DayZ, Arma2, Arma3

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Somewhat entertaining game today. I was fresh spawned and made my way to Electro on a high pop server. As I was running another player came up behind me and started talking to me. He had a mask on, backpack, shovel, clown mask, but no gun on his shoulder so I figured it was safe to stop and chat. I didn't even get out two words when he pulls out a magnum and starts aiming it. I fistrun the fuck outta there as he's yelling to me "I don't have any ammo!" I wasn't going to fall for any bandit shenanigans!

He followed, but he was slow to start and I got a bit of distance on him. I notice as I'm running away that he ducks into a bush on the side of the road. I decided to see if I can flank this guy and maybe give him some punches to the face. I find him prone in a bush, get right on him and punch him in the head until he's goddamn lootable. I jacked all his gear and ran away.

Turned out he was telling the truth... didn't have any ammo.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Adebisi, I found another "The Call of Cthulu" book. This time it is pristine.
biggrin.png

W

Wrathcaster

Somewhat entertaining game today. I was fresh spawned and made my way to Electro on a high pop server. As I was running another player came up behind me and started talking to me. He had a mask on, backpack, shovel, clown mask, but no gun on his shoulder so I figured it was safe to stop and chat. I didn't even get out two words when he pulls out a magnum and starts aiming it. I fistrun the fuck outta there as he's yelling to me "I don't have any ammo!" I wasn't going to fall for any bandit shenanigans!

He followed, but he was slow to start and I got a bit of distance on him. I notice as I'm running away that he ducks into a bush on the side of the road. I decided to see if I can flank this guy and maybe give him some punches to the face. I find him prone in a bush, get right on him and punch him in the head until he's goddamn lootable. I jacked all his gear and ran away.

Turned out he was telling the truth... didn't have any ammo.
Poor guy. He just wanted to put it in his hands
frown.png

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Looks like you guys had some fun, laughed when Jen shot that guy in the face haha, so mean.

And yeah " i got no friends" got me to. Must had been rp'ing or something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm very much enjoying loot by killing strategy. At least as a quick startup for food and drink.

You can even get the drop on decently geared guys if you're sneaky. Fists are OP.

W

Wrathcaster

Is that the standard FOV for DayZ? MAJOR fisheye going on in that video - to the point that I'm almost motion sick from watching it.
It's max FOV setting. I've heard people say the same thing about the effect it has on them, but it helps me immensely in spotting baddies. If/when they implement scopes with mil dots, I'll turn it back down to default so that the ranging formulas will work as intended. It's the reason I played with unaltered FOV in the mod- it would have effectively disabled the default mil dot sniping and ranging. At 600+ meters, especially with non-zeroing rifles (DMR, SVD), it became very, very important to get accurate ranges on targets. For now, however, there's no true ranging system so I prefer to take advantage of better peripheral vision. It makes a huge difference spotting distant targets or targets occluded by buildings or terrain.

On another note, this is how you deal with bandits as a cornered newspawn:

Choose Another Prisoner

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I got the original mod with the humble bundle and logged in for the first time last night. Got on some server where you spawn with a silenced m4 and a silenced M9 and a bunch of other gear...it was...weird. I think I'd almost prefer spawning with nothing.

Def made me want to get the standalone though...I've got the graphics cranked on Arma 2 but the weird depth of field blur thing is fucking with me something fierce.

Oh, and I can not for the life of me figure out how that fucking map works.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Nuthin' wrong with the mod.
smile.png
In fact it's still ahead of SA in terms of content.

Cybsled

If you're going Arma2 Dayz, go with Epoch. It's the most popular one for a reason and it's actually the most MMO-like.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I'm on an epoch server with some people from my gun forum. It's alright, kinda boring though with just us.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Close to getting this. Picked up Rust since it was the cheaper of the two, and it is pretty fun if you are on a dead server (in terms of finding crafting materials). This game just seems like it will be more enjoyable to play, so I can't resist any longer. As soon as I get paid, I will get it and join all of you folks for some shenanigans.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dean "Rocket" Hall, creator of DayZ is doing an AMA today.

I am Dean Hall, Creator of DayZ and submitter of Mount Everest, AMA! : IAmA

Here's one of his comments I found interesting (and helpful, as someone who was on the fence about buying it now):

"I would strongly discourage you from buying the game right now. I would recommend waiting a month and then critically reviewing some positive/negative reviews and deciding then.

The price won't change for the next month, so being cautious is best. The game has a great deal of bad bugs now, these will get much better rapidly."

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I would only 100% recommend the buy if you've been a fan of the mod for some time, so you know what's still in store for the game.

That said - it's still really fun, and exciting to know it can only get better.