December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, all versions past the original NES version fixed that.

'Fixed', hogwash! Not whiffing attacks against dead targets makes the game incredibly easy. IMO the only true version is the original NES version.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
well, i really WANTED to play the PSX version, but i'm having one hell of a time getting a PSX emulator to work... any good ones out there besides ePSXe, PSXR, and Menanfen?

Installed a very old emulator called PSXeven and got it to work beautifully. Every other one either crashed or wouldn't recognize my controller.

I'm stoked boys (and Vanessa)!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
MVIMG_20181203_174411_1.jpg

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I started with the PSX version but swapped to PSP after seeing how much better it looked + extra content I guess?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah these PSX graphics are actually Wonderswan Color level graphics, it's a direct port of that. I'm going to try some different filters to get it looking better. I'm playing it since it's closer to the original difficulty and has the original magic system.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
i've been playing this on the phone, funny enough i've had the nintendo power guide for the nes version since like the early 90's but never beat it before heh

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've been playing this on the phone, funny enough i've had the nintendo power guide for the nes version since like the early 90's but never beat it before heh

Just saw this about the phone version:

This version has several bugs. One of the worst is that instead of a random value within a range, HP and MP go up by either the minimum or maximum possible value when leveling up. The minimum value appears to be picked 15 times more often than the max value.

Otherwise it seems to be largely identical to the PSP version.

This page has an extremely detailed breakdown of the differences between every version, if anyone is still weighing their options: Final Fantasy/Version differences

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Ding Lvl 2!

20181203_181733.jpg

The Trio of Tards will prevail over Chaos before Christmas; this is a guaranteed victory.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Made it to Pravoca, but first made the side trip to Matoya's Cave to rob her chests of potions while she's still missing her eye and can't see me thieving.

Siliconemelons

well, i really WANTED to play the PSX version, but i'm having one hell of a time getting a PSX emulator to work... any good ones out there besides ePSXe, PSXR, and Menanfen?

Yeah, imo PSX emus have always been poopy and isos a PITA...thats why I am not doing that one

Throwing a sticky your way for this thread Siliconemelons Siliconemelons . Let me know if you want to do another one next month :cool:

Thanks for the stickums hookup bro!

Vanessa Vanessa
What version is that, i like that the sprites look OG but has backgrounds etc. I got the STEAM version of FF5 and GODS the sprite work sucks and is soft and harsh looking poop

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

Well... I have never played the game for more than 10 min and I have it on WonderSwan Color. So I guess I'll dig that out, see if it works properly (I fear dead pixels and dead cartridge battery) and give it a go.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Marsh Cave was, is, and will ever be the great separator between a party of braying children and a party of young men. I'm having a hard run at it meine Freunde! Gotta grind out more gil and buy more potions :/

My Lord in heaven, the balance of spell-casters in this game on dungeon crawls is just pitiful and I always knew it but it just utterly slaps you in the dick now when you have an all mage team. 5-4-3 shots of magic and you're out of gas and poking the mobs with a 1dmg knitting needle.

Let it begin
Enjoy all that hot early-game melee miss miss miss miss miss action Xad!

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Marsh Cave was, is, and will ever be the great separator between a party of braying children and a party of young men. I'm having a hard run at it meine Freunde! Gotta grind out more gil and buy more potions :/

My Lord in heaven, the balance of spell-casters in this game on dungeon crawls is just pitiful and I always knew it but it just utterly slaps you in the dick now when you have an all mage team. 5-4-3 shots of magic and you're out of gas and poking the mobs with a 1dmg knitting needle.

Enjoy all that hot early-game melee miss miss miss miss miss action Xad!

Oh I will because I am running classic team War Th Bl Wh - just because its what I love...

I watched my brother play through FF on NES SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times growing up, I have the entire first half of the game down, so it will be interesting to see what must be done to get it through on this different version.

Really, Start->Earth Lich is "more" than Earth->Fire or even Earth->Airship->class->fire lol- because you hit the wall of the elven area, marsh and then the dark elf, then vamp THEN earth litch

Szlia

Everything is in working order... that allowed me to discover my 10 min play time estimate was in fact 6 hours... but with a warrior - white mage - black mage - monk party I probably went just about nowhere in the game (I am at an elf town with levels at 13 9 7 7), so I'll restart with some more decent group. Maybe warrior warrior red knight white mage or something....

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
No Szlia Szlia don't restart that group... it is a classic composition. Monk is pretty bad now, yes, but just wait till the endgame when you're doing like 11-hit crit combos with just your fists.

Unequip your nunchucks and see if that's more damage. I forget the level the monk becomes better with just fists but I think it's around your level now. Try it and see before restarting.

Siliconemelons

Thought he didn't punch for more till he was master class change and then its just, WTFBBQ dmg

But, before class change, all "2nd row" classes suck - red mage is the "most" useful just because of his ability to be a numerical spell backup and still puts out dmg that is "okay" while the Thief and BlkBelt cant help with magic and do "okay....maybe less" damage.

• 1Like