DDO (D&D Online)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The new hotness is 10 warlock / 10 X (except Druid) simply due to how OP they are for heroics. Once you hit legendary difficulty their mediocre single target dps makes boss killing take forever so they become kinda meh since everyone is good at trash clearing at 30. If you're on a HTR train though it can't really be beat. Invis, run to objective, AE everything down in 2 seconds, rinse repeat until victory. 2/6/12 is still good don't get me wrong, one of the stronger builds in the game. But you have to single target shit down and who wants to do that?

I might have to change it up when I move on to iconics, then. I like 2art/6rog just for the sheer utility (pick locks and summon bolts) and the single target ranged dps is phenomenal. For 1-20 it's just stupid good. I only ever got to 28 once. Honestly, once I get 3x iconics I will probably just roll a DE 20 warlock and finish my epic TRs and call it a game. Never know, they might add another class or iconic in there somewhere, but meh.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
We have two people in our guild that have 150+ TR's. You stop getting bonuses at what... (provided you plan it right) around 100 TR's? So I think the game may feel like it has some value even after you max out PL's.

What I'd really like them to do is pull the Rift system from D3 and just use that for end game. Raiding in DDO has always felt weird and wasn't something I was hugely into. Rifts would be brilliant though and give players a reason to actually stay at level cap instead of constantly TR'ing. "Destiny Points' or whatever instead of paragon points that can permanently upgrade your character like PL feats.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
14 classes x3, 5 iconic x3, 12 epics. But the iconics also double as a class TR, so 54 total needed to cap it all out unless I am forgetting something. Right now I am on my last 6 regulars. After that 15 iconics and 11 epics to go.

I would fucking love rifts in DDO. Just make 4 maps, scale mobs and loot to highest player in group's level, give it a non-decaying xp rate. Call it a day.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
12 epics x 3, so 36 total ETR's.

I'm honestly looking forward to the new Cannith Crafting now though. It's not going to be terribly new or inventive by any means, Turbine simply doesn't have the resources for it. But after testing it out some it'll be nice to create 4 or 5 items that hit all my important stat points at 5 level intervals and call it a day. I can have my level 5 set, my level 10 set and so on instead of having to hit up the bank every single level to pick up the one new item that replaces an old one.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
They ever fix hotbar sizing? I can hardly see them on my big monitor. Tried a few years ago, so maybe its been fixed??

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
12 epics x 3, so 36 total ETR's.

I'm honestly looking forward to the new Cannith Crafting now though. It's not going to be terribly new or inventive by any means, Turbine simply doesn't have the resources for it. But after testing it out some it'll be nice to create 4 or 5 items that hit all my important stat points at 5 level intervals and call it a day. I can have my level 5 set, my level 10 set and so on instead of having to hit up the bank every single level to pick up the one new item that replaces an old one.

Epics are broken into those 4 groups, and you get a max of 3x for the group. Was there something else you got for doing more?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
They ever fix hotbar sizing? I can hardly see them on my big monitor. Tried a few years ago, so maybe its been fixed??

Unfortunately there's no UI scaling. The best you can really do is pick a smaller resolution and run in full screen mode.

Epics are broken into those 4 groups, and you get a max of 3x for the group. Was there something else you got for doing more?

Each sphere has a destiny. When you ETR you pick the sphere and destiny. So it's 9x per sphere.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
U32 is set to be released on Sept 13th. The biggest part of the update is going to be the changes to Cannith Crafting. Some things you should know about preparing for the new system:

- Save your crafting essences. They're worth more in the new system towards leveling

- If you use a TP store bought 100% xp elixir (200 tp) and crafting success boosters (1500 tp to get a meaningful amount) it'll take about ~50k shards to get to the useful skill cap (about level 320).

- Not using those and just using stuff you can buy from vendors with Cannith favor it'll tke about ~200k shards to get to that point.

