Dead Space 3

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There are parts in Dead Space 1 that to this day I cannot fucking finish alone, and would have loved a partner. Trying to do the final stage on Impossible for example. Jesus Christ, there were some areas I just could not ever get past. I'll fully admit it, I never could finish it, because back then a room full of Necromorphs all rushing you was GD hard on the typical cache of resources you had to work with in Dead Space 1 on Impossible mode.
Final Stage (on the planet with the marker v1.0 and the Hive Mind) was the easiest part of an Impossible DS1 run IMO - I'd run a section there over most of Act 6-10 any day of the week.

Tramddark_sl

shitlord
Final Stage (on the planet with the marker v1.0 and the Hive Mind) was the easiest part of an Impossible DS1 run IMO - I'd run a section there over most of Act 6-10 any day of the week.
Really? I had no problems with stage 6-10. There were just some areas on the planet where I couldn't finish it. Its been years since I tried, but it was in one of those rooms in the 'warehouse' with the Marker on tracks and I just remember getting rushed with about twenty Necromorphs at a time. Ah well. Been a while, maybe I just had a really frustrating time at it for a few days and couldn't get it done, and gave up.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't even realize you could craft ammo until chapter 14 or something.

Why did nobody bitch about vertical ascending/ descending yet? Those scenes sucked.

Because the man responsible for all the good stuff from the first 2, now works for Zynga.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...loperId,23707/

Edit: As an aside, I never played Dead Space 2 through to completion. I just hit Chapter 13 last night and am having a blast with the atmosphere. I have heard good and bad about the atmosphere in 3. What's the verdict?
Why the fuck would a talented game designer work for Zynga? Their business model is copying successful games!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea definitely the hardest part of final chapter - but never found that part hard - died on the elite brute once I think.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you don't make ENOUGH profit, you will get fired at EA over night.

How can anyone be stupid enough to work for them anymore? Dead Space shut down, Dragon Age shut down.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
If you don't make ENOUGH profit, you will get fired at EA over night.

How can anyone be stupid enough to work for them anymore? Dead Space shut down, Dragon Age shut down.
In my experience you don't choose to work with these companies, you work for a smaller firm whose owner then decides to cash in by selling out to them. In happier times it was easier to find work elsewhere if you didn't like it, these days you take what you can get.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey at least they will still be able to make Madden games with the least amount of effort possible.

I think it would be wise to just stop purchasing EA titles all together. Course we should have been doing that for the last 3 years.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey at least they will still be able to make Madden games with the least amount of effort possible.

I think it would be wise to just stop purchasing EA titles all together. Course we should have been doing that for the last 3 years.
I have no issues with that. We all know that money we're paying for the games isn't getting past EA anyways.

In my experience you don't choose to work with these companies, you work for a smaller firm whose owner then decides to cash in by selling out to them. In happier times it was easier to find work elsewhere if you didn't like it, these days you take what you can get.
If I knew my company just got sold to a corpration with the business strategy of making many super expensive but shit games and then keeping just #1 and firing everyone who comes in second I'd start applying elsewhere. In case of Dead Space it worked, I thought we established a page or two back that the talent that made Dead Space 1 left before Dead Space 2, right?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I smell some bullshit with this one. Usually these reports come from the people that were let go. I would say the only other option here is that the IP isn't dead. But everything else is true. And them saying the IP isn't dead can mean they will make a facebook game at some point down the road.

Cross post from SA forums. EA is, yes, full of shit in that comment. Big shock.

Visceral Employee.

We all knew since the beginning of 2012 there wasn't going to be another Dead Space. It's just way too expensive for our team to make a game that's going to get DS3's sales numbers. Our team is crazy senior, I've been at EA for almost 6 years now and I'm one of the youngest and most junior in terms of experience, so that's a lot of big salaries that have to be paid to keep that talent. There's also a lot of studio book keeping hullabaloo that affects that as well, cancelled projects and things, that get shifted around and hurts our budget.

I dunno who that "source" is, but universal ammo and microtransactions have fuckall to do with each other. Universal ammo was added because we were already littering the world with pickups and goodies. Having a unique ammo type per engine, which would be the only possible way to have done it, would have meant adding an additional 9 different pickup items filling your inventory. Dealing with that clutter isn't fun, so we went with Mass Effect's ammo solution. Microtransactions were brought in late, and we fought hard against them, but ultimately they're no different than what we did in DS2, and they're less obvious. DS2 had a big "purchase credits" icon in the store, we just had a little indicator to press Y. Honestly if we hadn't done those stupid press releases and all that bull it wouldn't have been a big deal.
They told us like in March or April of 11 that we needed to get that many units, and coop was solidified as the main new feature in June-ish. We knew for a long time, and were all surprised that it had to be that many.

As for numbers, it'd be hard to say. Maybe 100ish here in Redwood Shores? Then we also have Shanghai who does a lot of environment art for us, and some rough first pass anims. No idea how many specifically we had from that group, they're kind of a shared resource inside the Games label. Montreal helped a lot on DS2, they did the Ishimura revisit level, and they were helping out a lot on 3, but most of them got pulled off to work on Army of 2. I think there were maybe a dozen or so of them, 15 maybe. All in all I'd guess around 200 people maybe, not counting the utterly useless fucks in Romania who were some of our outsourced QA.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Try to turn an Isolationist Survival Horror series into an action shooter kill fest with a bunch of pointless crap in it, game failsbecauseyou made it into an action shooter kill fest. Good job, EA.

I'm sure the game would have turned a profit had they stuck to the series roots and it didn't get completely shit all over by word of mouth and what reviewers they couldn't pay off. It didn't need a bunch of god awful drama and voice acting and cutscenes, shoehorned in co-op, a pointless new weapons system, etc. That's all just a ton of money flushed down the toilet.

I really hopesomeonelearned a fucking lesson here.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Try to turn an Isolationist Survival Horror series into an action shooter kill fest with a bunch of pointless crap in it, game failsbecauseyou made it into an action shooter kill fest. Good job, EA.

I'm sure the game would have turned a profit had they stuck to the series roots and it didn't get completely shit all over by word of mouth and what reviewers they couldn't pay off. It didn't need a bunch of god awful drama and voice acting and cutscenes, shoehorned in co-op, a pointless new weapons system, etc. That's all just a ton of money flushed down the toilet.

I really hopesomeonelearned a fucking lesson here.
+1
this "let's go from a survival horror to a co-op action shooter bullshit" reminds me of F.E.A.R.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd rather see the series die than for it to continue as the abomination that it evolved in to. Maybe, just maybe it can be resurrected in the future by the original development team.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i just beat it and enjoyed it quite a bit. it has a few action sequences but it's not as action-centric as people claim and the atmosphere is pretty dark and isolated throughout. i find it odd that people are shitting on dead space 3 yet defended resident evil 6 and dragon age 2 when they were more radical departures.