DC Universe Animated Movies

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
They really should develop the characters more, instead of splintering them into "what if" type movies imo.

Gods and Monsters is an average watch I thought.

I would not mind a movie based around lesser known characters instead of some spin around the Justice League.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gods and Monsters was better than I thought it would be. Could have been really good, they just sorta flubbed parts of it. The idea was sound, the execution was poor. 6/10 seems about right. I don't like how dark they've gotten since Flashpoint. Like maybe they think Flashpoint being dark was why it was so popular? Flashpoint was a really good story, and it being a dark 'what if' universe made it unique. Making everything dark and killing people in every movie just makes it boring. Throne of Atlantis was a bloodbath, Son of Batman was a bloodbath, Gods and Monsters was a bloodbath, I'm assuming Batman vs Robin will end up being a bloodbath (bout to watch it now), and I don't remember if War was the same but I do remember it just plain sucking.

The one plus side to this new grimdark DC is that they might actually have the balls to do The Killing Joke properly, instead of whitewashing it and turning it into a total abomination.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I like the gore, it was odd since it started off pretty violent and then went away. I thought it was boring also but blamed it on me watching it at night tired

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Do you think they'll kill him in the end the way Morrison understood it? (as seen on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah as much as I'd love it, he doesn't kill Joker there.

I'd cream myself if they did it that way for the movie though.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I haven't watched any of these since War and by the sound of it, I haven't missed much. That's too bad...was really enjoying these and even bought the Flashpoint BluRay.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hope they sign Conroy and I'd like to hear Mae Whitman as Batgirl again, although there's a good chance they'll go with (or already went with) Tara Strong.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So long as Andrea Romano is doing the voice direction I have faith it will at least sound good. I think I read that Gods and Monsters exists because Bruce Timm wanted to do an animated version of The Authority but WB nixed that as a possibility, so this fills in and lets him play around with similar tropes. I did like that it allowed him to make use of the Metal Men which is something he wanted to do for Justice League Unlimited but was always denied access to because of vague Warner Brothers attempts at doing a Metal Men movie.

I really wonder why the industry watcher types havent come down hard on WB because of their hamfisted mismanagement of their DC brands. When you see what Disney has done with presenting a cohesive multimedia front with their Marvel properties it seems silly that WB animation, TV (multiple wings), Motion Pictures, and Licensing are seemingly all on different pages.

At least the comic wing has realized that they exist primarily to test out story concepts for the other media and are somewhat abandoning strict adherence to continuity following the shitfest that has been the new 52. Don't get me wrong, there have been some great things that came out of the New 52 experiment...but there have been just as many instances of taking a strong property and gutting it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just watched Gods and Monsters, it was decent. I thoroughly approve of SuperZod using lots of heat vision. The fighting was pretty good, although some of the backstory lingered.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, Gods and Monsters is pretty raw. It's hard to watch the newer DC animated movies with the kids in the room.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd think Wonder Woman gutting Billy Batson in Flashpoint would be all the warning you need to keep your kids away from the new DC movies lol

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We watched the whole thing, and the kids shrieked while people were being set on fire with heat vision, and killed and maimed in all sorts of ways.

WTH DC?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's just an example of pop culture growing up with it's original audience. we all watched batman TAS, batman/superman adventures and justice league when we were like 13. i watched justice league on tv when i was like 16 or so. 20 years later, we are still watching these characters, wanting guys like mark hamil and kevin conroy. WE want them. my 8 year old has no idea who those people are. They aren't making these movies for teens. they are making them for the 30 year olds who are pretending to watch them for their kids. but the kids have other shows to watch. i remember watching the red hood "just to see if my kid would like it." i love that movie. but there's no way i was going to show my 5 year old that movie. and i'm totally okay with that.