Death Stranding

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This game didn't enter full development until 2017. That's less than 3 years from FD to launch. I wouldn't expect Metal Gear quality here.

Good news is: Reviews come out a week before hand.

Bad news is: Reviews come out a week before hand.

Hideo could walk into a Gamespot office (And about 80 other popular offices for reviews) throw a piece of dog shit in their console, crop dust the VP's office on the way out, and that experience gets a 9/10 supplied with a video review.

It looks like Hideo didn’t do that because IGN gave the game a 6.8. Reviews seem to be all over the place, great story boring gameplay.

it is as we made fun off a walking simulator, you spend the VAST majority of your time doing deliveries.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
As soon as they started showing gameplay footage at Sony's events I began losing interest, the translated Tokyo Game Show footage pretty much killed it. Watching the Giant Bomb coverage today pretty much confirms my decision, particularly the point where he said he's only spoken to one person who says they like it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It looks like Hideo didn’t do that because IGN gave the game a 6.8. Reviews seem to be all over the place, great story boring gameplay.

it is as we made fun off a walking simulator, you spend the VAST majority of your time doing deliveries.
Check again as I mentioned GameSpot directly. 🤣

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The only reviews I see so far are people saying “I don’t really understand the game or ending but.. you gotta play it!”

pass until sale

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Saw one review that basically said "masturbatory scifi concepts plus boring gameplay plus awesome outdoors".

Basically, you've got life and death mixed, the spirits of the dead trigger a nuclear detonation if they find someone who just died. And they got oil zombies that try to kill you so they can blow up later. All of modern infrastructure has collapsed, there's enclaves of survivors everywhere.

The weird babies are stillborn fetuses who apparently give you the capacity to see the dead spirits. Gameplay is you running everywhere making deliveries of supplies, avoiding the dead. Multiplayer is people making infrastructure so that other players can use your stuff to run the errands faster. When you use someone else's stuff, you give them points which they can then spend.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still getting the game.

I'm not an Hideo Kojima fan, haven't played a Metal Gear Solid game since the first one, well tried the 2nd one but quit early on. I'm obviously not a Metal Gear Solid fan either so it's not like I was hoping for a game like MSG.

From the first trailer that was just plain weird, and revealed nothing of either the story or gameplay, and all the trailers since, I've simply been captivated by the setting, it looks so weird and bizarre.

After watching and reading a few reviews(7-8 or so) to try and get a decent idea of the game from different perspective. It would seem that the consensus is that the story and setting are great and that the gameplay is somewhat boring and repetitive.

Since the story was always what attracted me to the game, this is good news since pretty much everyone seems to think it's good.

As for boring and repetitive gameplay, I've put 160 hours in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and still have to do the Atlantis DLC and about half of the Lost Tales of Greece, so I can take some boring and repetitive gameplay.

I had watched the 1 hour gameplay reveal a few weeks/months back, so I knew this was mostly just a walking simulator where you just deliver stuff, that demo they did was fairly clear in my opinion. I think people expected more though.

Now, I'm an old(50), and the idea of just chilling and walking around a gorgeous world slowly delivering stuff without a lot of combat, and that doesn't rely on reflex and stuff has a certain appeal to me. I'm not saying it's not going to be boring, just that sometimes just relaxing while playing a video game is fun...I mean I can spend hours just gathering, crafting and decorating my house in FF14 without doing any combat related stuff.

It doesn't look like I'll put the 160 hours I did in AC:Odyssey, but if I get 40-50 hours to go through the main story and it's as good as they say...it's worth my money and time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Saw one review that basically said "masturbatory scifi concepts plus boring gameplay plus awesome outdoors".

Basically, you've got life and death mixed, the spirits of the dead trigger a nuclear detonation if they find someone who just died. And they got oil zombies that try to kill you so they can blow up later. All of modern infrastructure has collapsed, there's enclaves of survivors everywhere.

The weird babies are stillborn fetuses who apparently give you the capacity to see the dead spirits. Gameplay is you running everywhere making deliveries of supplies, avoiding the dead. Multiplayer is people making infrastructure so that other players can use your stuff to run the errands faster. When you use someone else's stuff, you give them points which they can then spend.

The last part is intruiging. But anytime that Kallie left wing liberal hookwad "journalist" over at Gamespot gives a game 9/10 or higher, get ready for some alt left shenanigans.

spronk

FPS noob
84/100 currently on metacritic

Its getting a LOT of 10/10 reviews though, by comparison

Death Stranding - 13 10/10
Resident Evil 2 - 13 10/10
The outer worlds - 6 10/10
Gears 5 - 6 10/10
Sekiro - 4 10/10

So seems to be reviewing fairly well. I'm keeping my collectors edition pre order

D9ERLaqWwAA38tc.jpg

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't planning on picking it up at launch but this feels like the sort of game where if you're not playing it at launch you miss out on some of the magic for lack of a better word. I'm guessing there will be tons of "Snape kills Dumbledore" style posts out in the wild along with youtube thumbnails along the same linel which would suck if there is a crazy twist there along the lines of MGS2's end of the tanker stage or colonel reveal. Plus didn't realize until now it comes out on a three day weekend.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I have been ass deep in work of late so I have not seen any of the press on this yet.

