DDO (D&D Online)

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Dungeons Dragons Online® on Steam

Get the collectors edition of Shadowfell, MoTU and starter pack for about 20 bucks. You also get 3k turbine points which is enough to get Vale, Gianthold and Necro 4. That's pretty much all you need for a -very- long time.

Troll_sl

shitlord
It was fun for a while... but because almost everyone is at max level, it's not so much fun at low levels. Unless you have a group of people to play with.

At least in my experience.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
10th anniversary event is going on right now. Every character gets a token they can trade in for various raid loot.

You can exploit a quiver of alacrity (+30% runspeed item usable at level 1 once you upgrade it with a little bit of a grind) really easy right now. Roll up a new character, run to the token turn in, get quiver, get some BtA arrows (crafted work best), put one in the quiver, the quiver becomes BtA and you can transfer it to your main. Rinse repeat for all characters you want to have a quiver.

You can then use your token on your main to get whatever other item you want.

I'm still playing this every other night for a few hours.

Sarlona server, look for Zehnpai. I'm in the Bathory Hordes guild (lvl 194) with full ship buffs. There's a guild here that does weekly pug raids as well so you can experience DDO raiding in all its glory. The guy who runs those does them as 'teaching' raids so he explains how the raids work, the history behind them, etc...it's actually pretty fun.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the heads up about the giveaway. I kind of burned myself out finishing off completionist, and haven't played this in a while, but after running abbot so many times trying for that quiver and not getting it, I couldn't pass this up. Amusingly, I can't even zone into the upper necropolis to upgrade the quiver to the final version using the seal (had one banked) since I'm not a sub currently. Once/if I do play again though, I'll re-sub and happily upgrade it. I used my mains token for a Celestia, another item I ran the raid for multiple times and never obtained. Strange they just give powerful items like that out just for logging in, but eh, it probably doesn't matter when your game's this old.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
10th anniversary event is going on right now. Every character gets a token they can trade in for various raid loot.

You can exploit a quiver of alacrity (+30% runspeed item usable at level 1 once you upgrade it with a little bit of a grind) really easy right now. Roll up a new character, run to the token turn in, get quiver, get some BtA arrows (crafted work best), put one in the quiver, the quiver becomes BtA and you can transfer it to your main. Rinse repeat for all characters you want to have a quiver.

You can then use your token on your main to get whatever other item you want.

I'm still playing this every other night for a few hours.

Sarlona server, look for Zehnpai. I'm in the Bathory Hordes guild (lvl 194) with full ship buffs. There's a guild here that does weekly pug raids as well so you can experience DDO raiding in all its glory. The guy who runs those does them as 'teaching' raids so he explains how the raids work, the history behind them, etc...it's actually pretty fun.
IS this event still on ? How does one get a token ?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
You just log in and it's automatically placed into your inventory (if the event is still going on, not sure when it ends). If you have bags with auto-gather enabled, it will be placed in the bag instead, so check inside your bags if you don't see it. The vendor to cash in the token is located inside the hall of heroes, bottom level.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
You just log in and it's automatically placed into your inventory (if the event is still going on, not sure when it ends). If you have bags with auto-gather enabled, it will be placed in the bag instead, so check inside your bags if you don't see it. The vendor to cash in the token is located inside the hall of heroes, bottom level.
Thanks got some goodies for my toons. Going to kick around on this for a bit i think.

Blackwulf

N00b
So, this game is still kicking. I was bored last couple months and went back to it. I've now completed something like 28 lives on my main guy. He's pretty badass. I love the True Reincarnation system, and just kinda wish the game wasn't so old/dated. The character development system with TR's, multi-classing, feats, ehancements, etc., is tough to beat. I can't think of a game where so much character diversity is possible with so many builds able to be successful.

Too bad the population is dwindling. I'm not playing it much anymore, mainly because I got a bit tired of solo leveling life after life, and I'm not able to make raid groups on a regular basis due to lack of interest.