- The only useful effect you can make now that is getting 'nerfed' is invulnerability. And only because it's going to be a very high skill level shard to make in the new system whereas right now it's very low level. So make your invulnerability twink armor now.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Also as a reminder, if anyone is interested in playing come join us on the Sarlona server (Bathory Hordes). There's usually 20 or so people on every night in our guild. I play nightly from about 9 pm CST to 12 pm and sporadically through the day. We raid occasionally but there's no commitment (if you're on you're welcome to join). Everybody in the guild is in their 30's+ so it's a pretty mature atmosphere. Plenty of dick jokes of course.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i downloaded this a week or so ago. did make sure to roll on Sarlona but didn't play for very long (t'was late).

i'm unsure about continuing too far yet tho, since character progression seems so complex. as a newb that wants to melee, what should i start out with? was thinking just straight paladin for my first run?

also, any good up-to-date resources for newbies? i can find lots of info on this game but a lot of it seems pretty dated.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I haven't actively played in about 6 months, but assuming nothing major has changed, I'd recommend something that has a solution for traps. By far, the biggest danger in most dungeons are traps, easily able to one shot even pure barbarians in some cases. Some of the things I liked to build were:

int based class with 1 artificer / X whatever using auto-crossbows and the harper talent to use int for damage/to hit.
dex based class with natural evasion, or 2 rogue levels for evasion (then you can evade most traps).
str based.... well, it's rare for a strength based class to be better than going pure int with harper tree, even as a melee

That's assuming you solo mostly. If you're always playing in a party, you can leave trap duty to someone else. Paladin's are very strong, and with their saves and health, even dex based traps can be survived by just face tanking them most of the time.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Woah did we all play this previously as well? Heh, can't believe you're still playing this Zehn. I don't really get the difference I suppose between Turbine and Standing Stone. What the hell else is Turbine doing these days? Mobile games is my guess.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
DDO is my guilty pleasure. After I put the boys to bed I lose a couple games of HOTS and then log onto DDO to talk about lawn care.

For what it's worth next month they are introducing 'reaper' difficulty which allows you to scale dungeons (from 1 to 10) similar to D3.

i'm unsure about continuing too far yet tho, since character progression seems so complex. as a newb that wants to melee, what should i start out with? was thinking just straight paladin for my first run?

Traps are fun but non-lethal aspect of normal/hard difficulty (which is what you should stick to until you get the hang of things, elite is a significant step up in difficulty) so you don't necessarily need to be a trapper to live. Straight Paladin isn't a bad first go at it. Pure Barbarian is also good. Both are pretty straight forward. Max your strength and con, take anything that makes you hit harder and go to town. Just bring a cleric hireling along so you can just focus on making stuff dead.

I usually recommend those for people who are just starting out. 12 fighter/8 wizard is also pretty neat if you want to try multi-classing your first time around. 5 fighter -> 8 wizard -> 7 fighter. Gives you a lot of damage from fighter levels (they recently got buffed) and you get a lot of neat utility spells from wizard like blur, jump, displacement, invis, etc...

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed this game for the short time I played, Cleric was super fun. Ended up spending points/buying a couple adv. pacs, but could never get anyone to group. Same issue as other old MMORPGs at low level, but add to this that too much of the content seemed to require a group to open doors etc, so I felt like I was only getting 1/3 or the game I was paying for.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man, it's going to Daybreak?
i downloaded this a week or so ago. did make sure to roll on Sarlona but didn't play for very long (t'was late).

also, any good up-to-date resources for newbies? i can find lots of info on this game but a lot of it seems pretty dated.

I think I did ranger 18/ rogue 2? Some combination of ranger rogue that was hot like 6 years ago. Decent melee damage, and could deal with traps, very self sufficient for casual play.

You are right though, the character progression is daunting unless you are a PhD-level student of 3rd ed. DnD.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The grouping at relatively low levels isn't as terrible as it could be. Unfortunately due to a combination to a large number of low levels being people who are on their 30th+ reincarnation and bravery bonus meaning you can really only group with people 1 or 2 levels below you it's certainly not what it ~could~ be. It's not as bad as say FFxi though.

Once you hit level 20+ and the grouping restrictions are mostly gone groups are plenty. It usually takes me ~5 minutes or so to get a full group going. There's usually one PUG raid going on at any given time as well.