DDO (D&D Online)

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I levelled that shuricannon build. If you enjoy tanking everything you hit then go for it.

Generates so much aggro lol.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, I was using the 1.0 thread, but I doubt there's any difference in the 1-20 part. Awesome build. You get aggro, but who cares? Everything dies before it reaches you.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
By all means, it is a great build. That monk life I played a shurricannon will always be one of my favorites. The play style is just so different and awesome.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Do you still have to have 48 hot bars? That was the only real big 'fuck this' about DDO. Didn't like having to carry / use all kinds of crazy shit
fortunately or unfortunately part of the fun of DDO advancement is simplifying your crap. Reduction in gear, scrolls etc. I am not a UMD guy as I like to roll solo with a hire or 2. or with a friend and 2 hires.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
TRing to Barb when the servers come up, we'll see what the xp is like on a third life. TBH I hardly noticed the 50% increase on a 2nd life, but aside from that stupid fucking protect the crystal quest on Korthos I ran an elite streak from 1 to 20, and that + greater xp tome meant the xp flowed pretty quickly. I imagine this time I may have to actually farm some quests and pay closer attention to what levels the xp guide says to hold on until you're almost ready to skip the next level, but we'll see. Think I'm actually going to run this one straight to 28 instead of TRing at 20, then do an epic + heroic tr.

Might try Shuricannon next, looks pretty damn fun. Do you just use the few named shurikens for weapons?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I already have that one. Was looking ahead to the Snowstar from Cult of the Six. I even have an alchemical blank in the bank, although obviously not the mats to do much with it. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't commit those mats to a shuriken.

Hell I should probably trash all my alchemical blanks just to make bank space, but they're on an alt so who cares.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
TRing to Barb when the servers come up, we'll see what the xp is like on a third life. TBH I hardly noticed the 50% increase on a 2nd life, but aside from that stupid fucking protect the crystal quest on Korthos I ran an elite streak from 1 to 20, and that + greater xp tome meant the xp flowed pretty quickly. I imagine this time I may have to actually farm some quests and pay closer attention to what levels the xp guide says to hold on until you're almost ready to skip the next level, but we'll see. Think I'm actually going to run this one straight to 28 instead of TRing at 20, then do an epic + heroic tr.

Might try Shuricannon next, looks pretty damn fun. Do you just use the few named shurikens for weapons?
Even on first life, farming quests like bloody crypt and shadow crypt makes leveling much smoother. You don't have to follow the leveling guides exactly, just make sure you hit the good farming spots along the way, holding level ups to maximize farming quests.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
What class combos would you guys suggest for someone coming back who hasn't played since before the first DLC dropped?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Pure Barbarian is hard to fuck up. Just pick up any and all "Do more damage" abilities.

Pure Paladin also hard to fuck up. Pick up any and all "Do more damage" abilities + keep your charisma high for LoH self heals.

Barbarian or Paladin to 12 to get 5th tier enhancements then 4 lvls of Favored Soul splash. Allows you to take Ameliorating Strike which is a pretty sexy ability.

Swashbuckling bards are pretty good but require significantly more finesse to play then barb or paladin.

Those three are probably the best "Oh god what am I doing?" builds. Just always pack a cleric hireling and you're golden. Don't pull a Vitae and try to do elites 3 levels above you though.

Some other builds but require spending turbine points and/or farming up a bit first:

The Shurricannon combo above (requires some planning and a weapon from a low level for pay pack)

A drow 1 rogue/1 cleric/ 18 wizard can be fun. Heavy armor wearing (need drow and about 30 arcane crafting for this) wizard with trapping skills. Not very viable for epic content but pretty fun up until then.

Pure Artificer is pretty fun too but sucks post-20 hard.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Update 25 Patch 2 Release Notes | DDO.com

Patch notes.

Hirelings
Hirelings who are Standing their Ground will no longer leave their assigned area to aid players.
Fixed a bug that could cause hirelings to switch back to "follow" mode shortly after a teleportation that was followed by a quick press of Stand Your Ground.
That was driving me fucking nuts. Thank god.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pure arti can sort of be salvaged once you make the long grind into Shiradi. My damage isn't great but it's steady and with quickened reconstructs and 80 PRR I'm pretty sturdy so you won't have to waste resources trying to rez me in Raids or EE content. I think a pure barb or pure paladin is fine, you don't really need the FvS splash for either class. Once you hit 12 blood strength should keep you pretty well covered on a barb, and a paladin can self heal pretty effectively.

Just got 4 on my Barb and equipped dat Carnifex. Hnnnngg. Now to hit 10 and equip dat SoS.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, barb and pal should stay pure, capstones are really strong. If you take it epic, you'll get cocoon anyways, and paladin will be in divine crusader ideally with lots of consecrate healing on top of their already quite strong base healing thanks to their high healing amp.

I'm a big caster fan myself, can't go wrong with a wf shiradi sorc splashed monk and pal for insane defenses. You get spammable, reliable dmg, cc if you want to invest in your enchant dc, tons of buffs, grandmaster stances, 70+ all saves, evasion, reconstruct, wings, etc etc. Can get a sizeable hp pool and pretty large sp pool as well.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
What class combos would you guys suggest for someone coming back who hasn't played since before the first DLC dropped?
Shuricannon monk
Pure arti
Pure druid (gingerspyce build is insanely powerful)
18 rogue/2 arti repeater build (mechanic/assassin) is insane dps with best possible trapping
Paladin lol faceroll whatever
Pure ranger is pretty easy as AA.
Once you have a few good repeaters in stock pretty much int based 12 anything 6 rogue 2 arti (a-a-x-x-x-x-r-r-x-x-x-x-r-r-x-x-x-x-r-r) will let you trap, do crazy dps, and whatever bonuses that main class gets as far as self heals, turn undead, dd, whatever floats your boat.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Also look for weapons with red/purple/orange slots in them and invest in a meteoric gem and some jeweler's kits. Best dps proc out there right now, and it mows the fuck out of everything. Damage is based on level of weapon, so you only need the one gem if you recycle it.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Fooled around last night with pure Barb, finished the first couple of quests, was pretty fun. Do your starting stats matter all that much? I dumped everything in Strength and Con like I would a Barbarian D&D character for tabletop. Is that the right choice?

Leveling wise I am repeating quests until I finish all the difficulties, is that the best way to go?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
They do but str+con is fine for a Barbarian. That's one of the reasons people recommend them since it just makes sense. Most builds will tell you what you absolutely need early on since some feats require a certain amount of str or dex or whatever. But for a "I smash" barbarian getting like 18 str/16 con or whatever is perfect.

Leveling wise yes that's fine. Only thing I would recommend is keep an eye on your dungeon list (push p and select 'adventures'). Make sure you finish all quests on level 1 before you accept level 4. Remember you can bank up to 1 level of xp. Unless you're about to hit the xp cap or you'realmostalways better off being "-1" level.

What I typically do is do all lvl1's on normal, then hit lvl 2 and do all lvl 1's on hard then all lvl 2's on normal, then when I hit 3 do all 1's on elite, 2's on hard, 3's on normal, etc... Breaks it up a little since doing NHEHHHHH or if you're a sub EHNNNNNNN can get boring really fast if you run the same mission 8 times in a row before moving on to the next.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Even on first life, farming quests like bloody crypt and shadow crypt makes leveling much smoother. You don't have to follow the leveling guides exactly, just make sure you hit the good farming spots along the way, holding level ups to maximize farming quests.
Is there a way to redo shadow and bloody crypt without redoing their prerequisite quests?