But reading this page alone leads me to believe it is Euro-Truck Simulator 2019 - On Foot In Science Fiction Land?

I mean, the Truck Simulator games have a huge following, specifically because of the cathartic, relaxing gameplay. So, in essence, I don't see the problem.

I am not sure how I personally feel about it though. I will most likely wait a while and see how it all pans out. I am a little disappointed at the current responses.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have been ass deep in work of late so I have not seen any of the press on this yet.

But reading this page alone leads me to believe it is Euro-Truck Simulator 2019 - On Foot In Science Fiction Land?

I mean, the Truck Simulator games have a huge following, specifically because of the cathartic, relaxing gameplay. So, in essence, I don't see the problem.

I am not sure how I personally feel about it though. I will most likely wait a while and see how it all pans out. I am a little disappointed at the current responses.

So from everything, you are basically bringing supplies and packages to installations across the United States. The world ended, kinda, and these oily ghosts are everywhere, which you can see thanks to your dead fetus you wear across your stomach. If someone dies to one, a Nuclear Implosion the size of a yellowstone Super Volcano goes off or something. You get items that help you either climb, walk, run, and other auxiilary things to deliver these packages and once you do you get likes on Facebook. Because you're damn right I would want to make sure I get those in the situation I am in! (I'd even like my own shit)

Then the multiplayer aspect has you coming across other people's packages who may have had to drop them and run, or they met their demise, and you can pick them up and deliver them for them, which will probably get you another Facebook like. So yeah, you are going to want to do that. How Facebook survived the Apocolypse, no one knows, but if anything can do it, Facebook can.

After 60 hours of various and clever ways to deliver packages (Car, Cycle, tow rope, snow shoes, and 50,000 back spasms and 5 hernias) you get to the end of the game where there is a massive Kojima twist which leaves you thinking of the time you thought it was a good idea to re-read war and remembrance.

So let's rent it and hop in a discord channel and suffer together.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah listened to a few podcasts talking about it today, sounds like its 50-65 hours total. The story sounds like its pretentious and artsy-fartsy, which isn't that surprising.

People say if you don't like the game after 2-3 hours then you may as well stop, its unlikely your opinion will change. Everyone seemed to say the ending is not satisfying, which is a huge strike for me.

I'll probably play a few hours and trade back in, I hate artsy movies (just saw Lighthouse, HATED it) so this game will probably not be to my tastes

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My hypometer has gone from a 9 to like a 3 for this. Oddly enough, my hypometer for Fallen Order has gone from a 2 to around a 7.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Online stuff sounds like Kojima took the original concept from the souls series of being a "part" of everyone's game without actually being in it, and just evolved it. Which I am surprised it took this long before someone did that. I will definitely be playing this game for I am a huge fan of Kojima's Koijimism as I like to call it. Hah. I can definitely see how people can be turned off by it tho. To each their own.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Reading the reviews it's like masochist heaven? It's just straight up Fedex quests with 1 hour cut scenes? I don't have a PS4 so am a bit bummed in that it kind of sounds like RDR2 where the journey is the game, not the actual gameplay.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So apparently you can drop your parcel if you don't constantly pay attention to balance as a core game mechanic as well as comforting your crying baby... I mean, I was never really hyped for this game, but now i'll just grab it from one of the many subscription services it inevitably lands on for PC. Seems like a long and polished indie game with a AAA budget.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
MGS2 was panned by critics, was one of Kojima's most forward looking and prescient titles.

I'm a Kojima fan boy though so of course Im getting this but not until it hits pc.

I may even hate it at first but Ill replay it in a year or two and itll all make sense.

Just like MGS2

m3uRVb5.jpg

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
MGS2 was panned by critics, was one of Kojima's most forward looking and prescient titles.

I'm a Kojima fan boy though so of course Im getting this but not until it hits pc.

I may even hate it at first but Ill replay it in a year or two and itll all make sense.

Just like MGS2

View attachment 229270

The problem you have with your plan is that it sounds like the online component is the only way to take the tedium out of the game. So if there is nobody else playing while you're playing then you're kind of fucked? I honestly have no idea if true but it sounds like you somewhat depend on what other people build/leave in certain areas to make it not an awful grind? The balance stuff as far as walking is definitely true per the reviews. Some walks took hours? LOL

• 1Solidarity