December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Good excuse to actually plug my NES mini in. If I join in on this I am going to do my very first party all over again. Fighter, monk, monk, red mage. Still one of my favorite moments in gaming, playing that up to 99 and being sad that my BBs never got any new nunchucks for half the game and being total shit for damage. Random thought about kung fu movies and hand to hand combats and I unequipped weapons to find out they were OP as fuck.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

ummm...did they take the silver sword out of elf town? that was my grinding level $$ benchmark to proceed to marsh cave, by the time I got 2k or whatever it was, to get it AT LEAST for the warrior... and if I was feeling extra grindy the thief as well.. wtf PSP version?!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ummm...did they take the silver sword out of elf town? that was my grinding level $$ benchmark to proceed to marsh cave, by the time I got 2k or whatever it was, to get it AT LEAST for the warrior... and if I was feeling extra grindy the thief as well.. wtf PSP version?!

Haven't played that far in PSP, is it renamed? Mithril sword maybe?

Siliconemelons

Haven't played that far in PSP, is it renamed? Mithril sword maybe?

Yeah - i ahve only played the NES ff1, so all the "new" and "proper" names are odd lol - but yeah Mythril apparently, some elf was like "you should try mythirl armor and weapons yo!" I am like "WHERE THEY AT"

grinding to get the $$ to buy the silver./mith sword for 1 char made start->earth cave doable ;-)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Thought he didn't punch for more till he was master class change and then its just, WTFBBQ dmg

But, before class change, all "2nd row" classes suck - red mage is the "most" useful just because of his ability to be a numerical spell backup and still puts out dmg that is "okay" while the Thief and BlkBelt cant help with magic and do "okay....maybe less" damage.
Can confirm monk on PSP version at least started doing more dmg h2h prior to converting to class advancement. lvl 10-15ish maybe? It was pretty early.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Ran my dandy ass to Crescent lake out of principle to get my war his silver/mith sword. Vamp is down (1 round...was dissapoint) so it's straight to lich now.

Mana and auto re-target make this a little trivial thus far.

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Does phone version count for this? Was gonna buy it on my vita, but can't find charger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Any version or mod- just enjoy and discuss- and don't forget to tag a forum bro and spread the cheer!!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Look what I just remembered I had bought a long ass time ago.

4D709053-493C-4205-BC5F-0D6E0D99E349.png

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mana and auto re-target make this a little trivial thus far.

you said you've only ever done the NES prior, right man? the magic system is the main reason i went with PSX. i played through the GameBoy Advance version once last year, and it was SO damn easy. basically the only way to get a challenge out of any version GBA or later is to do some sort of "challenge" style starting party.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
OG too tedious, advance remake too easy. I'll stick with my rose colored glasses on this one.

Siliconemelons

you said you've only ever done the NES prior, right man? the magic system is the main reason i went with PSX. i played through the GameBoy Advance version once last year, and it was SO damn easy. basically the only way to get a challenge out of any version GBA or later is to do some sort of "challenge" style starting party.

Yeah I have only played the NES American English version and when I was a kid. I have never done a playthrough on anything else- I may have killed garland or something on an emu...or on psx because I did get the FF5-6 collection and... I think ff1 and 2...if I did I only played 2.

I am doing this run on the PSP version.

Hitting magic 3 and being able to fire2 and lightning2 more than 1-3 times is, insane for bowling through shit.

I should light my first orb/crystal today and do a "from start to X" review etc.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
well, i really WANTED to play the PSX version, but i'm having one hell of a time getting a PSX emulator to work... any good ones out there besides ePSXe, PSXR, and Menanfen?

The GBA version is mostly the same with some bonus content and GBA emulators are a breeze to set up in that there's nothing to set up.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The GBA version is mostly the same with some bonus content and GBA emulators are a breeze to set up in that there's nothing to set up.

The GBA version has the updated magic system that Xadion is complaining about. Very important difference. Also GBA allows saving anywhere outside of battle and has Phoenix downs. I guess I'm perhaps a bit of a masochist as far as being willing to give those up.

I did get PSXeven working relatively easily. Had to try like four or five other emulators first, but was worth it to me.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I was struggling with my trio (am I really the only one doing a "challenge run" here? Son, I am disappoint), but then I remember something I had stashed away:

20181205_080151.jpg

Now I'm playing with power... Nintendo Power, and was able to do this:

20181205_080944.jpg

It's all down the chute from here boys!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Siliconemelons

Earth Fiend down, Fire Fiend down! I got the canoe then decided to wonder and level some, found the volcano then decided to just explore a few floors....

was down into it, so I figured, lets see...

was a rough fight but, KARY or whatever they renamed her fell to my non-class changed wheebos

now to explore, get my damn airship and class change!!

• 1Like