DBZ: Battle of the Gods

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They still use it to fill in time and for the specific scene; however, it's not as rampant like it is in the English dub.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Ive heard rumors that Gohan was supposed to be more powerful than everyone else naturally. His time spent training during the cell saga showed that pretty much. Its later in the series that his mom makes him study and basically become a normal person that makes his power level drop and make Goku the big good guy again, but hey whatever its DBZ and who cares, we get to see badass fights and and world destroying power in an awe inspiring way. Im down for whatever as long as it loooks cool.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
tbh I like GT b/c power levels went up so much. I would love to see a fight with a god and ss level 5 or higher. I"ve always been a fan of Vegeta.

and a throw back to one of my fav lines of all time....

"...Are you a god?"

"No"

"Then Die"

"Ray when someone asked are you a god? YOU SAY YES!"

Dumar_sl

shitlord
DB is the best 'modern saga' that I can think of. Maybe outside of some fantasy novels, there's no other story that's really went on so long and is so popular across the world. I don't see how anyone can say it's bad. It's like saying history is bad.

Superman is similar, but Goku would beat the shit outta him obviously, so DB wins.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
If Vegeta could destroy planets why didn't he just destroy the earth? (Didn't him and the bald over 9000 guy blow up a planet while flying in their balls to earth? It's been about 15 years)

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
DB is the best 'modern saga' that I can think of. Maybe outside of some fantasy novels, there's no other story that's really went on so long and is so popular across the world. I don't see how anyone can say it's bad. It's like saying history is bad.

Superman is similar, but Goku would beat the shit outta him obviously, so DB wins.
It's good if your ten, and your brain is filled with fuck.

I definitely watched the shit out of it when I was younger, but I was never delusional about the show being particularly good. Perhaps somewhat novel, as one of the first anime I've ever seen--never been a fan of most anime anyway.

...You know I guess it is good in a turn your brain off and enjoy the bro-opera type of way.

Siliconemelons

I thought the movies all where their own kinda timeline as its very hard to fit some of the events in with the standard show etc- at least thats what I was told in the wayback of movies 1-4ish - I always liked watching just the movies- way less AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH etc

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Probably due to the fact that I was well into my 20s when this stuff came out, but it just never appealed to me. I watched that Superman vs. Goku clip that Urgo linked, and every Dragonball clip used in it just made me want to cringe. I can see how it would be different if I were 8 and just seeing it for the first time, that shit would be awesome. But since I was well beyond that point, I already know I'd never be able to sit down and watch any of it. The "lore" of it has always been somewhat interesting to me though, just from the bits and pieces I pick up here on the boards, so I'd actually be pretty interested in a halfway decently done movie that skipped all the kiddie crap and was mostly badasses fighting. I'll have to watch the recommendations here though to see if it ends up being worth the time to watch.

And not to derail this, but I think the Superman vs. Goku debate will pretty much always come down to how old you were when you learned about each of them. For me there's no question it is Superman (either pre- or post-retcon), but I can see someone that grew up on DBZ with a smattering of Justice League perhaps thinking Goku. Just a sign of the times we grew up in for the most part.

fucker_sl

shitlord
it's not the fact you were 20 years old Vvoid. it's the fact while the manga is pretty cool, the anime is absolute horrible. Basically, they took a story that could easely fit into 70 episodes and streched it to over 400. So you have entire episodes that cover 7 pages of the manga where the characters stay still, taunt each other for 15 minutes. powerup for 5 THEN actually fight for like 2 minutes....fights where you rarely see what the fuck is going on. Or you have dozen of nosense filler episodes that go even against the background and the enstablished powerlevels

i was 13 when the first DBZ episode came out in italy and i was a big fan of the manga at the time. I didnt go past the first dozen episodes because even the little nerd kid i was was cringing most of them time

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ive heard rumors that Gohan was supposed to be more powerful than everyone else naturally. His time spent training during the cell saga showed that pretty much. Its later in the series that his mom makes him study and basically become a normal person that makes his power level drop and make Goku the big good guy again, but hey whatever its DBZ and who cares, we get to see badass fights and and world destroying power in an awe inspiring way. Im down for whatever as long as it loooks cool.
It's why he's chosen to take the Z Sword. He has the most potential in the entire series, Mystic Gohan is that potential realized.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If Vegeta could destroy planets why didn't he just destroy the earth? (Didn't him and the bald over 9000 guy blow up a planet while flying in their balls to earth? It's been about 15 years)
Well, if you ignore Vegeta destroying Planet Arlia so early on in DBZ, the rest of the series is relatively consistent with the amount of power it takes to destroy a planet. Namek takes several minutes to blow up after Frieza blasts it, but it only takes a few seconds for Kid Buu to charge up a blast that destroys a planet instantly.

