DBZ: Battle of the Gods

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is that how Goku always sounds in the Japanese versions? That was pretty ridiculous.

Never saw any of the movies or the GT stuff, I liked the early ones from when Goku was a kid with a tail right up til he fought Buu I think, then I lost track of DBZ.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yeah buu is the end of DBZ. The movies are pretty entertaining, since they aren't crammed with long sections of filler like the series was.

Glory Goose_sl

shitlord
Hoping this isn't the same movie as the last few where everyone other than Goku now is a trash minion until he gets there and takes over the majority of the fighting. Occasionally another character (vegita / gohan / piccolo / gotenks) makes a distraction long enough to power a spirit bomb.

Kind of wish they went with how the Cell saga was turning the show into where Goku was fading out and other characters mattered, but it was like a Final Fantasy game where you lose the main character for one scene. Old news I guess, but just a hope for the movie.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well it is post-Buu where everyone is basically a worthless sack of shit compared to Goku

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hoping this isn't the same movie as the last few where everyone other than Goku now is a trash minion until he gets there and takes over the majority of the fighting. Occasionally another character (vegita / gohan / piccolo / gotenks) makes a distraction long enough to power a spirit bomb.
What?

Movie 7 - The only one that vaguely coincides with your complaint, except Trunks and Vegeta kill Androids 14 and 15 pretty easily once they power up to Super Saiyan. After 13 absorbs parts from 14 and 15, he kicks the crap out of all of them, including Goku, until Goku summons a spirit bomb and absorbs its energy.

Movie 8 - Broly kicks the shit out of all of them, Goku included, until they start feeding Goku their power, which still isn't enough until Vegeta adds his own.

Movie 9 - Goku is dead. He saves Gohan from Bojack and gives him a pep-talk, but this movie is entirely on Gohan. While most of the z-fighters get their asses kicked, Trunks does Kogu in their initial fight, being then surprise KOed by Bojack. Vegeta also goes head to head with Bojack for a bit before being beaten

Movie 10 - Goku still dead. Shows up at the end to help Goten and Gohan, but the work is done by Gohan, Goten, and Trunks.

Movie 11 - Goku still dead. Movie is weird as hell, but iirc Goku doesn't get a cameo for this one, this one is all Goten and Trunks

Movie 12 - SSJ3 Goku is able to defeat fat janemba, both him and vegeta get their asses kicked by super janemba and have to fuse, whereupon the beat him easily.

Movie 13 - They all get their asses variously kicked by Hirudegarn. Gotenks is able to make him take a second form, SSJ3 Goku kills him with a Dragon Fist after Trunks cuts off his tail

So yeah, Goku is the main protagonist of DBZ, it's no big surprise that it would generally come down to him to save the day. The non-saiyan z-fighters are sorta just trash minions, but they've pretty much always been that way throughout the series. Tien and Piccolo have their moments of glory, Piccolo in particular saving Goku and Gohan's lives throughout the series, but it's the saiyans who do all the work.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's one thing I never understood about Japanese voices on DBZ....why the fuck does Goku STILL sound like a 5 year old boy?

Hell, the japanese voice for fucking Naruto sounds older than Goku.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Is that how Goku always sounds in the Japanese versions? That was pretty ridiculous.

Never saw any of the movies or the GT stuff, I liked the early ones from when Goku was a kid with a tail right up til he fought Buu I think, then I lost track of DBZ.
Haha. You prefer the English voices to the Japanese voices? Amazing. Didn't Funimation change voice actors like 3 or 4 times before and during the Namek saga?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Haha. You prefer the English voices to the Japanese voices? Amazing. Didn't Funimation change voice actors like 3 or 4 times before and during the Namek saga?
You prefer the faggoty Japanese voices? Are you gay or something?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
IIRC from my Toonami days the voice actor for Goku changed after the Freeza saga. I don't think it changed prior to that. I also recall preferring the original actor.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
There were 2 different dubs by two different companies? One was referred to as the Ocean dub while the more recent was the Funimation. Always preferred the Ocean due to it being the first time I ever saw DBZ... Then they redubbed over them
frown.png

Funimation - same scene as below at 25th minute

Ocean

Insomnia_sl

shitlord

Kind of wish they went with how the Cell saga was turning the show into where Goku was fading out and other characters mattered, but it was like a Final Fantasy game where you lose the main character for one scene. Old news I guess, but just a hope for the movie.
Why wouldnt this be revolved around Goku? None of his friends besides Vegeta are comparable in strength. If Gohan didnt see his dad die he never wouldve went SSJ2 and Cell would have dominated. But thats where Gohans strength tops out, unlike Goku and Vegeta who can go well beyond that. And seeing how Dragonball/Z/GT are all based on Goku being the main character when he is alive (and really even when he is dead the few times) I dont see why it would change. Goddamn I feel like im 13yrs old again in '99 talking like this. But its my all time favorite anime regardless. I actually have been watching just Dragonball lately, up to ep 129 where Goku is training at Kame's Lookout, loved the original when I was a kid, it used to come on subbed on this channel when we had directv, little did I know it played Z and GT in its entirety right after the original, loved it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why wouldnt this be revolved around Goku? None of his friends besides Vegeta are comparable in strength. If Gohan didnt see his dad die he never wouldve went SSJ2 and Cell would have dominated. But thats where Gohans strength tops out, unlike Goku and Vegeta who can go well beyond that.
Actually, no. 'Mystic' Gohan is almost as powerful as SSJ3 Goku. He's definitely more powerful than Vegeta. SSJ3 Gotenks is stronger than Vegeta as well. Also, Gohan went SSJ2 well before Goku died, Cell stomping on 16s head was what tipped him over the edge. Goku didn't die until transmitting away with Cell just before he self-destructed.

In general you're right though, the series is about Goku and always has been. The other characters get their time to shine, but Goku is the main hero.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cell Saga was supposed to be the end, with Gohan becoming the leader of the "Z Warriors" essentially, but then riots in Japan happened and the government basically forced Toriyama to continue the series (he's said the series was supposed to end with Cell several times). That's when shit got out of hand with SSJ3 and all that crap.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just really impressed with how long it lasted before turning in to every other DBZ discussion ever. "OMG SSJ8H# Wangflop would prawn MysticHangnail Jethroslav!".

It was inevitable, doesn't make it not disappointing when it happens.