I don't think Turbine is in a good place when it comes to MMOs anymore - they got bought by WB a few years ago and I think are being forced to make mobile apps. Lol. Kinda crushes my hope for a new Asheron's Call or a DDO reboot. Sad days, folks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
They've recently said they've gotten an influx of new people working on the game now that they are done with some other projects. DDO is probably one of the few (if only) money makers Turbine even has at this point. The last few updates haven't exactly been all that stellar (Legendary Shroud was bust and the "free quests" are all pretty meh). That being said this game still has the best quests/dungeons of any MMO, the level of character customization and depth is insane and truth be told, the community is small enough that it feels 'old EQish' but isn't a ghost town.

The one big downside to the game honestly is how fucked the grouping ranges are. 20 to 30 can group with no XP penalty, but a level 13 and a level 17? Fahgetabout. Because of how TRing works and all the character perks that go with it, creating a bunch of alts to play with friends isn't terribly viable.

If anyone is interested in picking this up or playing, I play pretty much every night after the kids go to bed. So about from 10 pm to midnight CST. I also play sporadically throughout the day. The joys of working from home.

Sarlona server, character name is Zehnpai. You can look for my guild "Bathory Hordes." Have about 15~30 people on every night. We raid pretty constantly but there is absolutely no obligation to do so. We just do it so that people who want to experience raiding in DDO can.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
This was one of my favorite mmo's. I sometimes return and play it a bit, but feels like I already won the game since I have completionist finished, so after a few hours of questing for the sake of questing, I kinda lose interest again.

Still would highly recommend the game for someone who doesn't mind the fact it looks like it was made in 1995.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I do enjoy this game but I hate how pretty much all of it is implemented aside from basic mechanics. It's very frustrating to find the right people to do the right content at the right time. I'm sure it's probably very enjoyable with, you know a regular DnD party style group. I just could never make it work trying to pug random stuff at random times whenever I got the urge to go back for a little bit.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just logged in for the first time in a few months this week. Guild I'm in on Khyber is still rolling along. I still have my planning sheet for TRs, so I will probably do that when I inevitably burn out on Legion. Unless it got nerfed in the past couple months I will probably continue doing 2Art/6rog/12X to get all my chars done. Easy and self contained setup that can open all traps. Take the rog/harper stuff for into to hit and damage and you can solo or group at your pleasure.

• 1Like

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The new hotness is 10 warlock / 10 X (except Druid) simply due to how OP they are for heroics. Once you hit legendary difficulty their mediocre single target dps makes boss killing take forever so they become kinda meh since everyone is good at trash clearing at 30. If you're on a HTR train though it can't really be beat. Invis, run to objective, AE everything down in 2 seconds, rinse repeat until victory. 2/6/12 is still good don't get me wrong, one of the stronger builds in the game. But you have to single target shit down and who wants to do that?

• 1Like

Blackwulf

N00b
Heh - my current build on my TR guy is kinda an exploit. 10 druid, 6 ranger, 4 fighter - use wolf form. You get stacking haste/double attacks from taking single weapon fighting feats, and the two weapon feats from ranger. They stack in a way that I guess isn't intended with wolf form. Combine that with natural fighting, etc., and the dps is pretty retarded. I strike so often that if I use a weapon with lots of procs like Celestia, I sometimes get multiple procs a second. I've done a couple warlock lives, and during heroic levels, it's definitely better, but this wolf build is far better at upper epic levels.

• 1Like

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I played that build a little bit. Enjoyed it but I was a little too squishy for comfort in heroics. Epic levels sure, it's a great build. But I feel it's a late bloomer kinda like tree build or any build that's going to rely on shiradi to be good (IE: most thrower builds).

For example recently did 10ftr/8wiz/2rog and had a blast. You take a small hit to your damage potential but you gain wicked amounts of utility and survivability. Displacement, ddoor, stoneskin, shield, arcane bubble from wizard. Evasion, trapping, sneak attacks from rogue. Wizard levels also give you the mana to use consecrate as a twist which is nice. My will saves sucked but most will based saves you can harper pin out of or you just blow up the one mob in the group that casts hold/otto's.

However! The first 15 levels or so sucked balls. You go 1 rog/1ftr...so far so good. Then 8 levels of wizard as a melee character. It suuuuucked. No maximize/empower/quicken/etc...makes all the wizard dps stuff non-existent and my BAB was horrible. Was pretty much forced into grouping or doing quests on normal/hard. Then I hit about level 15 or so and it really started to take off. By the time I hit 20 I was basically unkillable.

• 1Like