It's why he's chosen to take the Z Sword. He has the most potential in the entire series, Mystic Gohan is that potential realized.
Alternate theory, he was just the most powerful fighter who was still alive, since Vegeta was dead by that point. It's already been mentioned in the thread, but Toriyama meant for Cell to be the ending of the series. If you really wanted to try and dig into their power levels, Goku probably got a massive Zenkai from being killed by Cell but getting to keep his body. Add that to fact that he spent the next several years training non-stop while Gohan focused on school, and it's no real surprise that Goku ends up more powerful. Also, the writers just have to say 'ok Goku is more powerful again'.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
It's good if your ten, and your brain is filled with fuck.

I definitely watched the shit out of it when I was younger, but I was never delusional about the show being particularly good. Perhaps somewhat novel, as one of the first anime I've ever seen--never been a fan of most anime anyway.

...You know I guess it is good in a turn your brain off and enjoy the bro-opera type of way.
But what do you mean by good though? It's been going since the early 80's. I don't think you can classify something like that as 'good' or 'bad' because it's a saga than spans decades, literally.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought the age old story was, Toriyama intended for Gohan to be the newish star of the series post Cell Saga, hence him going higher than any Saiyan to date and beating Cell, but the feedback from the notion of Goku being dead for the rest of the series caused him to retcon and bring back Goku with Buu Saga.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
frown.png

As Urgoslav already posted. I believe you are, as usual, wrong Dumar.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, if you ignore Vegeta destroying Planet Arlia so early on in DBZ, the rest of the series is relatively consistent with the amount of power it takes to destroy a planet. Namek takes several minutes to blow up after Frieza blasts it, but it only takes a few seconds for Kid Buu to charge up a blast that destroys a planet instantly.

Alternate theory, he was just the most powerful fighter who was still alive, since Vegeta was dead by that point. It's already been mentioned in the thread, but Toriyama meant for Cell to be the ending of the series. If you really wanted to try and dig into their power levels, Goku probably got a massive Zenkai from being killed by Cell but getting to keep his body. Add that to fact that he spent the next several years training non-stop while Gohan focused on school, and it's no real surprise that Goku ends up more powerful. Also, the writers just have to say 'ok Goku is more powerful again'.
Goten was created in the series to replace Goku as Akira Toriyama wanted to retire Goku from the series, allowing Gohan to take command. However, Toriyama was forced to bring Goku back when the fans disapproved of the decision to replace him. Goten is Gohan's younger brother, and Trunks' best friend.
Like I said earlier, there were fucking riots once fans heard the news, and Toriyama had to scrap Gohan becoming the successor and eventually just made him the "wasted potential" character, while still making him the strongest, but keeping Goku as the "hero." Vegeta even says it, Gohan is a lot stronger than everyone else, he just got lazy after killing Cell.

And the Z sword was all about potential I'm pretty sure. Whether or not Goku was stronger than Gohan, it was all a matter of unlocking every last bit of ki from the user (which was pounded into our heads from the very beginning of the series, Gohan had fucktons of). It's pretty much fact at this point that Gohan is the strongest non-fused character in DBZ.

Of course all this goes to shit with GT, but I've never watched GT, so fuck that.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched the Broly second coming movie on Youtube after reading here the other night, that shit was rubbish. I remembered the first one being pretty badass and apparently just blocked out the second one existing. With good reason.

Looking at theWiki list of moviesI only vaguely remember most of them. First Broly and World's Strongest are the only two that are sticking out in my memory for some reason.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
World's Strongest is probably my favorite, some damn fine action in that one.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Use to watch this as a kid (the Freiza saga was pretty epic), and always thought it would make a great adult type anime such as Cowboy Bebop, and Berserk if they would convert it.