taking risks?

It’s always been and will always be the smaller companies innovating the industry.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
You're right, but EQ:Next was a risky venture even if it had been fully baked by a competent team/designer. Blizzard has been especially risk averse though so your point is well taken. All I'm saying is DBG releasing a Battle Royale game really shouldn't surprise any of us if they think it is a safe way to flip some PS2 assets to capitalize on a fad genre. Same thing with Blizzard trying to tap into the asian mobile market.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You're right, but EQ:Next was a risky venture even if it had been fully baked by a competent team/designer. Blizzard has been especially risk averse though so your point is well taken. All I'm saying is DBG releasing a Battle Royale game really shouldn't surprise any of us if they think it is a safe way to flip some PS2 assets to capitalize on a fad genre. Same thing with Blizzard trying to tap into the asian mobile market.

Blizzard was owned by Vevendi when they were making their Warcraft games and were considered a niche studio. What made them a AAA studio was their wild success on World of Warcraft in 2004.

Since then, they've become a giant after merging with Activision. So, I think context is king when considering what they were when the innovated MMORPG's versus what they became after innovating the space. There's a reason none of the expansions have been innovative and have focuses on forcing players to remain engaged, rather than creating something fun that players choose to engage with.

A focus on fun leads to innovation and potentially big numbers. A focus on numbers lead to commercialization of fun, which is inherently unfun. That latter being the biggest problem with AAA studios, because they have such a big ship to maintain, they don't have the luxury of simply focusing on fun.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Best comment in that section:

"I would of renamed them as Smoke Games and Mirrors Games"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
With any luck, Daybreak Games will sell off which ever subsidiary owns the rights to EverQuest to a company that will actually give two shits about developing the IP further rather than spend all their time and resources making rainbow rabbits.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm sure Darkpaw Studios will live up to fippy's long history of success.

• 1Worf

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Frankly I'm surprised Smed hasn't tried to buy EQ with Bezos bucks yet.

• 2Like

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pantheon launches to huge success and Brad buys Daybreak and saves the EQ franchise and also brings back Vanguard. The end.

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pantheon launches to huge success and Brad buys Daybreak and saves the EQ franchise and also brings back Vanguard. The end.

As the camera pans out you see Brad hooked up to machines in a hospital bed and is in what appears to be a coma. You hear a doctor in the background, "some people just don't know how to handle their drugs" . The camera fades to black as Brad gives a tiny little smirk, his coma filled dream is reality to him now.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
If the EQ brand becomes its own company, that'll be VERY good for those games, because then you won't have management trying to steal EQ1 & EQ2's profits for some other game idea.. They'll be able to actually put that money into the games that earn it.

• 1Like

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, like putting funding into H1Z1......still mad about that. They ruined a goldmine.

• 1Solidarity